At Etsy, 94 percent of employees say their workplace is great.



This review is based on 296 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 4.11. It was published on Jul 6, 2015. 9392 Visitors

What You Should Know

For its employees, Etsy isn't just a website that can help someone sell hand-knit socks. Etsy is out to "create a lasting and more fulfilling world." Employees are extremely proud to be part of the socially- responsible business -- verified through its B-Corp designation -- and enjoy a caring, fun and creative work life among a team that feels like family. Etsy keeps employees well taken care of through free organic catered meals, a dedicated room for meditation or yoga, team ski trips and development opportunities that appeal to employees' professional and personal goals. The company's growing rapidly, so prospective employees should be keen for that particular mix of challenges and opportunities. "It's the strongest, most authentically positive workplace culture I've ever been a part of," says one employee. "I've worked in some of the highest regarded workplaces in the country and this company just has something magical that I've never seen before. It goes way beyond parties and perks."


Etsy offers an online marketplace where people around the world can connect to buy and sell unique products. 

Website: US Headquarters: Brooklyn, New York
US Sites: 3 Major Locations: Brooklyn, NY; Hudson, NY; San Francisco, CA
Founded: 2005 Industry: Media

Etsy has been awarded:

Great Workplaces in Retail 2014 (ranked 3)

Best Small & Medium Workplaces 2014 (ranked 19)

Best Medium Workplaces 2013 (ranked 23)

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected Etsy employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. An average of 86 percent of Etsy employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 12 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Etsy employees create an online platform for people around the world to easily buy and sell handmade or other unique goods. The company has more than 600 employees worldwide, with three locations in the United States, where they operate across New York and San Francisco.

Most employees (89 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and nearly everyone (94 percent) also says that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (89 percent), their work at Etsy is more than just a job: The chance to give business owners and artisans opportunities to support themselves provides special meaning.

At Etsy, 90 percent of employees say they receive the training and professional development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Etsy, 79 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, which is 4 percentage points higher than what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 10 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 90 hours
  • Staff members attend Etsy School to learn skills from their talented colleagues. In a recent quarter, employees offered over 30 classes, ranging from everything from music theory to cooking to electronics hacking. The school is intended to create a forum for employees to share their gifts with co-workers and contribute to one another's professional, mental, physical and spiritual well-being.
  • Etsy has a Learning and Development team that helps employees throughout the business develop skills in line with the company’s values, and an employee committee selects workshop topics to ensure that people get to learn about the subjects that matter most to them and their careers. The company offers interactive leadership workshops that are open to managers and non-managers alike, and practice sessions in which people share challenges and provide tips and support to each other. People can also learn collaborative group process models by solving real organizational issues with the help of a guided facilitator, or just download videos and articles from their Wiki.
Being able to express interest in additional roles or responsibilities, and then having management seek to satisfy that, is amazing. The company's investment in not only acquiring talent to begin with, but then cultivating and nurturing that even further, is a testament to its growth strategy.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

An average of 94 percent of Etsy employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 4 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Etsy's largest corporate campus is located in a trendy section of Brooklyn, N.Y., close to a variety of arts and cultural attractions. While employees are free to work from home or elsewhere, most enjoy coming to the quirkily designed offices highlighted by murals, natural light, a stocked kitchen and plenty of places to lounge and work. More than eight out of 10 employees say the office facilities contribute to a good working environment. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • Every month, employees celebrate birthdays, Etsyversaries (hiring-date anniversaries) and other milestones with treats such as locally made cupcakes or sundaes. To mark hitting a significant business milestone, one Etsy team hosted a party for all employees with mai tais, tropical snacks and tropical decorations. On another occasion, employees who finished their performance reviews on time were given secret envelopes containing rocket balloons, which they then launched in the air for a surprise flash mob.
  • The company hosts locally sourced catered lunches every Tuesday and Thursday in an event called Eatsy. The entire team takes an annual ski trip together, known as EtSki. 

Caring and Support

  • Employees and the company support each other by sending flowers or gifts in times of sympathy or celebration. Teams regularly throw baby showers and wedding showers. And flexible hours, as well as a generous paid-time-off program and unlimited sick days, are available for those who need them. 
People celebrate special events around here.
Everyone is in it together. Even when there are disagreements, they are constructive. It's almost like a family.



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

An average of 82 percent of Etsy employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 13 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

There are a lot of unique opportunities about working at Etsy: paid time off for volunteer work, the opportunity to ride bikes down to the farm to compost our office waste, celebrating our talents outside of work at the company talent show, and time spent together during our annual ski trip. We build ties with each other and the community.


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-Tax Savings Account


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis


25 days
Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
60 days
Paid leave for adoptive parents


  • Paid Sabbaticals
  • Telecommute Option (10% use it)
  • Flexible Schedule (75% use it)
  • Lactation Rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
We're able to work from anywhere, since we work on laptops provided by the company. This makes it easier to travel. We're not required to work on holidays.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments


  • Flu Shots
  • Subsidized Offsite Gym Memberships

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

An average of 92 percent of Etsy employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 7 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 99 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

The Etsy community spans the globe, with more than 40 million members and more than a million active sellers coming from nearly 200 countries. In 2013, $1.35 billion of goods were sold on the site. The company helps give small businesses a global platform through which to build their businesses and help shape the economy.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Etsy is a B Corp. and is focused at improving more than just its bottom line. I like that I contribute to the greater good at Etsy without having to compromise on things like advertising or mining people's personal data.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 40 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $82,000
  • Etsy is a certified B Corporation, which is a new class of corporations that voluntarily meets high social and environmental standards, as measured by a third party. To mark the occasion, their chief executive officer, Chad Dickerson, signed a Declaration of Interdependence, which states the company’s intent to act with the understanding that everyone is dependent upon each other and thus responsible for each other and for future generations.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Etsy is a company where the work we do directly empowers and affects the livelihood of people all over the world. It's an incredible feeling knowing the good that comes from our daily work on a global and personal level.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

An average of 80 percent of Etsy employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 16 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Etsy operates across three locations in the United States and employs people in engineering, marketing and software development roles. Across these locations, nine out of 10 employees believe management is approachable and easy to talk to. Most (82 percent) also say company leaders genuinely seek out their input and respond to their ideas. Nearly as many (78 percent) trust that managers keep them informed of important issues and changes.

Leadership genuinely cares about transparency, how decisions will affect each individual employee and wants to do things the right way. They share really ambitious visions that everyone gets behind wholeheartedly. It's a very open and honest culture that includes feedback and post-mortems across everything we do. 

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

An average of 80 percent of Etsy employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 14 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Etsy employees widely appreciate the friendly and caring environment their leaders encourage at the company. Team members describe the organization as a place where they and their skills are valued, and where executives' commitment to creating a better world extends beyond the way they run the business and into how they treat employees as well. Nearly everyone at the company (97 percent of staff) say that management is honest and ethical in its business practices. Employees also trust that managers are running the business well: Nine out of 10 say management is competent at running the business, and most (85 percent) can rely upon managers' actions to match their words. In the more personal realm, 91 percent of staff report that managers show a sincere interest in employees as people, not just as staff members.

People truly respect the opinions and the expertise that others bring to the organization. Managers and colleagues are secure about their own skill set and don't try to do your job for you.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Eatsy: The company hosts locally sourced catered lunches for staff every Tuesday and Thursday, in a yummy event known as "Eatsy."
  • Hack Week: At the suggestion of an employee, Etsy implemented Hack Week -- an annual opportunity for all employees to put aside their regular work and focus on collaborating across teams to work on inspiring projects that might be different than their usual focus. The last days of Hack Week involve demos where everyone unveils their work, which has included new features for users on, new internal tools for staff and even murals for their offices. The week isn't spent entirely nose to the grindstone: Employees also threw a five-minute office-wide dance party one day, organized a visit from a beat-boxing flutist and got a contingent of employees together to blow up hundreds of balloons to fill the CEO’s office with while he was away for a day.
  • Happiness Survey: Etsy conducts a company-wide Happiness Survey/Values Report each year that reports on the delivery of their commitments to employees, their community and the planet. It is based on an employee survey that allows everyone to give feedback about all facets of the company.
  • Fitness Classes: The company encourages a healthful lifestyle by offering weekly, mixed-level yoga classes (EtsYoga) and fitness groups (Fitsy and Sweatsy). 
  • Ministry of Unusual Business: Managers can nominate anyone in the company for a token of appreciation, often an Etsy item that the employee has bookmarked on as something they’d like to have. The Ministry sends these gifts anonymously to surprise the employee. Managers also have access to a special annual budget that allows them to spontaneously award bonuses to employees who go above and beyond.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Etsy employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

Word Cloud

"The positive atmosphere is unequaled. Everyone is friendly and genuinely seems to enjoy working here. The company-provided lunch for all staff is amazing, not just the fact that it exists, but also its quality. It really shows that the well-being and happiness of employees is a real priority here."

"Etsy is making a real difference in people's lives. It's doing something that is unique, connects to humans' psychology and helps people make their living selling on Etsy."

"I work for a fantastic company with a strong mission and purpose. I feel that working here makes a difference, and I couldn't be more thankful that I get to work here. I felt like I belonged here as soon as I started, and I feel that my work is appreciated."

"Superior atmosphere in terms of office design (true of all offices), flexible schedule, catered lunches and organized social events throughout the year to provide camaraderie among employees."

"Etsy doesn't feel like a job. As corny as this sounds, it feels like a second home. You're welcomed from the very first moment you step in the door. People look out for each other and help encourage each other to grow, learn and excel. Everyone is treated equally and with respect. Management does a terrific job at hiring people who fit in with the Etsy culture, who care deeply for the community and each other's well-being."

"This is the first company I've worked for that I actually want to stay after work hours to spend time with my co-workers. They're such a great group of interesting people and it's exciting to be working with them. I really feel blessed and thought it wouldn't be possible to have something like this."

"There's a real amount of caring and enthusiasm that's put into every person's career, by both the employee and his/her manager. There's a lot of structural oversight of career paths to ensure that workers stay happy and feel fulfilled in their careers."

"Etsy has a sense of pride at providing a platform that a community can use to follow their passions and create small businesses. It is a very particular pride and we who work here know we're helping people by providing a place to show and sell and find goods made with passion and creativity."

"What makes Etsy unique is a willingness to challenge universal conventions, coupled with the courage to implement newness."

"More than any company I've ever heard of, Etsy cares about its values and strives to fulfill them. I've never experienced a company (large or small) where there is so much commitment to being a force for good and so much action in line with these values."

"Management doesn't say one thing then do another here. If they say something, they generally plan on following through with it. This company isn't afraid to examine itself and make changes, which I think is its strongest strength. Humane work hours, ownership, self autonomy, these are all things that are important to this company, and management does an excellent job of making me feel like I have autonomy in my work and ownership of this product."

"Everyone makes an effort to make you feel involved and to know you. I feel like every single person in the company is approachable, from a part-time contractor, to a senior engineer, to a manager, up to the CEO."

"Real internal dialogue takes place regarding how we, as a company, can make the world a better, fairer and more sustainable place. This mission feels as if it pervades the entire workplace, and makes our jobs take on significance beyond that of a means to personal or company success."

How to Get Hired

Hiring Outlook

27%Job Growth 102Average number of applicants per opening
10%Total voluntary turnover in past year 32462Applicants in past year
257Openings in past year 31%New hires by employee referrals

Related Companies