Hunter Industries is family-owned, and employees feel taken care of thanks to benefits like an on-site wellness facility and profit sharing. What’s more, pride is strong and tenures are long.

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 736 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 1.17. It was published on Dec 10, 2014. 4217 Visitors

What You Should Know

"Family" is a word employees use a lot to describe this maker of sprinkler and irrigation systems. Hunter Industries is family-owned, and employees feel taken care of thanks to benefits like an on-site wellness facility, profit sharing and the annual employee appreciation day. "Pride" also is big here, as staffers like the fact that Hunter products end up in high-profile locations such as theme parks, national landmarks and sports stadiums. Thanks to the profit-sharing program, eight in 10 employees say they receive a fair share of the company's overall profits, though some would like to see more baseline earnings. Overall, most are happy to remain at Hunter Industries, with nearly nine in 10 praising its friendliness, community-impact and flexibility. Employee tenure averages a remarkable 13 years, with just 4 percent annual attrition. And 85 percent of staffers say they want to work there a long time.

Says one employee of their winning combination: "Everyone is extremely friendly AND very good at what they do."

WHAT THEY DO

Hunter Industries makes irrigation, landscape lighting and custom manufacturing products.

US Headquarters: San Marcos, California US Sites: 1
Major Locations: San Marcos US Employees: 822
Employees worldwide: 1553 Founded: 1981
Industry: Manufacturing & Production

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Hunter Industries, 68 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 21 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 89 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Hunter Industries employees make irrigation, landscape lighting and custom manufacturing products. The company has approximately 822 employees in the United States, where they operate a single facility.

Most employees (75 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and many (81 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (77 percent), their work at Hunter Industries is more than just a job: it provides special meaning.

At Hunter Industries, 72 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $5,000
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 52 hours
People work together to try and send quality products out the door to the customer. We are always striving for ways to get better, which makes it exciting to work here.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Hunter Industries, 70 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 20 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 90 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Based in San Marcos, California, Hunter Industries features a park-like campus that includes a soccer field, a volleyball court and walking trails. There's also a well-equipped, on-site, LEED-certified wellness facility.

Eighty-four percent of employees describe their working environment as consistently friendly. Seven out of 10 or more employees call it caring, fun, with a family or team feeling, and a place where people feel comfortable being themselves . In fact, 75 percent actually look forward to coming to work.

Fun and Celebrations

  • Big events like Employee Appreciation Day, Profit Share Day, the annual employee party and smaller departmental activities build team spirit and create opportunities for fun.

Caring and Support

  • Hunter supports employees' wellness through an on-site LEED certified wellness facility, an incentivized wellness program, health and wellness coaching and a beautiful park-like campus that includes a soccer field, a volleyball court and walking trails.
People celebrate special events around here.
70%
 
Hunter is a great place to work because of the friendly atmosphere and support that employees give each other. Hunter hires people who want to give their best each day and it makes a difference.

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Hunter Industries, 69 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 21 percent report they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 90 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

I like the benefits, opportunity for advancement, educational assistance, and projects for improvement.

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 80% Company-paid health coverage for employees
100% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 4% of an employee's contribution  
 

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
 

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

31 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment $1,500 Adoption benefit
 
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
87%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
77%
 
Great work environment which promotes health and wellness. Balance between work and personal life.

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Hunter Industries, 80 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 15 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Hunter Industries does business in 125 countries, and its products can be found everywhere -- from residential landscapes, to stadiums, national landmarks, theme parks, city parks, commercial complexes, hotels, and municipal buildings around the world.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
88%
 
We are winning because we are all rowing the boat together in the same direction. (It's a) great feeling.

Supporting the Community

I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
87%
 
Incredible legacy of innovative products coupled with a family work environment and generous community contributions makes us feel proud to serve and wear our name Hunter on our shirts. We look up to the Hunter Family as industry and community leaders.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Hunter Industries, 68 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 22 percent sometimes have this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 90 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Most Hunter Industries employees know what's expected of them and feel management is personable. Seventy-two percent of staffers say managers make their expectations clear, and the same number experience managers as approachable and easy to talk with. Nearly as many (71 percent) say they can ask leaders any reasonable question and get a straight answer. 

This organization has lots of activities, great people with positive attitude, and a new CEO that is willing to listen to its employees whether it's good or bad.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Hunter Industries, 66 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 23 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 89 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Hunter Industries employees widely appreciate the sense of pride their leaders encourage at the company. Staffers portray managers as effective and operating with integrity. Eighty-three percent say leaders are competent at running the business, and 74 percent say leaders have a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. Eighty-one percent feel managers are honest and ethical in their business practices. In addition, 72 percent of employees believe managers would lay people off only as a last resort.

The owners make a point to get to know the new people, and be visible.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Wellness: Hunter Industries employees can take advantage of an on-site wellness facility, health and wellness coaching and a wellness program with incentives. 
  • Corporate Campus: Hunter Industries' campus in Southern California includes a soccer field, a volleyball court and walking trails.
  • Profit sharing: The company sets aside a portion of profits to share with employees.
  • Employee Appreciation Day: Hunter Industries celebrates employees' achievements with a special day.
  • Longevity: Employees tend to stick around at Hunter Industries. The average tenure is 13 years, and the attrition rate is just 4 percent annually.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Hunter Industries employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

Word Cloud

"Honest concern for the employee and his/her family. "Got your back" support throughout organization. Confidence knowing your employment is safe as long as you do what is required and improve your skill each year."

"Focus on family and a healthy work environment - emotionally and psychologically. Reasonable expectations."

"The people, the culture and the lack of layers within the company. The accessibility of communication amongst all employees, regardless of their position with the company. Lack of egos amongst my team and regional manager that creates a positive synergy. Best idea wins, regardless of whose idea it is. That makes Hunter a great place to work, where you feel like you have a voice and can make a difference that impacts the success of the company."

"The open communication. I can talk to anyone in the company, even the president, about what's going on if I felt I wanted to or needed to."

"It is successful in business and plans to strategically grow in the future."

"Management genuinely cares about every employee, and shows that in more ways than one."

"Sense of family and support among the staff. Overall commitment to doing good work as quickly and effectively as possible."

"In my position, I deal with the end users of Hunter products, and I have been able to develop strong relationships with these people, It makes the long days on the road more palatable. Being able to provide answers and solutions to customer issues/problems makes me feel I have done my job."

"Hunter is a great place to work because of the benefit costs and profit sharing. You add in the people and it becomes even better."

"Hunter has always made me feel like the employee if family. Its culture is one of caring about the employees, and customers. It is not all about the bottom line. It is a socially responsible organization. It is creative in it's approach to employees health with programs like Life Shift and an on campus fitness facility."

"The opportunity to have a balanced professional and personal life. Promoting an active and healthy life-style while challenging me in the workplace."

"Hunter has very open atmosphere, we have been empowered to use our skills and abilities to do our job, which is to meet the sales/profit goals of the organization. In addition, there is great flexibility to accomplish that goal. I have worked here a significant part of my career and have had a great time contributing to the Companies growth. Finally, I have had a good open and frank professional relationship with my manager."

How to Get Hired

We asked Hunter Industries for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

Our interview process allows us to gauge the educational and work experience and technical and communication skills to qualify the candidate for each specific career opportunity. At Hunter, we take it a step further to assess the candidate's interpersonal skills to ensure they're aligned with our company values of Customer Satisfaction, Innovation, Family, and Citizenship. We want to preserve our low turnover and high average tenure so we also determine the cultural fit of all candidates. Culturally, Hunter employees are proud, spirited, enthusiastic and supportive of one another. They are fun and friendly and they encourage one another. They are dedicated to delivering results.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Of course, we invite candidates to submit resumes and applications to our online job board. To take it a step further, talent considering a career opportunity at Hunter should build a networking relationship with our Manager of Talent Acquisition via email or with an invitation to connect on LinkedIn. Candidates can also follow the Hunter company page on LinkedIn so they have access to jobs as soon as they open, to learn about company updates and have visibility to networking events such as open houses and campus tours offered at various times throughout the year.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

A unique part of our application process includes the Predictive Index (PI) assessment. The Predictive Index behavioral assessment is a science-based assessment that provides managers with accurate, actionable data quantifying the unique motivating needs and behavioral drives of each employee and potential employee. The PI is a practical, quick, and easy-to-use solution for gathering employee insights. The assessment takes approximately 10 minutes to complete, and allows for clients to interpret results on a candidate immediately. The Predictive Index is work-related, free of bias, valid and reliable. It can be used for both selection and career development opportunities. The PI is used widely across multiple industries, jobs, levels, company sizes, growth trajectories, and business models. It is available online in 68 languages, and is used in more than 140 countries. A paper-based version of the PI is available in Braille.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

We are growing and we need talent to fill roles in the growing business units: Engineering: Mechanical, Electrical, Embedded Firmware, Development, Software Quality Assurance. Marketing: Creative Development, Multimedia. Sales: Domestic, International. Technical Support: Call Center Services, Field Services. Of course, we will need talent in other areas when vacancies arise so we also hire talent in departments such as Administration, Distribution, Facilities, Human Resources, Information Services, Logistics, Molding, Procurement, Production and Assembly and Tooling.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Learn about our company and our culture by visiting our corporate webpage. Check out our current career opportunities on our job board. Follow us on LinkedIn. Connect with our Manager of Talent Acquisition via LinkedIn. Read our reviews on glassdoor.com. Read our reviews on Indeed.com. Email us: Careers@hunterindustries.com

Hiring Outlook

-13%Job Growth 6%Total voluntary turnover in past year
2530Applicants in past year 53%New hires by employee referrals

Related Companies