What Employees Say
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I can be myself around here.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
What They Do
We asked First American Financial Corporation to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We offer title insurance, settlement services, property data and analytics, title data and technology, property and casualty insurance products, home warranty services and other products and services to real estate professionals, title agents and attorneys, mortgage lenders, homebuilders and consumers.
About this Company
| Website: www.firstam.com|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: Santa Ana, California|| US Sites: 720|
| Major Locations: Santa Ana, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Santa Rosa, California; New York, New York; Dallas, Texas|| US Employees: 11,659|
| US Revenues: $4,874.0 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $5,200 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 18,058|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: FAF|| Founded: 1889|
Perks and Programs
We asked First American Financial Corporation to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- FA Recognition: First American developed a robust recognition program based upon suggestions received through employee engagement surveys and focus groups. The FA Recognition program allows managers and peers to recognize an employee’s hard work and dedication whenever the occasion presents itself. Managers electronically reward employees with recognition certificates and points that convert into redeemable rewards (1 point = $1). A gallery featuring thousands of merchandise items, music downloads, movie tickets and gift cards are available for redemption. Employees can also send coworkers recognition certificates for a job well done.
- Settlement Services Reimbursement: First American reimburses employees for their title policy and escrow fees when buying, selling or refinancing their principal residence. This very popular benefit ranges from $200 to $7,000 depending on the value of the property, and there is no limit on how often it can be used.
- Women in Leadership: Nearly 70% of First American employees are women, so First American structured a program to specifically support and advance the career path of women–Women In Leadership (WIL). This year-round immersive leadership learning experience fosters development of high-potential women across the organization by allowing participants to solve enterprise-wide challenges and to take advantage of opportunities across business units. In the first two years of the program, participants submitted business initiatives to the executive management team that moved the needle. 24% of the women were promoted. The results speak volumes.
- Wellness Programs: First American has a comprehensive wellness program that provides a high-level care strategy and multi-level development programs. Employees can manage and improve their health through the use of Healthy Steps, an abundance of free health support programs that delivers access to diet plans and personal health coaching sessions. If various activities are completed, they can earn rewards points worth up to $400 annually. Fitness challenges, benefits and wellness fairs, biometric screenings, gym reimbursements (up to $300 a year), TeleDoc, health insurance, generous discount programs, and on-site amenities round out a package of benefits that supports the well-being of all employees.
- Employee Appreciation Week: Our CEO established Employee Appreciation Week to demonstrate how much the company values its employees. Each employee receives a gift, and throughout the week, offices across the country celebrate in their own unique fashion, posting photos of fun festivities. As part of the celebration, the company sponsored a Fight Song Contest. Employees were encouraged to submit an original song or lyrics to a popular parody describing First American’s culture. The contest was a phenomenal success and serves as another example of the fun and camaraderie employees enjoy at First American.
- Volunteer of the Month: In support of the company’s stance on community service, employees are encouraged to log their volunteer hours in FALive. Employees specify the type of volunteer work they completed, which helps us gauge what interests our employees. Each month, one employee is randomly selected and the company makes a $1,000 donation in their name to their charity of their choice. Managers deliver the surprise news to the employee and commemorate the occasion with card, flowers or lunch. In addition, their volunteer story is posted on the company intranet, FALive, to publicly recognize and thank them for their community service.
- FA Perks: Available through FA Benefits is a whole new benefit called FA Perks, an employee discount portal offering cash back and purchasing options from local and national vendors. This new benefit complements the Discownts program, and lets employees:
• Shop thousands of vendors to get great deals from more than 200,000 local and national vendors including apparel, beauty, education, electronics, entertainment, food, sports, and more.
• Get quotes and book services using fully integrated quoting and booking tools for things like travel, events, theme parks, movie tickets, and vehicle purchases.
• Access First American special offers and discounts through First American Property & Casualty, Home Warranty discounts ($75 discount on home warranty contracts for employee-owned home), Knowledge Universe, GlobalFit, and Discownts.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program: The Employee Stock Purchase program allows employees to purchase shares of First American stock at 15% off the closing stock price at the beginning or end of the purchase period, whichever price is lower. Employees can then benefit from both increases in the stock price and the substantial dividends the company provides.
- Adoption Assistance: This benefit provides employees with financial reimbursement when adopting a child under the age of 18. Eligible adoption-related expenses are reimbursed up to a maximum of $6,000 per adopted child with a lifetime maximum of $10,000 per employee or family. First American reimburses application fees, agency and placement fees, legal fees and court costs, as well as transportation, meals and lodging.
- Pet Insurance: First American recognizes that pets are family too and provides pet insurance that can save hundreds, even thousands of dollars, in pet medical bills with Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI). A VPI policy covers a vast array of medical problems and conditions related to accidental injuries, poisonings, and illnesses (including cancer), as well as office visits, prescriptions and tests.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $85,277 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Escrow Officer|| $136,820 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Sales Representative|
|80% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Pre-tax savings account
- Restricted stock units to employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
- Massage therapy
- Car wash
- Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
- Discount ticket sales
- Dry cleaning
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 25 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 9 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Breast cancer screening
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Skin cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| $1,306,571 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- 'Mark Rutherford, SVP Head of Human Resources' is accountable to formal diversity goals for employee recruitment and retention
- Formal programs support professional development for: Women
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked First American Financial Corporation for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We are drawn to qualified candidates who are professional and trustworthy, focused on delivering exceptional customer service and who exhibit leadership potential. We also look for candidates with a solid work history, have a genuine interest in the industry, and those who exhibit emotional intelligence. Chairman of the Board Parker Kennedy says, “First American has always been about people. My father Don Kennedy had a simple hiring philosophy during his time as CEO—if he liked someone enough to invite him or her home to dinner, that person was hired. His vision was instrumental in taking the company from a local to a national and, eventually, a global organization.”
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees can differentiate themselves by displaying excellence in their areas of expertise as well as showing evidence of having utilized that all-important customer-centric approach in previous roles. Our business success is due to the relationships we have made with clients, so candidates must prove their interpersonal skills. It is also key for candidates to follow-up when they say they will. We look for people who exhibit our values of integrity and service.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Title and Escrow professionals at all levels, candidates with IT expertise, Data and Analytics professionals, Sales professionals, and Underwriting professionals.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Candidates can visit our website at www.firstam.com/careers to get started.
| 2,250 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 1% Job Growth|
| 20 Average applicants per opening|| 60,978 Applications received|
| 2,633 Positions filled in past year|| 13% New hires by employee referrals|
| 1,496 New positions created|| 406 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 12% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|