Error

What does it take for employees to feel rewarded, proud and involved in their community? Ask FCCI Insurance Group, which seems to have found the answer in regular bonsues, professional development and paid volunteer time. 

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 574 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 1.82. It was published on Sep 17, 2014. 3100 Visitors

What You Should Know

What does it take for employees to feel rewarded, empowered, proud and involved in their community? Ask FCCI Insurance Group, which seems to have found the answer. Employees here get annual performance-based bonuses and plenty of opportunity - and reimbursement - for professional development, and everyone gets a paid half-day to volunteer. They also praise FCCI for being a caring place, an attribute imparted by the CEO, who takes time to meet every new employee. Prospects in search of flashier perks or bells and whistles may not find them here, but there’s plenty more on offer. “The working environment is truly one to be proud of,” one employee says. “You can feel the heartfelt warmth on your first day and quickly come to know that this is an organization that does what it says it will do."

WHAT THEY DO

FCCI provides commercial property and casualty insurance for business owners, ranging from agribusiness, automotive and general liability to inland marine, property and commercial and contract surety.

Website: www.fcci-group.com US Headquarters: Sarasota, Florida
US Sites: 7 Major Locations: Sarasota, FL; Lake Mary, FL; Tallahassee, FL; Indianapolis, IN; Duluth, GA; Ridgeland, MS; Richardson, TX
US Employees: 716 US revenues: $670 million
Worldwide revenues: $670 million Founded: 1959
Industry: Financial Services & Insurance

FCCI Insurance Group has been awarded:

Best Workplaces for Millennials 2015 (ranked 23)


Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At FCCI, 89 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 8 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

FCCI employees offer insurance products to insurance agents and business owners. The company has approximately 716 employees in the United States, where they operate seven locations.

A large majority of employees (93 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and 91 percent also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the overwhelming majority of employees (92 percent), their work at FCCI is more than just a job: the chance to create partnerships that allow businesses to grow and succeed provides special meaning.

At FCCI, 94 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at FCCI, 81 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 4 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $5,250
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 15 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 70 hours
  • The company offers a variety of in-house business classes, including leadership development courses and executive coaching to prepare employees for management roles. 
Though challenging, I like the freedom to manage my territory. I value the immediate team I work with and I think we all view our jobs with the same regard. 

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At FCCI, 91 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 7 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

FCCI is headquartered in Sarasota, Florida, where it was originally founded, and has additional offices in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Indiana and Texas. The headquarters office features amenities such as an onsite fitness center, cafe, dry cleaning and a car wash service. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • During the entire month of October, FCCI focuses on giving back to the United Way with fundraising events such as lunch served to employees by company officers, a fall festival and an on-stage officer skit. Throughout the year, the company hosts employees at special events such as a July 4 cook-out, free turkeys at Thanksgiving and a holiday party for employees and their guests. 

Caring and Support

  • FCCI offers support during times of need and encourages employees to take the necessary time off. 
People celebrate special events around here.
96%
 
FCCI has the uncanny ability to hire folks with the same characteristics, such as compassion, warmth, friendliness and honesty. It creates a unique environment that feels like family despite having more than 450 people in the home office. You want to come here each day. You look forward to doing a good job. You look forward to working hard and seeing the results. It is an honor to be part of this organization. 

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At FCCI, 92 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 6 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

FCCI treats their employees with great respect and provides each of us with a great benefits package. We have 11 paid holidays plus two floating holidays a year plus our PTO. This company also offers 'March Madness' which is our bonus and additional profit through sharing, which goes into our 401K. 

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

$47,118
Average salary and additional cash compensation for Underwriting Technician
$79,100
Average salary and additional cash compensation for Commercial Lines Underwriter
50%
401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 8% of an employee's contribution
80%
Company-paid health coverage for employees
80%
Company-paid health coverage for dependents
30 hours
Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Car wash
  • Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Banking

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

11 days
Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
84 days
Job protected leave maternity provided above and beyond FMLA

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Flexible schedule (29% use it)
  • Compressed workweeks (2% use it)
  • Elder care resources
  • Telecommute option (17% use it)
  • Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
96%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
91%
 
I appreciate that this company facilitates telecommuting when necessary.

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care

ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS

  • Breast cancer screening
  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Fitness center
  • Skin cancer screening
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At FCCI, 94 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 4 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Founded in 1959, FCCI distributes coverage in 18 states through a network of independent agents. Customers are both insurance agents and business owners. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
97%
 
Hard work is always recognized and praised by many levels of management. I am proud to work for a company that recognizes the hard work that goes into each day. 

Supporting the Community

  • 4 hours paid time to volunteer per employee per year
  • $290,888 in philanthropic donations in the last year
  •  In 2013, FCCI employees spent time volunteering for and donating 2,255 pounds of food - almost 2,000 meals - to the All Faiths Food Bank in Sarasota, Florida, which named the company its 2013 Corporate Partner of the Year. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
97%
 
The organization truly lives up to the ideal of building a family atmosphere while contributing and giving back to the communities we serve.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At FCCI, 88 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 10 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Although employees are scattered throughout several offices, they say that management keeps them informed about important issues and changes. Nine out of 10 or more say management makes its expectations clear and that management is approachable and easy to talk with. Most (89 percent) also say they can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer and that management genuinely seeks and responds to suggestions and ideas. 

Management will talk to employees in a friendly way. They really listen to what you say and respond accordingly.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At FCCI, 89 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 8 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

FCCI employees widely appreciate the friendliness and ongoing training their leaders encourage at the company. Overall, they have faith in their leaders' ability to guide the company and also feel that leaders care about them individually. A remarkable 95 percent say management is competent at running the business, and 90 percent say management shows a sincere interest in them as people, not just as employees.

Our CEO is very accessible and makes a point to visit each region. There are not many people he doesn't call by name when he sees them. 

Great Perks and Programs

  • Paid Volunteer Hours: Each employee receives four paid hours per year to volunteer in their local communities. 
  • On-the-spot Awards: Employees can give and receive these person-to-person awards to spontaneously recognize instances of exceptional effort or service. These awards can be exchanged for a variety of gift certificates. 
  • Flexible Work Options: Employees are able to telecommute or arrange flexible working hours to help them achieve better work-life balance. 
  • Health and Wellness Perks: Employees can utilize the headquarters' onsite fitness center or participate in FCCI-sponsored programs such as walking clubs and employee Olympic contests, smoking cessation and weight loss initiatives and health screenings and exams. 
  • March Madness: During the company's month-long March Madness celebration, employees receive bonuses based on meeting company goals, merit increases and 401K matches, as well as participate in special parties and events. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from FCCI employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"This is a professional organization that allows you to get your job done and recognizes you when you go above and beyond."

"The company has a great sense of family. People are very willing to help each other. Everyone collaborates and works to do what is best for the organization."

"FCCI provides their employees with benefits that are frankly unparalleled. On top of the traditional benefits employees receive, such as affordable health care and a 401K plan, FCCI employees are able to share in the success of the company through profit-through-performance benefits. Additionally, at a time when most companies are scaling back, FCCI has continued to make the company an enjoyable place to work through events like Fall Fest, the holiday party and more."

"The company follows through on their pay-for-performance philosophy. I feel like what I do really does make a difference, and I am rewarded for hard work."

"FCCI is able to provide the technology and resources to not only have production-based employees work in the field, but administrative and support positions as well. It's a true team approach to have all levels of staff live and work in their assigned agency territory."

"I work from home and my manager does not micromanage my work. I am given the flexibility to handle my work in the manner and timeframe that I feel is appropriate and I really appreciate that flexibility."

"We do a tremendous amount of engaging activities as a team. For instance, our training sessions regularly involve people from all departments, which allows us to understand their perspectives."

"They like to laugh and they like to have fun. I think they fully get the concept that if your people really like you, respect you, feel a part of the bigger picture, then those people are willing to go the extra mile for you. That is what they create here."

"The people here really care for each other and are friendly and compassionate toward their co-workers and within their community. Additionally, we have an excellent benefits package and many extra perks such as an onsite massage therapist, a full, state-of-the-art fitness center with certified instructors, an onsite cafe, dry cleaning pick-up and delivery service as well as a weekly car wash service."

"The fact that our company celebrates profit through performance and provides profit sharing on our retirement plan is both unique and phenomenal!"

"FCCI demands a lot of work and study, but they pay you well for it and act as though they truly appreciate your efforts and contributions."

"Employees are encouraged to volunteer to benefit their communities and are given four company-paid charitable volunteer hours per year."

How to Get Hired

We asked FCCI for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

Key characteristics are those qualities that match our core competencies and fit into our culture: integrity, professional knowledge, teamwork and relationship-building, customer focus, accountability, embracing change, continuous learning and inspirational leadership.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

By visiting our website and viewing our current openings, candidates can determine if their qualifications match our requirements. Candidates can upload a resume and complete our online application. Including a cover letter with the resume is always an extra benefit. Resumes don’t always give enough information, so candidates should try to sell themselves in a cover letter and tell us why they want to work for our company. 

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

Our hiring process includes resume review by an HR member and hiring manager, a detailed interview process, gathering feedback from those involved in the interview(s) and collaboration between HR and the hiring manager to determine skill and culture fit.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

Experienced insurance professionals and candidates who are interested in learning and developing into valued team members are our focus.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Candidates can visit our website to learn more about our culture, our vision and our staffing needs.

Hiring Outlook

3%Job Growth 33Average number of applicants per opening
4%Total voluntary turnover in past year 3813Applicants in past year
48Openings in past year 24%New hires by employee referrals

Follow FCCI Insurance Group

Related Companies