What Employees Say
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Management is competent at running the business.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
What They Do
We asked Intuitive Research and Technology Corporation to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
INTUITIVE is an aerospace engineering and analysis firm providing solutions to defense, commercial, and government customers. We offer a wide array of services in production support, systems and software engineering, product design and development, rapid prototyping, training, and technology management.
About this Company
| Website: www.irtc-hq.com|| Industry: Engineering|
| US Headquarters: Huntsville, Alabama, 35805|| US Sites: 1|
| Major Locations: Huntsville, AL, Alabama, 35805; Andover, MA, Massachusetts, 01824; Panama City, FL, Florida, 32408; El Paso, TX, Texas, 79916; Lufkin, TX, Texas, 75901|| US Employees: 324|
| US Revenues: $271.3 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $271.3 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1999|
Perks and Programs
We asked Intuitive Research and Technology Corporation to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Bonuses and Profit Sharing: INTUITIVE has a very robust bonus program that includes OTS (On-the-Spot) bonuses throughout the year, along with a company-wide bonus activity each year in November. OTSs are significant, and the November bonus given at Thanksgiving is based first on company performance, then on group performance, and then on individual performance. INTUITIVE shares the profit with all employees through a Profit Sharing program. This distribution takes place in the March timeframe, after the books are closed on the previous year, and the money goes into the employee’s 401k account.
- Certification Boot Camps: As an avenue to further develop employees, INTUITIVE provides various boot camps in-house to assist employees in preparation for specific certification exams. Certifications for which boot camps have been provided include PMP (Program Management Professional), CSEP (Certified Systems Engineer Professional), and OCSMP (Certified Systems Modeling Professional of the Object Management Group). The company brings in instructors, provides the materials, and pays for the exam when passed.
- CARE Day: Quarterly, INTUITIVE brings in a physical therapist, a nutritionist, a health food store representative, a massage therapist, and nurses who set up a clinic for CARE Day. Employees contact HR to make appointments, the company pays for everything, and bloodwork results, etc., are sent to the employee’s home address. Creating Awareness Rewards Everyone!
- VIP Leave: INTUITIVE’s Veterans Information Program (VIP) provides a solid networking and information avenue for veterans. It includes an HR VIP Representative who interacts with candidates prior to hire, a VIP Contact Coordinator who contacts/meets with each veteran new hire, a group of volunteer VIP Contacts throughout the company with whom a new hire is connected, several Lunch ‘n Learns per year on veteran-related topics, and VIP Leave. VIP Leave provides up to three days off with pay annually for VA hospital visits or for the mid-tour return of an active duty spouse.
- Benefits Allowance: INTUITIVE provides an annual benefits allowance to each full-time employee to help pay for whatever voluntary benefits choices they have made. The Benefits Allowance is paid out on a per-pay-period basis, and if not used for benefits, becomes additional income.
- ELITE Emerging Leaders: Emerging Leaders is an internal leadership program designed by employees. ELITE stands for “Excellence, Leadership, Innovation, Technology, and Ethics.” An ELITE class is a group of 6 - 8 participants appointed through a structured application process. The program is nine months in length, is implemented in multiple phases, and culminates with a project completion and presentation to the Executives. Components include Coffee with Founders, training sessions for leadership and team building, community involvement and input, and community tours. The program helps class members “Know themselves; Know their team; Know their company, and Know their community.” A formal graduation ceremony follows completion of the program.
- "Let'sTalk Ethics . . . with Hal: INTUITIVE’s Company President, Harold (Hal) Brewer, sits down with new hires in small groups within a month or two of their hire date to talk face-to-face with them about ethics. These meetings, called "Let's Talk Ethics . . . with Hal" include lunch, attendance is mandatory, and along with talking about his expectations and the work environment, the President shares specific incidents in company history where the company made the ethical choice. Employees all take great pride in those stories, and the meetings are a mechanism for passing on who we really are.
- Well-being Programs and App: INTUITIVE’s very robust well-being program includes a designated staff member as Wellness Coordinator, a free on-site gym, free after work/lunchtime exercise classes, an annual Healthy Cooking Class, two weight-loss programs annually (spring Scale Back Alabama and fall Biggest Loser), an internal wellness newsletter, and a wellness room (where CARE Day appointments take place). The overall term is “well-being” rather than “wellness” to capture the endeavor to impact the whole person in a larger sense. For example, the program includes a Self-defense Class for Women, which spouses are allowed to join. A cool phone app shares continual tips and information, reminds employees to drink water and to get up and walk, and is the avenue by which to make appointments, reserve slots for runs, etc.
- Giving Back: The company is very involved in the community and focuses on children and the elderly. Several schools are benefactors of INTUITIVE employee efforts and generosity –reading in classrooms, giving a new book to every child, personal tutoring, holding Engineer Day (with an ice cream truck), giving every child a fresh apple, and so much more. Local agencies know the company well, as its involvement is far-reaching while being targeted and effective. The local Downtown Rescue Mission states that “INTUITIVE employees have donated more and done more for (the Downtown Rescue Mission) than the rest of the city put together.” Employees take a lot of pride in knowing they make a difference and they voice appreciation for being given the opportunity to do so.
- Service Milestones: Employees at INTUITIVE truly value time spent with the CEO and the President, so the celebration of Service Milestones is designed around that premise. At 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. years of service those celebrated employees have lunch with the CEO and Company President and receive monetary recognition. Lunch is catered in-house and is a china-crystal-silver affair. Although there are set general suggestions for the monetary recognition amounts for each level, these remain discretionary in order for outstanding performers to be awarded more.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 5% of salary||100% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Full-time employees and part-time employees working an average of at least 30 hours per week)|
| 38% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Full-time employees and part-time employees working an average of at least 30 hours per week)|| $23,000 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 25 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 25 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (30% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (10% use it)
- Subsided On- or Off-site Fitness (96% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (An on-site gym, free fitness classes, a Canteen with healthy food options, occasional chair massages (outside of CARE Day), mail drop-off, four well-outfitted kitchens, free parking, free notary public services)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||49 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||9 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$2,500 Adoption benefit||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $66,143 Philanthropic donations in last year|| VP over Engineering and Design, but really all of us Leads environmental impact team|
| Third-Party Conducted Environmental impact audit|| 1 LEED certified building(s)|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Carbon offset program|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Company President and Director of Human Resources/Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Officer is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- 4 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Intuitive Research and Technology Corporation for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
- Honesty, superior ethics
- Interpersonal savvy, excellent communication skills
- Ability to be a team player
- Positive attitude
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We look for candidates who have the characteristics we seek (listed in the previous section) and who are intelligent and have the experience and credentials we need in terms of education, certifications, etc. Above of all of that, we strive to make a good match between the company and the candidate. Not everyone is a fit for every company, and we work hard at trying to only hire those individuals for whom we are a good match and who are a match for us as well. When it works from both perspectives . . . , it works.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always looking for engineers and analysts, at various experience levels, and try to continually interview and identify individuals who are a match for us and us for them, making us ready to fill customer needs that may arise unexpectedly. We especially are hoping to meet qualifying candidates who are veterans returning from service.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Candidates should check out our website at www.irtc-hq.com to learn about us, keep an eye on the careers site for an opening for which they may qualify and have an interest, and then apply.
| 40 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 2% Job Growth|
| 75 Average applicants per opening|| 4,620 Total job applicants|
| 58% New hires by employee referrals|| 9% Openings filled by current employees|
| 5 Recent graduates hired|| 5% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 3% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|