What Employees Say
This is a physically safe place to work.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
People celebrate special events around here.
I can be myself around here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
What They Do
We asked Grote Industries to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Founded over one hundred years ago, Grote Industries is known for innovation, ethical practices, and a commitment to providing quality products and service. Grote Industries is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and marketers of vehicle lighting and safety systems.
About this Company
| Website: www.grote.com|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: MADISON, Indiana, 47250|| US Sites: 1|
| US Employees: 438|| Employees Worldwide: 1,244|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1901|
Perks and Programs
We asked Grote Industries to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Employee Recognition Program: We have what is called the Grote Chance/Chest Program where managers can recognize employees for going above and beyond. The employee is provided a chance card when recognized and a duplicate so one can be placed into boxes located around the facility for a quarterly drawing of up to six prizes of value over $200 each. In addition, up to ten submissions each month can be selected as extraordinary of which those employees receive a signed certificate from their supervisor and the Director of HR and provided an extra $50 in an upcoming paycheck.
- Grote Running/Walking Club: Our Wellness Committee sponsors a team which is provided free t-shirts every year for participation in local races.
- Grote Lamplighters Club: All salaried employees are allowed to participate in this club. It is a non-profit organization which raise funds throughout the calendar year for a different non-profit group designated by the past president of the club. The average annual giving from this club to the non-profits are $16,000 or more.
- Annual Wellness Health Fair: The Wellness Committee coordinates and conducts an annual wellness health fair for all employees to attend. Giveaways and helpful information is provided to employees as they navigate through the over 20 vendors who attend.
- Grote Family Care: Grote offers employees and their dependents on the health plan the opportunity to get care at an off-site clinic run by Physician Assistants and overseen by an MD. The consultation, lab work, x-rays, and some prescriptions are provided to the employee/dependent at no charge. In addition, employees can seek rehabilitation at an off-site rehab center of which the employee only pays $20 each visit.
- Community Involvement: Grote sponsors a local festival named Soup, Stew, Chili, and Brew. The sponsored area is the "Kidz Zone". At least 20 employees each year along with family members assist in helping out to monitor different stations where kids are allowed to play. In addition, the company provides a donation to the festival.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $40,687 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Production Associate|| $81,080 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Mechanical Engineer|
| 40% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||80% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Employees enrolled in PPO Plan)|
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Employees enrolled in PPO Plan)|| $3,500 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 21 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 60 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 12 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (50% use it)
- Telecommute option (1% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (We have an on-site convenience store setup in all main break rooms and the one cafeteria. We are in the process of having an onsite company sponsored Toastmasters club.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||30 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||3 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $200,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Self-Conducted Environmental impact audit|
| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- 1 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Grote Industries for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
It's great to see a candidate have eagerness to learn and develop, an upbeat and optimistic outlook on the role, and ready to take on challenges.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Our attention is captured when a candidate carries a great level of professionalism and is capable of presenting themselves in a marketable and unique way.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
As our organization continues to grow, we are looking to develop our engineering and technical departments. Aside from the specific roles, we are always recruiting candidates who are results-oriented and ready to take on the challenges of the industry.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Go to www.careers.grote.com
| 35 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 4% Job Growth|
| 4 Average applicants per opening|| 886 Total job applicants|
| 2% New hires by employee referrals|| 20% Openings filled by current employees|
| 7 Recent graduates hired|| 7% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|