What Employees Say
People celebrate special events around here.
This is a fun place to work.
I can be myself around here.
When people change jobs or work units, they are made to feel right at home.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked Elephant Insurance to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Elephant is a passionate, direct-to-consumer,fast-growing financial services company, specializing in providing low cost car insurance with a commitment to providing reliable coverage and excellent service at affordable rates.
About this Company
| Website: www.elephant.com|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: Henrico, Virginia, 23233|| US Sites: 2|
| Major Locations: Carrollton, Texas, 75007|| US Employees: 633|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2009|
Perks and Programs
We asked Elephant Insurance to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Best-in-class Parental Leave: New mothers/primary parents receive 12 weeks of fully paid leave, a two-week bonus after six months back at work and an additional week of PTO in the child's first year.
- 22 days off in first year: Every employee receives 22 paid days off per year (not including the 6 paid holidays), starting their very first day. Employees are encouraged to take time off work to spend with their families or on vacations. After five years, employees receive 27 paid days off.
- Free Company Stocks for Everyone: All employees, regardless of tenure or position, receive $4,600 of free parent company shares every year. These vest after 3 years and employees choose to sell or keep them. And don't forget the dividends! Benefits from the stock plan can total $6,550 per year!
- Ability to Make an Impact: There’s an attitude and feeling at Elephant that employees are a part of something bigger and more important than just their individual position. Each month, the CEO or other senior leaders gather all employees to talk about the business performance from the previous month and overall throughout the year. Employees are able to track the KPIs to see how what they do directly impacts the success of the business. Every employee receives company stock per year because they are all business owners and the financial success of the company is directly tied to the potential value of the employee-held stocks.
- Employee-first Health Insurance: Each year, we ask employees what they are looking for in their health insurance options. We structure our benefits based on their feedback and reduced one of our family health plan premiums by 50% last year because of what we heard from our employees. We have three consumer-driven health plan choices that are customizable based on what the specific employee values. Just by participating in one of the health plans, Elephant contributes $1250 to those employees' HSA.
- So Many Internal Promotions: We believe in promoting from within and developing our internal talent. In 2016, we had 225 internal promotions and transfers! In order to make sure our employees are ready for the next step in their careers, we have several internal training programs for all levels of employees
- Elephanteering: Our Elephanteering program gives employees opportunities to contribute to the community while still at work. Elephant offers paid volunteering days almost every month as well as activities to engage employees while still at their desks. In 2016, we partnered with several organizations to total 480 volunteer hours. We also sponsor and donate to charities and organizations that are close to employees through a community chest donation and donation-match program.
- Amazing HSA Contributions: STOMP, which stands for "Stampeding Towards Our Maximum Potential" is Elephant's Wellness Program. This is an incentive based program and it is made available to all employees. By participating in STOMP, employees have the ability to earn up-to an extra $600 in their HSA. To earn their STOMP points, employees have to do only four things: 1. go to their primary care physician, 2. attend on-site nutrition classes, 3. participate in two exercise activities and 4. be a non-smoker.
- Benefits and Perks: In addition to our customizable health insurance plans, we also offer employees a rich collection of other benefits and perks including: 5% 401k match, employer-paid dental and life insurance, gym member reimbursement, access to 24/7 telephonic medical appointments, $60 for every employee to spend on a self-directed book buying program, highly subsidized back-up day care and an educational reimbursement program that pays for technical certifications and grants time off to study.
- Fun at Work: Elephant believes that people who like what they do, do it better. We live out this philosophy every day and encourage in having fun at work. Each department has a monthly budget solely for fun and the company provides funds for centralized fun for all staff as well. Some recent successful fun events: in-office trick-or-treating with families; a carnival during work hours with snow cones, popcorn and games; and a trip for all staff and their families to a local amusement park. Employees can also win trips to visit the parent company in the UK through a talent show or a yearly Top Department competition.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 5% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 5% of salary||96% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 79% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 96% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 29 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 11 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 28 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
| 11 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)||30 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- On-site or near-site backup childcare center
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 24 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $1,425 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| $1,500 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|
- Employee Relations Manager oversees diversity and inclusion practices
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- 2 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Elephant Insurance for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
A great candidate will be able to work within our start-up mentality. Things are constantly on the move and we need candidates to be able to keep up with the fast-paced environment. A great candidate will also have a strong preference towards teamwork and collaboration. Elephant employees work in an open environment – both literally and figuratively. We want candidates who enjoy working with others and who believe that the best results are usually a group effort.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Take your time filling out the application and make sure to fill in all parts in full detail. Do your research about the company and be able to reference different aspects of the company in your application and in your interviews.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Elephant Insurance is always interested in bringing in new talent and continuing to grow and expand our company as we assist our customers!
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Check out our website, LinkedIn, Facebook and Glassdoor for more information!
| 180 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 7% Job Growth|
| 50 Average applicants per opening|| 6,054 Total job applicants|
| 11% New hires by employee referrals|| 52% Openings filled by current employees|
| 13 Recent graduates hired|| 13% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|