What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Management is competent at running the business.
I am offered training or development to further myself professionally.
What They Do
We asked EKS&H LLLP to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a Colorado-based professional service firm providing audit, tax, and business consulting services to clients locally, nationally, and internationally.
About this Company
| Website: www.eksh.com|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Denver, Colorado, 80237|| US Sites: 5|
| Major Locations: Denver, Colorado, 80202; Boulder, Colorado, 80302; Fort Collins, Colorado, 80525; San Francisco, California, 94108|| US Employees: 647|
| US Revenues: $99.6 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $99.6 million|
| Corporate Structure: Partnership; Private|| Founded: 1978|
Perks and Programs
We asked EKS&H LLLP to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- 11-Month Year: We also know time away from work is essential. Which is why our employees rave about our 11-month year. Through this perk, folks can enjoy additional time off, beyond paid time/holidays. They “buy this time” by trading some compensation and can use it for whatever they wish. Often it’s for special events like weddings or vacations. But it can also be used just for kicking back. Employees can take up to 4 weeks and arrange this time off any way they wish. It can even be a day at a time, like taking every Friday off during summer months. Each year about 60% of our employees take advantage of this perk that fosters a healthier work-life balance.
- Sabbaticals: This unique work-life balance perk is universally loved. For every 5 years that you work at EKS&H, managers, sr. managers, directors and partners get an additional 3 - 4 weeks paid time off to be taking in one block of time. The intent is for employee to be totally unplugged from work, relax, and recharge. Of course, before leaving they must make sure workload and client needs are covered. And their co-workers are happy to step up and help out. This culture of teamwork truly allows our employees to decompress, confident that everything is being handled. Knowing your back is covered and that you have a caring, supportive team is the reality here on every level.
- Parental Leave: We work hard to be socially responsible, including honoring our working parents and a diversity of families. Regardless natural birth vs. adoption, the self-identified primary caregiver gets up to 14 weeks off. The non-primary caregiver gets 3 weeks. Both benefits are 100% paid and competitive with the Big 4 firms, while exceeding those of many other companies. We’re highly flexible in working with an individual who may want more time off then the paid parental leave.
- Appreciation Gifts: At firm semi-annual meetings we recognize awesome individual performances for with “Client Service and Core Value” awards that include gift certificates for up to $250. The “Standing on Your Head Awards” are given for going way above and beyond the call of duty and it’s a limo-driven night out on the town with your spouse or a friend, valued at up to $750. Along with annual Happy New Year, Happy Anniversary, and Employee Appreciation gifts, for every 5 years of service we present gifts that escalate in value from Movado watches to travel vouchers. We also have special thank you gifts such as our “End of Busy Season” $80.00 gift certificate. Spot awards of gift certificates are given as thank yous ongoing ranging from $25-$100.
- Wellness: We believe our employees should have a “healthy mind in a healthy body.” We offer a cutting-edge, onsite fitness center and also reimburse up to $80.00 a month for a membership fee for an outside gym. We provide wellness coaches to help employees attain goals they choose ranging from weight loss and healthy eating to smoking cessation. As further incentive if they reach 3 core wellness goals, including a yearly physical, we offer premium insurance reductions and healthy employee incentives up to $400 annually. We financially support company teams and offer options and stress management advice to stimulate mind, body, and spirit. All to help assure we have healthier, happier members of our EKS&H family.
- Nutrition: Hand in hand with holistic wellness, we know more and more people seek healthier eating choices. While we don’t have an onsite EKS&H café, we do our part by offering smarter eating options to help maintain good health. We provide healthy snacks including fruit, nuts, and trail-mix every day in our break room. Throughout the year we offer healthful lunches for employee meetings, retreats, and team-building sessions. And as part of our wellness coaching initiative, literature and advice are also offered for developing healthier eating habits.
- Smart Casual Dress: When you picture an accounting firm, too often people think of dress shoes, stodgy suits, and ties. At EKS&H, we believe in having fun and that begins with being comfortable. Our folks can wear neat, professional, yet informal and relaxed attire like jeans and polos, any day they don’t have a client meeting. We even have special attire occasions, including “I Wish I Was in Hawaii” casual day, 4th of July red, white and blue attire, March Madness collegiate apparel, and of course – Broncos, Rockies, Avalanche, and Nuggets fan dress up days!
- Flexible Work Arrangements: Our mission “To Serve Others and Build Trust” begins with viewing our employees as professionals entrusted to get work done without micro-management. Through our “Flexible Career Initiative” we support individuals who wish to work remotely part of the week and/or those that wish to have more flexibility of when they work. Many of our employees take advantage of flexible work arrangements of how, when and where they work. We never want to lose good people with outdated thinking. We also encourage employees to attend their kids’ activities that occur during the workday. Since we want our employee to be open and adaptable, they should expect no less from us.
- Fun – A Core Value: “Having Fun” is one of our most important core values and we’ve worked very hard to garner a reputation as a fun firm. Our C-level folks actively partake, doing goof impersonations during our annual partner skit or serving as judges during our Halloween costume contest. All-employee meetings include trivia games and employee game shows like “Are You Smarter than Your Accountant?” Or performing a Flash-Mob routine in front of Coors Field before a Rockies game. We have annual family picnics, holiday parties, and invite kids to treat-or-treat in the office, along with Easter Egg Hunts.
- Advanced Technology: We invest extensively in technology and training for our employees. With today’s all-pervasive connectivity, we also recognize technology is an extension of an employee’s lifestyle. So we support and promote social systems and tools that keep folks connected with faster response and specialized service. That way teams can collaborate from anywhere and get what they need when they need it. While some employees view this as a perk, for many professionals, especially in younger generations, it is an expectation. Either way, we’re happy to provide the technology our employee’s desire.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|89% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 51% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| 89% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|| 20 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
| $3,500 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 29 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 8 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 3 weeks Paid sabbatical after 5 year(s) of employment|
| 29 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 8 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (75% use it)
- Telecommute option (25% use it)
- Subsided On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (busy season dinners and lunches, healthy snack options in the caf, free coffee/soda, wellness & fitness challenges, nutritional lunch and learns, re-occurring opportunity to donate blood on-site, dry cleaning delivery)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|90 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||65 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|90 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||30 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|90 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*||55 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $1,095,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked EKS&H LLLP for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
- Team Player
- Work Ethic – involved outside of school, extracurricular activities, work experience
- Connect – warm, genuine
- Communication with team and clients
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
- Exhibit excitement and knowledge about EKS&H by asking well thought out questions
- Be direct and honest
- Invest time, ask to meet more employees
- Be confident about desired career and preferences
- Handwritten thank you cards
- Good follow up
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
- May 2019 or May 2020 Accounting Graduates with 150 of CPA eligible college credits
- Experienced IT consultants
- Audit and Tax professionals with 3-5 years of experience
- Candidates with a desire to grow their career in Colorado
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
- Visit our careers website at www.eksh.com/careers
- Read articles and watch videos on our website
- Talk to clients/volunteer at our NFP clients
- Meet our employees at networking/charity functions
- Join Beta Alpha Psi at your university
- Visit their university’s’ career services team
- Attend Meet the Firms at your university
| 140 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 20% Job Growth|
| 29 Average applicants per opening|| 3,500 Total job applicants|
| 21% New hires by employee referrals|| 48% Openings filled by current employees|
| 70 Recent graduates hired|| 10% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 4% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|