What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I want to work here for a long time.
What They Do
We asked Granite Construction Inc to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
As one of the largest diversified infrastructure providers and construction materials producers, we specializes in both public and private sector transportation projects that include: roads, highways, tunnels, bridges, locks and dams, mass transit facilities and airports.
About this Company
| Website: www.graniteconstruction.com/|| Industry: Construction & Real Estate|
| US Headquarters: Watsonville, California, 95076|| US Sites: 115|
| Major Locations: Anchorage, Alaska, 99515; Reno, Nevada, 89431; Everett, Washington, 98201; Indio, California, 92203; Northbrook, Illinois, 60062; Tucson, Arizona, 85714; Sacramento, California, 95827; Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116; Tampa, Florida, 33617; Tarrytown, New York, 10591|| US Employees: 4,611|
| Corporate Structure: Public|| Stock Symbol: GVA|
| Founded: 1922|
Perks and Programs
We asked Granite Construction Inc to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Wellness Program: Employees engage in activities, education and competitions in order to earn points that turn into cash value and can be used to purchase activity trackers, Amazon gift cards and other “rewards” on the Vitality mall.
- Employee Mobile App: All salaried and hourly employees have access to the mobile app which includes up to date news and information, employee directory, crisis management plan, safety resources and a platform for employees to connect on shared interests.
- Profit Sharing Stock Bonus: When the Company achieves financial performance goals, eligible employees may receive a stock award equivalent to a percentage of their salary.
- Mile Markers: On an employee's first year and every fifth year thereafter, they receive a letter from the CEO, a personalized memento and plaque, the opportunity to select a gift from a catalog, and a monetary award based on their tenure. Employees are recognized in their local offices and during the quarterly all company meeting.
- Character Matters: Scholarship program for children or grandchildren of current employees who plan to continue their education at a college/university or through a vocational school programs. The Scholarship award can range from $500-$2000 each.
- Granite University & Leadership Training Suite: All employees have access to training for any need that may arise through our online Granite University. We also have a Leadership Training Program that equips the different levels of employees with the skills and tools needed for advancement and success in leadership. There are four different levels that comprised of three, two day sessions.
- Credit Union: All employees have access to join Gibbon's and Reed Employees' Federal Credit Union. Lower interest rates with no membership, loan or document fees.
- Auto Discount Program: We offer a special savings opportunity to our employees from Ford Motor Company. Customer recognition program offers the ability to purchase or lease eligible vehicles at Ford Motor Company's X-Plan price.
- Cell Phone and Wireless Service Discount Program: Employees may be eligible for exclusive discounts from Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T on monthly calling plans, phones, and accessories.
- Holiday Party: All locations host a Holiday party either in Dec or Jan for employees & significant other. Events include dinner, dancing, entertainment, awards, prizes, etc.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $42,071 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Equipment Operator|| $70,844 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Engineer|
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||100% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Salaried, Full Time)|
| 100% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Salaried, Full Time)|| $5,250 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (75% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (Fitness Center, Basketball and Tennis Courts)
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $534,784 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Environmental Management System Committee - Director, Environmental Leads environmental impact team|
| Third-Party Conducted Environmental impact audit|| 1 LEED certified building(s)|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Recycling program|
- SVP, Human Resources is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women
How to Get Hired
We asked Granite Construction Inc for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Great Attitudes - Strong Apptitude (academic background or technical expertise -
Achievement (demonstrated success in sports, work, or community)-
High moral and ethical compass (Our core values are at the heart of our success) -
Ability to work in teams
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Show flexibility in geographic work areas, demonstrate high technical competence, and demonstrate a ease of ability to communicate comfortably and confidently during an interview. Have a philosophy, plan and opinion about our industry and how work gets accomplished.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Engineering and Construction Management positions, Estimators; skilled craft, college graduate, mid-career and management
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our Careers Page at graniteconstruction.com/careers
| 6% Job Growth|| 40 Average applicants per opening|
| 19,172 Total job applicants|| 18% New hires by employee referrals|
| 17% Openings filled by current employees|| 14% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 23% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|