What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People celebrate special events around here.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
What They Do
We asked Giroux Glass, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a specialty glazing and architectural metal subcontractor, handling the most complex and challenging projects ranging from commercial, service, T.I., and high-end residential. We service CA, NV, AZ, and NM.
About this Company
| Website: https://girouxglass.com/|| Industry: Construction & Real Estate|
| US Headquarters: Los Angeles, California, 90015|| US Sites: 4|
| Major Locations: Las Vegas, Nevada, 89113; Fresno, California, 93727; San Bernardino, California, 92408|| US Employees: 71|
| US Revenues: $43.7 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $43.7 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1946|
Perks and Programs
We asked Giroux Glass, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Steering Committee: Our Steering Committee (made up of strictly volunteer members) exists as a liaison between employees and executives. They meet to facilitate our Idea Drive/Rapid Improvement Plan programs through which employees are encouraged to submit ideas that can better our company in any way. They then work together to bring the ideas to life within the company, and employees who submit ideas are entered in a prize raffle. Their employee of the month program recognizes a monthly Core Value Superstar, someone who goes above and beyond in demonstrating some or all of the company's core values, which include Growth, Integrity, Respect, Ownership, Unity, and eXcellence.
- ESOP Culture Committee: The mission of the Culture Committee is to continually maintain and promote a culture of high-performing ownership thinking, deeply rooted in an understanding of our ESOP. A team of dedicated volunteers from all departments and locations, meet monthly to plan events (such as our company picnics, holiday parties, and October ESOP month events). They help to provide an educational and fun environment in alignment with Giroux’s core values; one that embraces diversity, change, and open communication. They also support and promote physical as well as mental well-being, while building a workplace culture that fosters a fun environment, creativity, and the importance of progress.
- 401k Plan: Our 401k plan matches 25% of employee contributions! This is planned to continue indefinitely beyond our ESOP transition.
- Annual PBT Incentive: Our annual profit before tax goals are set by our financial and management teams, shared with all employees, and then a strategy to reach it is devised. If the company meets or exceeds the set goal, each employee receives an end-of-the-year bonus. The amounts distributed to each employee are calculated based on the amount exceeded, tenure, and pay scale.
- Safety Bingo: For well over 10 years, our weekly Safety Bingo game has made being safe, fun! The intent with Bingo is to raise safety awareness. Our Bingo pool goes up $2 per day without injury, and resets to $75 in the event of an injury. The winner earns an additional prize for each year worked up to 10 years or $200. Jackpots have reached amounts beyond $1,000! We're proud to say that our EMR (Experience Modification Rate), the industry's common way to measure safety, exceeds the industry average and especially in the glass and glazing sector.
- Scoreboard Meetings: Every month, our employees gather to learn about the financial status of the company and each of its departments. The objective each month, is to set goals that move us closer to reaching our PBT benchmark for the year, allowing us to see areas where we're on target and where we need to improve. These meetings are an example of the importance of transparency at Giroux and making sure each employee understands our financial statements. Our controller's door is always open for anyone with questions or concerns. All financial details, other than payroll, are shared.
- Company Events/Potlucks: Our potlucks and events are some of the most unifying, fun programs that we offer. Potlucks are held most holidays at all locations. The company sponsors main dishes and for special celebrations, beer, wine and champagne. We play games, host contests, share recipes, and build camaraderie. Our partners have also planned and hosted creative events geared around team-building, such as a World Cup soccer bracket where teams treat each other to a company-sponsored lunch, and like our Giroux Office Olympics Games, held in the hallways of our offices. Additionally, our employees' Birthdays are celebrated each month with cake, ice cream, sundaes, and whatever else our creative Culture Committee decides to put together. Each employee is gifted balloons and a logo'd mug filled with goodies!
- Weekly Internal Newsletter: Each week, we round-up important notices, fun updates, and other company information for our internal newsletter, the Giroux Review. We use it to communicate the safety Bingo as well, and have been doing so since the '90's.
- Smart Car Loan Program: In an effort toward greater sustainability, we operate a fleet of Smart Cars, open for any employee to use. They're typically utilized for travel to and from a job-site, to lunch, meetings, and conferences.
- Employee Assistance Program: Our EAP provides up to 3 free face-to-face counseling sessions per household, per year with licensed therapists. The EAP can be used for confidential assistance with problems involving: marriage and family, substance abuse, stress, depression, job-related issues, legal and financial, grief, and more. The plan also includes child and elder care referrals, college, adoption services, prenatal services, prescription drug and gym discounts, and Free Will, End of Life, and Retirement Kits.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 25% Average 401(k)/403b company contribution per employee||100% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for All employees)|
| 50% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for All employees)|| 100% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 32 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $2,145 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 22 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 10 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
| 22 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 10 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (75% use it)
- Telecommute option (4% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (Team-building gatherings, food and coffee (e.g. fruit Mondays), electric car charging, Smart cars available to all partners, basketball hoop, ping pong table, showers available in restroom areas.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|90 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||6 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||90 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|6 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*||10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|90 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*||6 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $15,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Yes Sustainable commuting program|
| Yes Renewable energy program|| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked Giroux Glass, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Prospective employees who seek to grow, seek innovation, prosper in a collaborative environment, and are highly self-driven are great fits for Giroux Glass. Our commitment to each other is high and new prospects will be joining our family as an equal partner. We look for highly-motivated people -- we want them to know that we consider it crucial when we turn prospective employees into owners; and so, we expect them to demonstrate their passion and strong desire to work with us.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees get our attention when they research to learn about our company prior to applying, and follow the application steps explained on our website. We are also impressed when they are passionate about their reasons for working with us. They also gain positive attention when all members of a panel luncheon (part of our hiring process) unanimously agree that they feel the candidate would be a good fit for our team.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are focused on hiring well-qualified, exprienced project managers and CAD technicians, though we are always seeking the right fit and not necessarily to fill a particular position. If we find people with good character and integrity, who are self-driven and take ownership of their work and with tremendous pride, we will create a position for them!
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit the career-related section of our website (girouxglass.com/careers) and reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
| 6 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 1% Job Growth|
| 20 Average applicants per opening|| 200 Total job applicants|
| 60% New hires by employee referrals|| 2% Openings filled by current employees|
| 2 Recent graduates hired|| 4% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|