If you think working at Google is like the movie, The Internship, you’re not far off. The nap pods are real and free food does indeed abound. But for most employees, it's the technology and people that really stand out.



This review is based on 1081 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.92. It was published on Mar 3, 2015. 143445 Visitors

What You Should Know

If you think working at Google Inc. is like the movie The Internship, you’re not far off. The nap pods are real and free food does indeed abound. While Googlers do love their perks, it’s the innovative technology and the people they work with that stand out for them. Employees are proud to work on projects that change our world like Google Maps and Android. They also recognize the high-caliber colleagues they have, describing them as smart-but-not-boastful and caring. Google looks for smart, team-oriented leaders who can get things done and are full of Googleyness. Those who are uncomfortable with big challenges and innovation may not fit here.

Says one employee: "Working here can make you feel that you've made it into the technical equivalent of Major League Baseball or the NFL - you're at the top of your field."


Google is a global company that develops technology including web browsers, smartphones, smart contact lenses and social media apps to help keep people connected. 

Website: www.google.com US Headquarters: Mountain View, California
US Sites: More than 30 Major Locations: Mountain View, CA; New York, NY; San Francisco, CA; Cambridge; Kirkland
Stock Symbol: GOOGL US Employees: 28633
Worldwide revenues: $55519 million Employees worldwide: 52069
Founded: 1998 Industry: Media

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Google, 89 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 8 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Google employees develop advanced and innovative technology. The company has approximately 28,000 employees in the United States, where they operate over 30 locations.

A significant majority of employees (94 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and even more (95 percent) say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For most employees (84 percent), their work at Google is more than just a job: the chance to change the world through their technology provides special meaning.

At Google, an impressive 94 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Google, 79 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within a few percentage points of what one can typically expect even at the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $12,000
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 30 hours
  • Google launched Grow, an internal platform that helps employees find courses and jobs, get one-on-one advice and use other development resources at Google. It is a one-stop shop for Google employees to manage their own development within the company. 
Google engineers are usually of very high caliber and most of the time are trying to do the right thing, even if the right thing is not the easiest.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Google, 90 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 7 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Google has over 30 offices spread across the U.S., with its main headquarters in Mountain View, Calif. Most employees work in cube work spaces and have access to several unique amenities that Google provides. Nap pods are available to all employees who need some recuperation and there are even hammocks onsite. There are also cafes at all locations, where Google employees have access to free nutritious food. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • At Google, employees play on sports teams together, have happy hours and throw birthday parties, baby showers and engagement celebrations. Google employees also have Guitar Hero, Mortal Kombat and Dance Dance Revolution competitions. 

Caring and Support

  • In 2014, Google launched several programs to help support employees. Some programs include prepping for parenthood, child care and getting fancy with finance. 
  • The employee assistance program at Google is available to all employees who need extra support during difficult times. The program offers assistance in various areas, including legal help, credit scores and assessment, finding a vet for pets and help for those who are grieving. Google offers onsite counseling services as well as clinical counselors for free. 
People celebrate special events around here.
I have never worked any place like this. It feels like working at a cross between Harvard, Hogwarts and NASA. The atmosphere and culture is truly unique and unlike anything I've ever experienced elsewhere.



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Google, 89 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 8 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

Benefits (medical and retirement) as well as on-site facilities and healthy free food. 


90% Company-paid health coverage for employees 90% Company-paid health coverage for dependents


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Deferred profit-sharing plan


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
  • Personal concierge service
  • Subsidized massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Vehicle maintenance
  • Personal travel service
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Car wash
  • Hair salon
  • Banking
  • Subsidized public transportation


15 days Vacation days in the first year of employment and 13 company holidays  $5,000 Adoption benefit


  • Unpaid sabbaticals
  • Lactation rooms
  • Job sharing (1% use it)
  • Elder care resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
Amazing workspace, office environment and benefits. Great perks such as amazing cafeterias with excellent food, and small kitchens with snack food available at all hours. My work hours are very flexible and I can take time off almost whenever I need to.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments


  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Fitness center
  • Medicare facility
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Google, 91 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 7 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

At Google, their mission is to create technology to make life easier and better for everyone. Google technology includes the Google Chrome browser, YouTube, Google Maps, Android smartphones and smart contact lenses. The company is even developing a self-driving car. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
The caliber of technical people in this organization is higher than anywhere else I've ever seen. Working here can make you feel that you've made it into the technical equivalent of Major League Baseball or the NFL - you're at the top of your field. 

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 20 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $1.110 billion
  • In 2013, Google donated nearly $3 million to charities like Engineers without Borders, Doctors without Borders, Kiva Microfunds and Habitat for Humanity.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I like that we are involved with the community and how the community embraces us, from Anti-Gravity Games with local tech savvy high school students, to providing assistance to the MICAH house for families and individuals who are experiencing a housing crisis.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Google, 87 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 10 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Although 28,633 Google employees are spread out across more than 30 offices in the U.S., Google strives to keep each employee connected through open communication and by having access to the resources they need. Nine out of 10 employees find that management is approachable and easy to talk with and 88 percent report that management genuinely seeks and responds to suggestions and ideas. A majority (87 percent) of Google employees believe that management keeps them informed about important issues and changes and they can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer. More than eight out of 10 employees (82 percent) say that management makes its expectations clear. 

I've been in this company for several years and I'm still often truly amazed by its culture. Engineers are free to speak up against bad decisions and the senior management (and even CEO) are willing to take it seriously and discuss solutions.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Google, 83 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 12 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Google employees widely appreciate the friendliness, innovation and pride their leaders encourage. Employees paint a picture of a leadership team that is honest, good at running the business and approachable. An overwhelming majority of employees (95 percent) report that management is honest and ethical in its business practices and almost as many (94 percent) say managers are competent at running the business. A significant majority of employees (92 percent) believe management would lay people off only as a last resort. Most employees (88 percent) say that managers delivers on their promises and their actions match their words. Eighty-five percent also feel they are seen as more than just employees.

Google and the senior management team always strive to do the right thing for Googlers and for our users. You are also encouraged to take risks with your work, and if you fail, that's ok! You learn and keep growing. Managers have your best interests at heart. They care about your well-being and health. 

Great Perks and Programs

  • Food: Google takes pride in serving unlimited amounts of high quality food. Some of the cafes onsite offer fully plated meals and even list the nutritional information for calorie counters. Employees have input in what kind of snacks they get at work by voting for their favorite snacks and drinks. 
  • Nap Pods: All employees are more than welcome to have a quick snooze in one of the many nap pods on campus. Nap pods provide a secluded, relaxing environment for employees to take a quick power nap, reducing stress and improving cognition. 
  • Themed Events: Google hosts an array of themed events where employees let loose and have fun. Each year, Googleween takes place where employees come dressed in full costume, have pumpkin carving contests and enjoy lots of sweets. Other annual events include April Fools' day, St. Patrick's day and Oktoberfest.
  • Bonuses: Google rewards hard work through spot bonuses ranging from $250 to $5,000. Google makes these spot bonuses more personal by letting the employee choose what the award is - either cash, days off or an item such as gift cards, massage coupons or tickets to sporting events. The company also has a peer bonuses program, in which employees can nominate their fellow Googlers to receive a bonus of $175.
  • Recognition: Google partakes in TGIF and uses a recognition hub called gThanks to give thanks to employees who make a difference. At TGIF, Google employees come together to welcome that week's new employees and make announcements of company successes, recognizing individual and team work. Through the gThanks platform, employees are able to recognize their colleagues' outstanding achievements with kudos and peer bonuses. One department even started a "Wall of Happy" on which glowing thank-you notes and praise emails are displayed for all to see.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Google employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

Word Cloud

"I have never seen a company that is so responsive to feedback from employees. The annual survey is taken very seriously and the feedback is addressed quickly."

"While the perks and free meals are unique perks of Google, the people are what makes this place a great place to work. People are super smart, but not boastful and there is a sense of belonging and family within the team. "

"Everyone is incredibly kind and focused on making Google a great environment. People are continually making an effort to make this a collaborative workplace both by sharing ideas and best practices for within their line of work and also by creating groups for activities that are non-work related inside and outside the office."

"Everyone knows about the perks, which are great: free food, massages, laundry facilities, etc. Additionally though and probably more important, is the opportunity to work on innovative and interesting projects across the entire organization, not just limited to a small 'new initiatives' team."

"Google has a genuine interest in developing their employees' careers, especially when it comes to internal mobility. There are tons of opportunities everywhere and Google really invests in their employees to retain their top talent."

"Being at a company that's willing to allocate resources to very forward-thinking ideas is rewarding. Google truly cares so much about the user, privacy and well-made products."

"People you work with are exceptional ones. Great peers that drive your curiosity and creativity even further."

"Openness within the company is almost unmatched. Access to almost any information is given freely from the very first day."

"There are so many perks and benefits, it's hard to take advantage of all of them. I remember when I first started working here, I'd tell friends that work took us whitewater rafting or out for beer and they didn't believe me. Sometimes I don't believe it."

"Google is a company that tackles super large problems that have never been solved before. Coming into work every day is exciting, because we get to be part of something greater than ourselves."

"The work environment, benefits and ability to work as I see fit make this the best working conditions to date."

"The competence and integrity of the people I work with here is extraordinary. This is a result of the rigorous, uncompromising hiring process, unusually generous employee benefits and general "get the job done" attitude of the leaders and company ethic as a whole."

How to Get Hired

We asked Google for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

We’re looking for smart, team-oriented people who can get things done. When you interview at Google, you’ll likely interview with four or five Googlers who will be looking for four things: leadership, role-related knowledge, how you think and Googleyness. Read more about these at www.google.com/about/careers/lifeatgoogle/hiringprocess/.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

Our process is pretty basic; the path to getting hired usually involves a first conversation with a recruiter, a phone interview and onsite interviews at one of our offices. But there are a few things we’ve baked in along the way that make getting hired at Google a little different. We believe that if you hire great people and involve them intensively in the hiring process, you’ll get more great people. Over the past couple of years, we’ve spent a lot of time making our hiring process as efficient as possible — reducing time-to-hire and increasing our communications to candidates. While involving Googlers in our process does take longer, we believe it’s worth it. Our early Googlers identified these principles more than 10 years ago, and it’s what allows us to hold true to who we are as we grow.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

We look for people who are great at lots of things, love big challenges and welcome big changes. We can’t have too many specialists in just one particular area. We’re looking for people who are good for Google — and not just for right now, but for the long term.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Visit google.com/careers and start exploring! 

Follow Google Inc.

Related Companies