What Employees Say
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People care about each other here.
Management is competent at running the business.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
What They Do
We asked Hausmann-Johnson Insurance, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Through our five distinct business units: property and casualty insurance, employee benefits, surety, personal insurance, and wealth management, we provide client tailored risk management products and services.
About this Company
| Website: http://hausmann-johnson.com|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: Madison, Wisconsin, 53715|| US Sites: 1|
| US Employees: 72|| Corporate Structure: Partnership|
| Founded: 1946|
Perks and Programs
We asked Hausmann-Johnson Insurance, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Communications and Team Building: Employees have frequent opportunities to interact with Leadership, through brief bi-weekly all-company update meetings, executive led group lunches for birthdays each month, one-on-one executive lunches, all-company off-site quarterly meetings, and other company events. Owners and executives work side by side with employees to take care of the client, rolling up their sleeves to get the job done. HJI strives for a transparent culture where there are no barriers between staff and management.
- Community Involvement: From Executives to Interns, HJI participates in a variety of community events, including giving employees 8 hrs/year in paid volunteer time, hosting a fundraiser for our local children's hospital (raising $74,000 in 2016), sponsoring community run/walks, etc. HJI actively supports United Way, sending approximately half of the workforce to Day of Caring projects in 2016, and making matching contributions for employee donations. Other employee team volunteering included things like Salvation Army Red Kettle bell ringing, an Earth Day park cleanup team, and participation in the WI Public Television Telethon. With approx. 72 employees, in 2016 we had 260 total hours of volunteering with 52 employees volunteering at least once during the year.
- Employee Empowerment: Employees at all levels know that they are the face of the company, and are empowered to do what it takes to meet client needs on a daily basis, often working across departments to offer excellent customer service. HJI also empowers employees to drive their own career with written career paths, and an average of 50 hours of training per year.
- Time for Fun: A cross departmental Event Committee plans monthly (sometimes bi-weekly) events for the entire company including holiday events, Office Olympics, in-house golf tournaments, Dog Days, potlucks, and after work “happy hours.”
- Flexibility: HJI recognizes that life doesn’t always follow a standard workday schedule. HJI supports modified or shortened work schedules, time off for personal priorities like coaching kids sports, working from home as needed (snow storms, repair man scheduled, etc), telecommuting arrangements, and phased retirement.
- Wellness: Wellness is a part of the culture of HJI, and enthusiasm for a healthy lifestyle comes from the top; the President is a former professional hockey player. The HJI Wellness Program includes fitness challenges, lunch n learns, on-site fitness programs, monthly on-site chair massage, and annual biometric screening. HJI is located adjacent to a city bike path, where employees can enjoy biking or walking to a nearby lake. An on-site shower facility takes away the biggest excuse for not exercising! Fresh fruit is provide to employees on a regular basis, which is a nice perk since HJI has no soda machines or vending machines.
- Career Development: Start to finish, HJI supports career development at all stages of the employee’s career. New hires receive a written career ladder, to give them a possible track to follow. If they express interest in other things during their tenure with us, as a smaller company we are able to be flexible in modifying or even creating opportunities for employees to explore their interests. As an employee reaches retirement age, we work with the employee to develop a transition plan, allowing schedule modifications, telecommuting, part time work, reduced responsibilities, etc to help the employee ease into the next chapter of his/her life.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 4% of salary||80% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 65% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 80% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 25 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 25 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 15 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 8 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 5 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (20% use it)
- Telecommute option (10% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (A robust Wellness Program including challenges, education, and management support.
On-site fitness classes twice a week.
Weekly walking groups.
Coordinated lunchtime walk to local summer outdoor concerts.
Bike path adjacent to property.
On site shower facility.
Monthly happy hour at local bar.
Occasional beirgarten in house (beer and snacks after work in the breakroom).
Fresh Fruit Tuesday once a month (free fresh fruit).
Free parking for work and University sporting events.
On-site massage once a month.
Locally sourced fresh produce delivery.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $75,187 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| $2,675 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
How to Get Hired
We asked Hausmann-Johnson Insurance, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We look for applicants who have a strong service mentality. Our work is all about servicing the client, and each other, so we look for individuals who will be a team player, a good problem solver, collaborative, and take initiative. A desire to "own" the client relationship and be accountable to the client and the team is important. An interest in continuous learning and a track record of giving back to the community round out our ideal characteristics.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Get to know us by visiting our website and facebook page. Help us get to know you by sending a resume with a cover letter. It's that simple.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are often looking to add to our support staff. A passion for customer service, and a team attitude are important traits in our support roes. Prior insurance industry experience is not required, just a desire to learn and grow in an ever evolving industry. We are also always interested in talking to experienced Sales professionals. A successful salesperson is typically personable, persistent, confident, a bit competitive, and flexible.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates can learn more about us through our Facebook page, our LinkedIn page, and our website. Our website is updated with new opportunities as they arise.
| 5 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 6% Job Growth|
| 54 Average applicants per opening|| 487 Total job applicants|
| 12% New hires by employee referrals|| 25% Openings filled by current employees|
| 1 Recent graduates hired|| 6% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|