What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
Management is competent at running the business.
What They Do
We asked Ghost Story Games to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Our mission is simple: to create immersive, story-driven videogames for people who love games that ask something of them.
About this Company
| Website: www.ghoststorygames.com|| Industry: Media|
| US Headquarters: Westwood, Massachusetts, 02090|| US Sites: 1|
| US Employees: 26|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Founded: 2014|
Perks and Programs
We asked Ghost Story Games to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- The People: The best thing about our team….is the team! We are proud to be home to some of the most talented, smartest, nicest and hard-working colleagues. We make mistakes sometimes, but we help each other by finding mistakes early and depend on each other to fix them quickly.
- Outreach: In addition to planned events and initiatives with our outreach partners, we allow our individual team members to spend up to 16 hours and up to $1,500 on a charitable initiative that is important to them.
- The Space: We love our studio space and all the comfortable perks that come with it, such as a fully stocked kitchen (drinks, fruit, snacks, breakfast food), plenty of shops, restaurants and (urgent care) services within walking distance, a game room, a quiet room, outdoor deck, free parking, public transport connections including the Amtrak train into Boston + NY and maybe, just maybe we have a whiskey bar.
- Benefits: Our parent company benefits package includes healthcare, dental, vision, 401K, legal insurance, disability and life insurance, fitness reimbursement, well-being initiatives, significant discounts on services such as Verizon Wireless, products from Dell, Razer, Microsoft Office and more. We also have free onsite car maintenance (can be switched for an Uber credit), emergency childcare support and offer free passes to PAX East, because….Boston!
- Free Merchandise: Every new employee is welcomed with an onboarding swag package to make sure they blend right in…additionally each of our team members can expect to receive a new merchandise item every time one goes live in our fan store. For items of other Take Two studios, there is a discounted employee store where you can find the latest games and swag from our sister studios.
- Open Communication: Our team members are welcome to join any meeting. We have a flat structure enabled by our open floorplan. Do you have a question or a concern? Just walk up to anyone and ask! Team based decision making is important to us, regardless of your position – every opinion counts and is considered.
- Flexible Hours: We understand that sometimes people need to juggle work and family life, so we have flexible work hours and a support structure that allows people to work from home if needed. Every Friday is a default WFH day for us, so no meetings planned that day! We also close the studio on 12 Holidays in 2017 and offer up to 22 days of additional PTO.
- Fun: We tend to check out new games together in the game room and occasionally challenge each other over lunch or play board games together during game night. We enjoy spending time together at holiday parties, eating our lunch together or sharing studio progress during our team meetings.
- On-site support: Our world-class IT and Operations teams make sure that you get what you need to do what you do best. They keep us working, fed, hydrated and happy. Full team catered lunches for new employee welcomes or significant team meetings? Receiving your online shopping orders? Getting you an aspirin when needed? They have your back!
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||76% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for 100)|
| 76% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for 100)|| 76% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 32 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 12 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 17 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
| 12 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (100% use it)
- Telecommute option (100% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (fully stocked kitchen and lunch area, free snacks and drinks, gaming room, game library, quiet room, outdoor deck, parcel delivery, showers, lunch cafe, free parking, free on-site car maintenance, shops, restaurants and services such as banks, hair salon and urgent care within walking distance, commuter rail and Amtrak station within walking distance. USPS, Fedex and UPS mail boxes, emergency health cabinet, emergency weather kit including umbrellas and ice scrapers.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|80 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*||14 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*||10 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- On-site or near-site backup childcare center
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 16 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $24,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| $1,500 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Ghost Story Games for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
*User Facing* We understand that the gamer has no predisposition to like our work; being player facing applies to how we interact with our clients both internally and externally. *We Protect Each Other* We expect our teammates to help us elevate our work. We make mistakes, and we depend on every one of our colleagues to share their feedback and make sure the work we release to the outside world meets their standards first. *Honest and Fearless* We believe that a problem un-expressed is a problem unsolved and that valuable feedback can come from anybody, it doesn’t obey hierarchy. Feedback is how we identify mistakes. *Problem Solver* Curiosity is part of our job. We actively seek out information, and answers to problems. If we still do not have what we need, we actively pursue the people with the ability to help.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We are a small team by design, but we do occasionally look for additional support. The best way to stay informed is to keep an eye on our website Careers page.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Check out our website to learn more about our studio and keep an eye on our Careers page!