What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People care about each other here.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
What They Do
We asked Insigniam to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Insigniam works with large, complex organizations in generating breakthroughs in their management results—whether that be in topline growth, strategy implementation, innovation, profitability growth, or culture change. Offices are located in Philadelphia, Laguna Beach, Paris, London, and Hong Kong.
About this Company
| Website: http://insigniam.com/|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Dover, Delaware, 19902|| US Sites: 2|
| Major Locations: Narberth, Pennsylvania, 19072; Laguna Beach, California, 92651|| US Employees: 40|
| Employees Worldwide: 56|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 2005|
Perks and Programs
We asked Insigniam to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Transparency of Performance and Inclusion in Building the Future: Every week, the entire company gets on a video conference in order to plan, share financial and critical information, cause alignment, and further individual, team, and firm development. Including the whole team goes beyond this call, too. Reports are published weekly with firm, team, and individual accomplishments; sales and other KPIs, such as NPS, revenue and MBCs, are reviewed firm-wide on a quarterly basis. Insigniam created a twenty-year strategic Frame in 2016 at a three-day meeting attended by diverse team members ranging from the two founding partners to support staff as well as our youngest consultants (literally on their first day of the job).
- Benefits: Insigniam make a 3% of salary contribution to each team member’s 401k (after their first full year) regardless of employee match. We also provide health insurance, life insurance (Own Occupation), and long-term disability insurance to each team member at no cost to them. The firm allows for medical, dental, and vision benefits for team members in a domestic partnership. After the birth or adoption of a child, Insigniam offers up to five weeks of paid maternity leave (eight weeks unpaid) and up to two weeks of paid paternity leave.
- Annual Firm Meeting: Every year Insigniam hosts a firm-wide meeting to celebrate the year that has passed and create the upcoming year together. Every team member—partners, consultants, and our support staff from all around the world—is flown in to attend the meeting. After a celebratory awards dinner, days are spent working together on growing and building the business in areas such as strategy, new markets, new skills to elevate our effectiveness, and building Insigniam’s future plans together. After productive days of work (which usually include JibJab videos and skits roasting the founders as an occasional reprieve), we get connected in fun activities such as boating, Escape the Rooms, laser tag, bowling competitions, and arcade games.
- Ownership & Profit Sharing: There is a clear track for earning equity ownership based on performance; ownership is earned on merit-only basis and there is no subjective criteria. Although Insigniam was founded by two men and a woman, today through this merit-based partnership track, Insigniam is now majority-owned by women.
- Time Off to Volunteer: Team members are granted three days off paid to volunteer for a charity or cause near to their hearts. In the past, team members have taken this time to volunteer for organizations such as HelpHopeLive (fundraising for unmet medical expenses), Mission House (facility serving homeless), Women in Ministry, the Women’s Foundation in Hong Kong, the End Violence Project, and the Dallas Opera. They have built orphanages, collected food for the homeless, fundraised for animal shelters, and rebuilt homes following Hurricane Katrina. In line with Insigniam’s commitment to empowering women in business, consultants are given time to volunteer with the Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association, a global non-profit organization dedicated to furthering the advancement of women in healthcare worldwide.
- Recognition and Getting RelatedRecognition and Getting Related: When people first join the company, they do a four-week onboarding program. Part of the onboarding program is to get related to people, processes, etc. in our firm. This includes 12 individual conversations with people from a variety of functions to deepen one’s network immediately. We also have periodic campaigns to take time and acknowledge others publicly by firm-wide email. A portion of our weekly all-team calls are dedicated to team members’ publicly acknowledging each other for their good work.
Each month, the twelve partners call two people with whom they do not work with regularly, to chat and explore how the team member is doing in their satisfaction in their job, any ideas they have to contribute, and their long-term career plans.
- Bonuses: We have created a management by commitment (MbC) program. Every team member (receptionist through partners) is eligible for a bonus based on their performance against their commitments in four areas: their contribution to Insigniam’s yearly outcomes, their basic accountabilities, their own development, and increasing Insigniam’s growth. If the firm exceeds its sales, revenue, and NPS goals, there is an additional uncapped company-wide bonus. Our total monetary compensation ranks in the 95th percentile as benchmarked by the Compensation Metrics in US Consulting research conducted by Kennedy Consulting Research & Advisory (now ALM Intelligence).
- Perks: Consultants keep the frequent flier miles and corporate credit card points they earn from working at Insigniam. Each consultant receives a Kindle, iPad, phone and cellular plan, as well as a high-speed WiFi network, equipment, and office furniture if working from home. When a consultant sells $1 million in a year, they receive an extravagant gift of a piece of jewelry or Swiss watch. All team members are subscribed to our Apple Joint Venture account, which gives priority access for appointments and repairs at the Apple Store.
- Pro Bono Consulting Engagements: Insigniam consultants have the opportunity to offer their services and expertise pro bono. In the past, our consultants have worked with myriad organizations, including the Boy Scouts of America; Catalyst, an organization dedicated to women’s parity in the workplace, now expanded to the LGBTQI communities; the Trevor Project (as a result of the work, the organization shifted from being the only 24-hour suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth to being a movement committed to ending discrimination); the Academy of Motion Picture Arts; the David Suzuki Foundation, one of the world’s most known environmental agencies; World Vision, an organization that provides micro loans to empower people to generate lives of self-reliance in Myanmar; and the U.S. Air Force Academy.
- Performance Awards: Each year, team members receive awards including Inspiring the Firm, Service & Support, Teamwork, Increasing His/Her Value, and Going Above and Beyond. At this dinner, we honor team members celebrating their 5th, 10th, or 15th year with Insigniam with a special, memorable gift. At 20 years of service, team members get an additional month paid time off for that year. This award is given for every subsequent five years of service. We also have games throughout the year in areas such as social media engagement, new client appointments, etc. If as a team we hit game targets, there is a fun reward for everyone in the firm. In the past, rewards have included movie tickets/popcorn, Starbucks drinks, ice cream, gift cards, and money.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 24 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 26 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 26 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (43% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (45% have access)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|40 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||25 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|10 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|40 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)||25 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
Community and Environmental Impact
| 24 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $67,281 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
How to Get Hired
We asked Insigniam for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
The easy answer is ‘cultural fit,’ though the more accurate response is more nuanced. Insigniam is constituted to serve, making those who are a great fit those with a heart for contribution, generosity, and service above self. Insigniam’s work is in the human factor, so those who are a great fit are great with others: they find possibility, joy, and inspiration in themselves and those with whom they live and work.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Insigniam is always interested in knowing who is available in the marketplace. Traditional means, of course, include LinkedIn and sharing of one’s C.V. Following and interacting with the firm via social media is also one place that helps an individual standout.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Insigniam is a thought-leader for the practice of management and leadership. Our quarterly journal – Insigniam Quarterly® – is a fantastic place to read about the work of our clients, what is opening up in various industries, and places and approaches Insigniam uses to make a difference with those with whom we work. The same is true for our blog postings and our LinkedIn and Facebook activity.
| 5% Job Growth|| 38% Openings filled by current employees|
| 8% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|