What Employees Say
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
This is a physically safe place to work.
I feel I receive a fair share of the profits made by this organization.
What They Do
We asked Hilcorp to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are one of the largest privately-held oil and natural gas E&P companies in the US. We are the largest oil producer in Louisiana. Headquartered in Houston, TX, we primarily operate in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, the Northeast US and Alaska.
About this Company
| Website: www.hilcorp.com|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: Houston, Texas|| US Sites: 21|
| Major Locations: Anchorage, Alaska|| US Employees: 1,422|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1989|
Perks and Programs
We asked Hilcorp to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Buy-In Incentive Plan: This unique long-term incentive program provides all full-time employees the opportunity to build personal wealth over time by allowing them to participate in Hilcorp projects and as the projects start generating positive cash flow, the employees share in the return.
- Bonus Program: Every employee’s annual bonus is aligned with Company's goals - "When Hilcorp Wins, We all Win" - and bonus payout percentages are the same for all full-time employees. Our target bonus is 30% with a stretch bonus of 60%. During the past five years, all employees have received an average of 36% of their base salary annually.
- The Hilcorp Giving Program: The Company will establish a charitable trust of $2,500 to help employees support any U.S. based 501(c)(3) organization. Hilcorp also helps increase an employee’s giving power by providing on-going matching gifts up to $2,000 per year. Employees have donated more than $9 million to charities of their choice through this program.
- Mega Plans - BHAG's: Every 5 years Hilcorp sets a Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) that is truly a stretch goal with equally audacious rewards! For example, the latest BHAG, Dream 2015, was recently achieved by doubling rate, reserves and value in 5 years. Everyone received (prorated based on hire date) $100,000!!! Stay tuned for our newest BHAG - Northbound 275!
- Hilcorp Helping Hands: The Hilcorp Helping Hands (HHH) program was initially organized by employees in our Houston office after hurricanes devastated the homes of more than 60 co-workers in Louisiana. The program provided housing, food and clothing to impacted employees. HHH has since been formalized as a way to help Hilcorp employees who have encountered unusual, unexpected, long-term financial hardship. HHH is overseen by an employee committee comprised of representatives from each major division, structured to provide a voice for all types of our employees and is fully supported by our leadership team. This program is fully funded through employee cash donations and payroll deductions.
- Hilcorp Cares (Chaplains: The Marketplace Chaplains USA program is a free, confidential service designed to offer help to employees and their families when they are in need. They have even officiated employee’s weddings! The non-denominational chaplains make regular visits to Hilcorp facilities, and they are also available on a 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week basis through a toll-free telephone number.
- Talent Scout Referral Program: Employees are directly rewarded through our Talent Scout program. In the past two years, we have paid out over $118,000 to our employees! Employees receive $50 for any candidate interviewed and $2,500 for every candidate hired. The amount paid is grossed up so the referring employee realizes the full $2,500 award!
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary||86% Company-paid health coverage for employees (Employee ONLY coverage tier)|
| 79% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (Employee + Family Tier)|| 86% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- On-site package/mailing service
- Fitness classes
- Free beverages during the day
- Discount ticket sales
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 20 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 10 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 10 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 8 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (45% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||55 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center (at some locations)
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
- Medical facilities (at some locations)
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| $615,957 Philanthropic donations in last year|| $677,500 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|
- 'Sr. Human Resources Manager' is accountable to formal diversity goals for employee recruitment and retention
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
How to Get Hired
We asked Hilcorp for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We focus on the five characteristics that make up our core values when conducting interviews in addition to evaluating the individuals technical ability. Individuals with an enterprenurial spirit who take ownership in their daily work and actions, who act with urgency and enjoy a fast paced challenging environment will be successful at Hilcorp. They must demonstrate honesty and integrity in all of their actions, think of innovative ways to do things and have a desire to see their plans and ideas put into action.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We get excited when a candidate not only knows our values but can give us examples of how they have demonstrated them throughout their career as well as in their personal lives.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
In the coming year we will be focused strongly on continuing to build our technical expertise by hiring engineers, geologists and other petro-technical individuals.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates should visit our website www.hilcorp.com for a full listing of available openings and the application process.
| 30 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 2% Job Growth|
| 57 Average applicants per opening|| 6,659 Applications received|
| 117 Positions filled in past year|| 10% New hires by employee referrals|
| 88 New positions created|| 42 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 9 New graduates hired|
| 4% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|