What Employees Say
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
Management is competent at running the business.
Management is approachable, easy to talk with.
Management makes its expectations clear.
Management has a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there.
What They Do
We asked Foot Locker, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a leading global retailer of athletically inspired shoes and apparel. We employ over 45,000 associates and operate 3,400 athletic retail stores in 23 countries under the brand names Foot Locker, Champs Sports, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction, SIX:02, Lady Foot Locker, Eastbay, Runners Point, and Sidestep.
About this Company
| Website: footlocker-inc.com|| Industry: Retail|
| US Headquarters: New York, New York|| US Sites: 2424|
| Major Locations: Bradenton, Florida; Wausau, Wisconsin; Camp Hill, Pennsylvania; Junction City, Kansas; Oshkosh, Wisconsin|| US Employees: 33,961|
| Employees Worldwide: 45,646|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: FL|| Founded: 1879|
Perks and Programs
We asked Foot Locker, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Be A Pro: Foot Locker takes pride in helping our associates be “pros," particularly with our approach to technology. Our Talent Science program identifies ideal candidates right from the starting line through a sophisticated and consistent questionnaire. We know it works - 99% of store manager roles are filled by associates that joined us as a result. Technology helps associates be “pros” from shift scheduling to career development. Corporate and facility teams utilize “My L&D," a suite of eLearning courses related to development and leadership. Store associates benefit from systems that ensure shifts are staffed appropriately while providing flexibility in hours. Store associates utilize “vLogs," training videos featuring customer/associate interactions. On the sales floor, hand-held devices help associates be pros, tapping into technology to locate product for customers.
- Break Records: Foot Locker has experienced 27 consecutive quarters of significant sales and profit growth and credits its associates for its success. Celebrating our associates for record-breaking achievements is of utmost importance to our culture. Our new Career Milestone program recognizes associates for every 5 years of service. 2016 has brought celebrations of 25, 45 and even 60 years of service! The Super Sneaker Award is an exciting way for managers to recognize corporate and field associates worldwide with a special pin - delivered “on the spot” - for exemplifying our core values. Quality Service Awards recognize fellow associates with a “Q” pin, certificate and a $10 Foot Locker gift card and can be given in any direction, even peer to peer.
- Build Capability: At Foot Locker, we build capability beginning with our onboarding process and throughout an associate’s time on the team. We treat our associates as internal customers so it’s critical that we seamlessly on-board each of them. Our interactive onboarding program was created by our teams, for our teams. Associates are provided a “Game Starter Playbook” which guides their learning experience and our associates become product and fit experts. Building capability continues through our Leadership Academy, the umbrella for leadership development. This body of work is meant to advance the skills and capabilities of our leaders based on their aspirations. In the last year we received over 1.8 million applications and onboarded almost 50,000 new associates, bringing those candidates opportunity to build capability at Foot Locker.
- Bring Others Along: Foot Locker actively connects with associates during leadership meetings and division celebrations. Annual leadership meetings including “Team Weeks," introduce priorities for the year, host strategy sessions and present initiatives from vendor partners. Regional meetings for our 3,000+ store managers give opportunities to develop selling skills and build business acumen. Beyond these events, which include recognition for outstanding performance, associates compete for six weeks in best overall performance to earn a spot on the “Big Trip." Corporate executives who have demonstrated performance in their departments also attend. Winners and a guest receive VIP treatment at an exotic all-inclusive resort. Publications of our internal magazine, Locker Room, keep our teams updated while access to myFootLocker411.com, allows unlimited self-service for personal schedule flex while keeping our floors staffed.
- Play To Win: At Foot Locker, we motivate our associates to play to win and grow as team players. Winning for us is defined as providing our customers with elevated in-store and online experiences. To enable this customer-centric mindset, we leverage our Leadership Model. Foot Locker’s Leadership Model embraces our core values and defines essential leadership behaviors to inspire associates to reach their potential. These behaviors are taught in the course entitled, "You Lead," attended by associates at every level in their first 90 days. Our Leadership Model is built on the premise that all associates can lead - from the stock room to the board room. Our internal succession is proof with over half of our executive team coming from internal promotions.
- Focus On The Future: A key philosophy at Foot Locker, Inc. is the responsibility to focus on the future within our company and our community. We are committed to building a future with our associates top of mind. Our global engagement survey seeks associate feedback on Company successes and opportunities. Participation is above 90% and leaders and associates have initiated over 400 engagement plans. Future focus is also upheld by our Associate Scholarship Program, awarding $5,000 scholarships to associates demonstrating passion at work, in the classroom and in the community. A recent recipient was selected for her inspiring volunteer work while studying for her MBA and working full-time. Within our community, our foundation supports organizations such as Fred Jordan Missions, UNCF, Boys & Girls Clubs and Two Ten.
- Love The Game: Foot Locker’s love of the game brings a unique feel for both associates and customers. Commitment to an elevated in-store experience and exclusive releases through vendor partnerships allows customers access to the best product, sold by the best associates, often only found at Foot Locker, Inc. Special appearances and store openings give associates and customers a front row seat to athletes and celebrities. Additional associate privileges include entry to events like the NYC Marathon and the All-Star Game. Foot Locker’s new NYC headquarters is also reflective of our culture, surrounding associates with depictions of our history and brands. A beacon of collaboration, the office allows dynamic access to team workspaces as well as virtual conferencing to unite the love of the game across the globe.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 25% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 4% of an employee's salary||66% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 60% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Pre-tax savings account
- Health insurance for retirees
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
How to Get Hired
We asked Foot Locker, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Prospective associates would need to exhibit our core values: Integrity, Leadership, Excellence, Service, Team Work, Innovation, Community.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Although position-specific capabilities will vary, candidates should also be willing, able and excited to possess personal, people and business passion as they participate in all areas of our Leadership Model: Be A Pro, Break Records, Build Capability, Bring Others Along, Play To Win, Focus On The Future, and of course, Love The Game!
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
In the coming year, Foot Locker, Inc. is geared toward hiring candidates that possess a stretch ability in tasks and cross functional assignments. We are looking for individuals with passion for what they do each and every day, as well as a love of the game and for sneakers and sneaker culture.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates can educate themselves and research our company's rich culture at sneakerjobs.com to learn if Foot Locker, Inc. is their next great place to work!
| 50,000 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 3% Job Growth|
| 149 Average applicants per opening|| 1,800,000 Applications received|
| 50,000 Positions filled in past year|| 15% New hires by employee referrals|
| 2,710 New positions created|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|
| 40 New graduates hired|| 17% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 49% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|