Whether they like classic cars and boats or not, employees at Hagerty rave about its fun, friendly and family-like nature as well as its community support. Benefits galore.



This review is based on 443 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.38. It was published on Sep 13, 2014. 7212 Visitors

What You Should Know

Like classic cars? You'll probably thrive at Hagerty. Not that into them? You'll probably thrive at Hagerty. Not surprisingly, this Michigan insurer of classic cars and boats has made collector automobiles a big part of its appeal. Employees here, many of whom are gear heads, can help restore vintage cars; top sellers get to drive classic cars and a lobby display showcases the finest rides around. But Hagerty's appeal goes beyond the flash. Almost everyone here raves about its friendliness, team feeling and community giving programs. The company invests in its employees' professional development and employees say leaders are communicative, respectful and ethical. Some would like to see more zeros in their paycheck, but overall an incredible 95 percent say Hagerty is a great workplace. "The culture is extremely unique," one employee says. "Employees are passionate about the company, the customers and our coworkers."


Hagerty provides classic car and boat insurance. In addition to insurance, the company offers roadside assistance and a variety of hobby tools, services and resources, including Hagerty Classic Cars magazine and the Hagerty Price Guide.

Website: www.hagerty.com US Headquarters: Traverse City, Michigan
US Sites: 2 Major Locations: Traverse City, MI; Denver, CO
US Employees: 599 Employees Worldwide: 29
Founded: 1985 Industry: Financial Services & Insurance

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected Hagerty employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. An average of 87 percent of Hagerty employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 10 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

The vast majority of employees (94 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and many (89 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (86 percent), their work at Hagerty is more than just a job: it is the chance to work with pieces of history and be immersed in classic car culture.

At Hagerty, 91 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Hagerty, 76 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 9 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 20 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 45 hours
  • Hagerty has Hagerty University, which provides experiences that cultivate individual and organizational learning, knowledge, insight and performance. This year, the company added an online learning management system where employees can browse a catalog of classes.
I really feel that Hagerty invests a lot of time and money into each of its employees. We are each given opportunities for growth through classes, observations and training goals.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

An average of 92 percent of Hagerty employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 6 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

As a representation of the company's business, employees can look forward to the ever-changing displays of collector cars and wooden boats on the main level of the Hagerty office building.

Fun and Celebrations

  • The Hagerty team enjoys quarterly appreciation lunches, Friday ice cream socials between Memorial Day and Labor Day, themed annual holiday parties, an annual employee picnic with a family theme and various other fun events in individual departments.

Caring and Support

  • The Hagerty team aims to be supportive when it comes to life events, both happy and difficult. The company arranges time off for people on a case-by-case basis and employees can donate time off to each other. The company also has a comprehensive wellness program and offers a daily meditation class at work.
People celebrate special events around here.
Everyone here is a family. It shows in the way we greet each other in the hallway and the way we act toward our community. We love our jobs, our co-workers and our community. Being a big company we still have the small, local business feel.



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

An average of 85 percent of Hagerty employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 11 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

The benefits, especially the volunteer and health benefits, really set this company apart. Moreover, the dedication of resources to ensure personal and professional development (namely Hagerty University) is fantastic.


$31,621 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Licensed Sales Agent $68,340 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Manager
100% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 4% of an employee's contribution 89% Company-paid health coverage for employees
88% Company-paid health coverage for dependents


  • 401(k)
  • Pre-tax savings account


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
  • Fitness classes
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Onsite package/mailing service


18 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment 60 days Job Protected Leave maternity provided under FMLA


  • Unpaid Sabbaticals
  • Telecommute Option (5% use it)
  • Lactation Rooms
  • Flexible Schedule (60% use it)
  • Compressed Workweeks (4% use it)
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
They make everyone feel welcome, and respect our choices. I live 60 miles away and literally took a leap of faith to take this job. My managers are always conscious of this and make me feel like they care. They always try to take my commute into consideration. I stay here in town during the week (at least for the winter months), and miss my family, but working at Hagerty is worth it. I love my job!


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care


  • Cholesterol Tests
  • Flu Shots
  • Fitness Center
  • Blood Pressure Screening
  • Complete Biometric Screening
  • Subsidized Onsite Gym Memberships

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

An average of 93 percent of Hagerty employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact, and the company's reputation in the world. Another 6 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 99 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Founded in 1985, Hagerty is a fixture in the world of classic cars. The company also promotes and protects the hobby by supporting nonprofits like the Hagerty Education Program at America's Car Museum and the Historic Vehicle Association.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
As large as we have grown, I still feel like it was from the beginning, a family business. We are treated so wonderfully here and people within the community can even see it from the outside. I am proud to be employed here.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 16 hours
  • Hagerty supports nonprofits related to classic cars as well as other community groups. Last year, the company's "Drive for Charity" challenged employees to generate 2,500 hours of community service over 10 business days. Employees came through, leading the company to donate $25,000 to a local Michigan charity.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Hagerty encourages and rewards employees for community service and even has a link on the employee website with recommendations or upcoming events.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

An average of 86 percent of Hagerty employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 11 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Hagerty employees provide classic car and boat insurance to their clients. Two common positions within the company are licensed sales agents and managers. The company has approximately 599 employees in the United States, where they operate two locations.

Overall, employees have a positive experience communicating with their managers. Eighty-five percent say management makes its expectations clear, while nine out of 10 employees find their managers approachable and easy to talk to. A close 88 percent say they can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer, and 86 percent feel that management genuinely seeks and responds to ideas and suggestions.

Management listens to issues anyone has and deals with them in a fair and unique way. No one is singled out in group discussions about issues, and if there is an issue, they discuss it with you and offer a chance to help fix it.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

An average of 87 percent of Hagerty employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions, and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 10 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Employees take great pride working under the leadership at Hagerty. They also widely appreciate the family atmosphere their managers encourage. Employees express confidence in their managers' integrity and business skills. A large majority (94 percent) report that management is honest and ethical in its business practices. Ninety-three percent say management is competent at running the business and 92 percent say managers have a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. Staffers also feel leaders are concerned about their job security, with 92 percent saying they believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.

My first week on the job, the CFO found out that there were a few new hires in the accounting department, so he scheduled a meeting with us. When we arrived at his office, he suggested we all go down to the café, where he treated us to coffee and a great overview on the company's business model and where it was going. I was impressed that someone of his stature was taking the time to discuss such personal information about the company's financials and the direction of the business model. Since that first day I have seen this type of behavior over and over again by employees of all titles.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Employee Vehicle Restoration Projects: Hagerty believes it's important to provide all its employees with the true experience of restoring a classic vehicle. Every employee is invited to sign up to help restore the current vehicle in progress. They could end up doing anything from stripping paint to assembling seats. Employees are encouraged to blog about their experiences on the company intranet, Gearbox.
  • New Book Club: The Octane Book Club encourages employees to read and discuss timely business and personal leadership topics. The company CEO chooses the books, and each employee who participates in the book club is rewarded with 5,000 overdrive points in the employee recognition system.
  • Birthdays Off: Hagerty employees get a paid day off for their birthdays. They can take the day off on their actual birthday or any other day of their choosing.
  • Time Off for Community Service: Part of Hagerty's philosophy is to focus on the community. All employees are provided with 16 hours of paid time off per year for community service, which can involve any type of volunteer work or working with any philanthropic organization. Employees can take time off during their regularly scheduled hours or be paid for hours that are outside of work time.
  • Health and Wellness Reimbursements: Hagerty offers reimbursements for health and wellness activities in three categories. The first is a wellness reimbursement up to $150 annually to all employees for any type of wellness activity they choose, such as gym memberships, fitness classes and weight loss programs. The second is an event/race reimbursement, and the third is a $240 bike-to-work reimbursement for employees who choose to ride a bike to work for a full year.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Hagerty employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

Word Cloud

"We insure more than just antique cars and wooden boats. In many cases we insure their family legacy and a piece of history. This gives us a sense of purpose over and beyond just insurance."

"I have never seen a company that puts so much time and effort in training to assure confidence in their new hires; this then flows over to the customer in getting the best service possible. "

"We have a genuine family atmosphere. While our business is insurance, we are so much more than that. It is the most caring place I have ever worked because we are in an environment where we are all working together for a common goal. We keep people — employees, coworkers, clients and community — at the forefront at all times."

"Hagerty invests in its employees' well-being. We celebrate wins and losses as a group and individually. One of the core values at Hagerty is 'Work hard, feel good.' People feel good about working at Hagerty not because it’s a job, but because each day is an opportunity to make a difference. Each day employees can make an impact. This impact can be on our clients, in our community, on the business or on ourselves."

"Hagerty does an amazing amount of philanthropic giving to our community. One of our employee benefits allows up to 16 hours of paid time per year to volunteer in our community. This benefit encourages employees to volunteer and is a win-win for our community."

"We don't punch out for lunch or breaks; they are included in the eight-hour work day, so we get back about four hours a week to spend with our friends or family."

"Hagerty is very unique in that we make the insurance business fun for both employees on the business side and clients on the consumer side. The level of education and employee growth encouraged by the company is very unique — even to the extent of providing a hands-on employee restoration project each year."

"We have amazing and ever-changing collector cars and wooden boats displayed on the main level of our office building, we learn how to work on cars at our offsite garage, we are paid to give our time to volunteer efforts in the community and we are given a paid opportunity to attend hobby events across the country."

"Hagerty encourages fitness and has provided a gym for us, and they have offered free meditation classes to help ease our stress."

"Hagerty has a real sense of belonging. There is a sense of family within the departments and community within the company. They really care about the employees. There is often some small surprise at your desk, or a treat around the corner."

"You're more than a commodity at Hagerty you're a professional. Managers recognize and seek to utilize talents, emphasize professional advancement and encourage skill development."

"Hagerty has a mission to be much more to the collector/classic car community than just insurance. We really work hard to take care of this hobby we love in a way that helps it sustain viability, with things like helping children understand cars and the history behind them, helping people understand and forecast the market for these cars, helping record the history behind the classic car community and cars, and many (many many!) other things."

How to Get Hired

We asked Hagerty for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

Hagerty values culture fit as much as they do skill set. They look for candidates who are well-rounded and interested in work-life balance, and also for those who display what they term the "H-Factor." The H-Factor describes the unique qualities that Hagerty is looking for in its ideal employees: the ability to strike a daily balance of a commitment to one's clients and their vehicles, demonstrate respectful collaboration with colleagues, and show proactive responsibility in and for their communities.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Hagerty recruits at many colleges, including those with auto-related and insurance programs. They also use industry associations, employee referrals and social media to find candidates who demonstrate “H-Factor."Of course, classic automobiles are at the heart of what they do, so it helps to have a passion or at least some background in this area.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

For more info head to their careers website. http://www.hagerty.com/corporate/Careers

Hiring Outlook

19%Job Growth 65Average number of applicants per opening
2350Applicants in past year 64Openings in past year
10%New hires by employee referrals

Related Companies