What Employees Say
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Management is competent at running the business.
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
What They Do
We asked First American Financial Corporation to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We offer title insurance, settlement services, property data and analytics, title data and technology, property and casualty insurance products, home warranty services and other products and services to real estate professionals, title agents and attorneys, mortgage lenders, homebuilders and consumers.
About this Company
| Website: www.firstam.com|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: Santa Ana, California, 92707|| US Sites: 711|
| Major Locations: Santa Ana, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Santa Rosa, California; New York, New York; Dallas, Texas|| US Employees: 12,373|
| US Revenues: $5,272 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $5,575.9 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 19,138|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: FAF|| Founded: 1889|
Perks and Programs
We asked First American Financial Corporation to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- People First Awards: First American recently updated an existing rewards program to give more visible recognition to employees that showcase our values. The program was renamed to the People First Awards and rewarded those selected with RSU (restricted stock units). Honorees also receive a plaque and a thank you note from our CEO as well as a celebration with his or her team, planned by their manager. The news is then highly publicized on our company intranet with a write-up on the individual and how they display the company values in their day-to-day work.
- FA Recognition: First American developed a robust recognition program based upon suggestions received through employee engagement surveys and focus groups. The FA Recognition program allows managers and peers to recognize an employee's hard work and dedication whenever the occasion presents itself. Managers electronically reward employees with recognition certificates and points that convert into redeemable rewards (1 point = $1). A gallery featuring thousands of merchandise items, music downloads, movie tickets and gift cards are available for redemption. Employees can also send coworkers recognition certificates for a job well done.
- Settlement Services Reimbursement: First American reimburses employees for their title policy and escrow fees when buying, selling or refining their principal residence. This very popular benefit ranges from $200 to $7,000 depending on the value of the property, and there is no limit on how often it can be used.
- Women in Leadership: Nearly 70% or First American employees are women, so First American structured a program to specifically support and advance the career path of women- Women In Leadership (WIL). This year-round immersive leadership learning experience fosters development of high-potential women across the organization by allowing participants to solve enterprise-wide challenges and to take advantage of opportunities across business units. In the first two years of the program, participants submitted business initiatives to the executive management team that moved the needle. 24% of the women were promoted. The results speak volumes.
- FA Wellbeing: First American offers a comprehensive wellbeing program that offers a variety of services and support to help employees get and stay healthy physically, mentally, and financially. FA Wellbeing helps employees improve in the areas they care about with interactive technology that’s fun and easy to use. Employees earn points for taking steps to improve their overall wellbeing, such as health coaching, biometric screenings, and more. When employees participate, they can earn up to $450 in credits to be redeemed through FA Recognition. How much employees earn depends on how many activities they complete in their quest for wellbeing.
- Employee Appreciation Week: Our CEO established Employee Appreciation Week to demonstrate how much the company values its employees. Each employee receives a gift, and throughout the week, offices across the country celebrate in their own unique fashion, posting photos of fun festivities. As part of the celebration, the company sponsored a Fight Song Contest. Employees were encouraged to submit an original song or lyrics to a popular parody describing First American's culture. The contest was a phenomenal success and serves as another example of the fun and camaraderie employees enjoy at First American.
- Volunteer of the Month: In support of the company's stance on community service, employees are encouraged to log their volunteer hours in FALive. Employees specify the type of volunteer work they completed, which helps us gauge what interests our employees. Each month, one employee is randomly selected and the company gives them a $1,000 charitable donation giving card to give to their charity of their choice. Managers deliver the surprise news to the employee and commemorate the occasion with a card, flowers or lunch. In addition, their volunteer story is posted on the company intranet, FALive, to publicly recognize and thank them for their community service.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program: The Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) allows employees to purchase shares of First American stock at a minimum 15% discount. The 15% discount is applied to the closing stock price at the beginning or end of the purchasing period, whichever price is lower. Employees benefit from both increases in the stock price and the substantial dividends the company provides.
- FA Perks: Available through FA Benefits is a benefit called FA Perks, an employee discount portal offering cash back and purchasing options form local and national vendors. This benefit complements the Discownts program, and let's employees:
-Shop thousands of vendors to get great deals from more than 200,000 local and national vendors including apparel, beauty, education, electronics, entertainment, food, sports, and more.
-Get quotes and book services using fully integrated quoting and booking tools for things like travel, events, theme parks, movie tickets, and vehicle purchases.
-Access First American special offers and discounts through First American Property & Casualty, Home Warranty discounts ($75 discount on home warranty contracts for employee-owned home), Knowledge Universe, GlobalFit, and Discownts.
- Adoption Assistance: This benefit provides employees with financial reimbursement when adopting a child under the age of 18. Eligible adoption-related expenses are reimbursed up to a maximum of $6,000 per adopted child with a lifetime maximum of $10,000 per employee or family. First American reimburses application fees, agency and placement fees, legal fees and court costs, as well as transportation, meals and lodging.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $50,254 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Escrow Assistant|| $162,319 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Sales Representative|
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 4% of salary||80% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 80% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $5,250 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 25 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 9 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 9 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 9 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|49 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||18 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$10,000 Adoption benefit||90 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $1,704,421 Philanthropic donations in last year|| VP, Director Corporate Real Estate Leads environmental impact team|
| Third-Party Conducted Environmental impact audit|| Yes Sustainable commuting program|
| Yes Renewable energy program|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Mark Rutherford, SVP Head of Human Resources is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women
- 1 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked First American Financial Corporation for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We are drawn to qualified candidates who are professional and trustworthy, focused on delivering exceptional customer service and who exhibit leadership potential. We also look for candidates with a solid work history, have a genuine interest in the industry, and those who exhibit emotional intelligence. Chairman of the Board Parker Kennedy says, “First American has always been about people. My father Don Kennedy had a simple hiring philosophy during his time as CEO—if he liked someone enough to invite him or her home to dinner, that person was hired. His vision was instrumental in taking the company from a local to a national and, eventually, a global organization.”
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees can differentiate themselves by displaying excellence in their areas of expertise as well as showing evidence of having utilized that all important customercentric approach in previous roles. Our business success is due to the relationships we have made with clients, so candidates must prove their interpersonal skills. It is also key for candidates to follow up when they say they will. We look for people who exhibit our values of integrity and service.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Title and Escrow professionals at all levels, candidates with IT expertise, Data and Analytics professionals, Sales professionals, and Underwriting professionals.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Candidates can visit our website at www.firstam.com/careers to get started. They can also view our Great Place to Work review to get a better sense of our culture: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/firstamerican
| 2,600 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 6% Job Growth|
| 16 Average applicants per opening|| 55,014 Total job applicants|
| 14% New hires by employee referrals|| 10% Openings filled by current employees|
| 11% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 8% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|