For those in accounting and professional services, Deloitte needs no introduction. This Big Four organization does business across the world, yet its 105 U.S. offices enjoy a work environment as collegial as it is demanding. 

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 1182 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.81. It was published on Feb 24, 2015. 6993 Visitors

What You Should Know

For those in accounting and professional services, Deloitte needs no introduction. This Big Four organization does business across the world, yet professionals throughout its 105 offices in the United States say they enjoy a work environment as collegial as it is demanding. Team members widely describe their colleagues as both friendly and proud of their contributions to the firm. At the same time, employees appreciate travel policies and work arrangements that entrust them with a degree of flexibility in how they meet the challenges of their jobs. Professionals looking for opportunities to expand their expertise will also find an organization dedicated to career development, as evidenced by Deloitte's $300 million education center. As in many professional services partnerships, though, a share of employees feel its profits could be shared more equitably. Overall, one team member describes the atmosphere this way: "I work with very friendly and very bright people. Despite working in what can be, at times, a high-pressure environment, people genuinely care about one another and treat each other well."

WHAT THEY DO

Deloitte provides accounting and other professional services to businesses. Its expertise includes risk management, organization transformation, anti-fraud consulting and business tax services.

Website: www.deloitte.com/us US Headquarters: New York, New York
US Sites: 105 Major Locations: Arlington, VA; New York, NY; Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA; Atlanta, GA
US Professionals: 46,136 US revenues: $13,894 million
Founded: 1895 Industry: Professional Services

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected Deloitte employees - or as the company refers to them, "professionals" - to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Deloitte, 83 percent of professionals report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 13 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of professionals in the Great Challenges category.

Deloitte professionals provide a range of professional services to other companies. The organization has approximately 46,136 professionals in the United States, where they operate out of 105 offices.

A large majority (90 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (84 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. Additionally, seven in 10 professionals say their work for Deloitte is more than "just a job."

At Deloitte, 90 percent of professionals feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Deloitte, 69 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 7 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • Tuition Assistance Program: Up to $10,000 annually
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried professionals: 55 hours
  • The organization has invested over $300 million in Deloitte University, an expansive campus where professionals take part in a broad range of training and conferences. Deloitte also helps its people grow professionally through coaching, projects intended to broaden their skills, formal career counseling, leadership training and a variety of other development opportunities.
It challenges me every day and continues to introduce me to new areas of taxation. This is what makes me excited when I walk into work every day.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Deloitte, 72 percent of professionals say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 20 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 92 percent of professionals in the Great Atmosphere category.

Ninety percent of Deloitte professionals describe their working environment as consistently friendly, and 82 percent say it is caring. Most team members (86 percent) also say people in the organization are cooperative. In fact, seven in 10 actually look forward to coming to work.

Fun and Celebrations

  • Deloitte's offices make a point to carve out time for professionals to socialize outside work. This might include a night at the ball park, bowling, cake decorating competitions or contests related to the organization's sponsorship of the U.S. Olympic Committee. 

Caring and Support

  • Deloitte offers a 24/7 help line and a confidential employee assistance program that provides grief counseling and other resources for team members facing personal challenges. Those with serious illnesses can take up to 25 weeks of paid short-term disability leave at full pay, or leave for longer periods with 66 percent of pay under a long-term disability program. The organization also offers resources for back up child care and elder care.
People celebrate special events around here.
76%
 
Deloitte seems to be big on diversity (i.e., cultures), which makes for a great work environment.

Demographics*

 

*As of June 1, 2014

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Deloitte, 65 percent of professionals often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 22 percent report they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 87 percent of professionals in the Great Rewards category.

The benefits are excellent. Also, when other places were not able to give raises due to the economy, Deloitte ensured that their people still got compensated [appropriately].

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

$58,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Administrative Assistant $89,266 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Senior/Senior Consultant
25% 401(k) match of professional's salary, up to 6% of a professional's contribution 70% Company-paid health coverage for professionals
70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 20 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • Annual Incentive Program
  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Pension
  • Deferred profit-sharing plan

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Free snacks during the day
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Fitness classes
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Personal travel service

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

Up to 32 days Annual paid time off, in addition to holidays 10 days Holidays
$5,000 Adoption benefit 40 days Paid leave for adoptive parents
$500 Health and fitness subsidy

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Paid sabbaticals
  • Telecommute option (95% use it)
  • Compressed workweeks 
  • Offsite subsidized child care
  • Elder care resources
  • Unpaid sabbaticals
  • Job sharing
  • Phased retirement planning
  • Lactation rooms
  • Child care reimbursement during business travel
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
81%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
60%
 
The flexibility I have from Deloitte is amazing. I work full time but I am able to work from home, or from other parts of the country as my personal needs require.

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments

ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS

  • Fitness center at Deloitte University
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Deloitte, 80 percent of professionals report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 15 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of professionals in the Great Pride category.

Deloitte strives to give its clients the confidence they need to make difficult decisions, to protect investors and to build trust in capital markets.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
90%
 
Exceptional people. I have worked with some great role models, mentors and leaders. I have worked here many years but not compared to some. The fact that people stay speaks to Deloitte being a great place to work.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per professional per year: 8 hours
  • Professionals often take part in pro-bono work for a diverse selection of nonprofits. Another example of how the organization gives back is Impact Day, when Deloitte shuts down its operations and takes part in hundreds of service projects across the U.S.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
90%
 
Impact Day, a day when the firm volunteers in the community. It's a great way to help in your community and to get to know people in other parts of the firm that you may never meet because of the size.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Deloitte, 72 percent of professionals say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 21 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 93 percent of professionals in the Great Communication category.

Although Deloitte is a large company employing 46,136 people in 105 U.S. offices, the organization makes a concerted effort to engage and connect with all of its professionals. People are encouraged to speak face-to-face, and when that is not possible, all types of media are used to stay connected, including webcasts, conference calls, video conferences and internal social media. 

Most professionals (79 percent) say their managers are approachable and easy to talk with. At the same time, 74 percent of team members say their leaders make expectations clear and genuinely seek suggestions and ideas. 

For me, it's the relationships I have built with others with the same job function in other offices throughout the U.S. The people are very responsive and friendly, as if we work closely in a physical office together. I really do appreciate this, considering the size of the company.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Deloitte, 69 percent of professionals say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 23 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 92 percent of professionals in the Great Bosses category.

Deloitte professionals appreciate the collegial atmosphere and professional development their leaders encourage at the company. Colleagues also express a wide degree of confidence in their executives' decision making. Eighty-eight percent say their managers are honest and ethical. While 87 percent feel their leaders are competent at running the business.

Deloitte is a very open and welcoming company. As a consultant with less than one year with Deloitte I have been able to make connections with many of the partners and upper management. The partners and upper management do not treat me as 'lowly' or 'unimportant,' but rather as an integral part of the team.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Alternative Travel Policy: At Deloitte, a plane ticket is a plane ticket. With approval, professionals traveling to serve clients can trade in their company-paid tickets home on the weekend for airfare and a hotel in another city they'd like to visit, so long as the costs are the same. Or they can use this alternative travel policy to fly a guest out to the client location for the weekend.
  • Deloitte University: This $300 million facility on what was formerly a 107-acre Texas ranch lets professionals train in style. Between classes, leadership forums and conference events, attendees can wander the running trails or work out in a state-of-the-art fitness center. During their downtime, classmates also gather at The Barn, which features gaming consoles, TVs and pool tables, or Bistro 375, a combination coffee shop-cocktail lounge.   
  • Bonuses: More advanced professionals receive performance bonuses as part of their compensation packages, but all professionals are eligible for ad hoc bonuses. People going above and beyond in their jobs can receive Applause Awards of between $50 and $500, while winners of the Outstanding Performance Awards can take home several thousand dollars. The firm also offers bonuses for employee referrals worth up to $7,500.
  • Time Off: The average Deloitte professional can take 35 days off each year, which includes 10 holidays and paid time off that can be used for personal leave or vacation. A sabbatical program also offers a month of unpaid leave, or between three and six months of leave at 40 percent pay, with benefits, to pursue professional or personal goals.
  • Pension: In addition to the organization's contributions to professional 401K plans, Deloitte offers a rare defined-benefit pension plan that provides a guaranteed source of retirement income for vested participants. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Deloitte professionals via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons professionals said they appreciate their workplace.

"As a working mother, I am given a lot of flexibility from management, my direct supervisors and my team. We often operate as a family and genuinely care about each other's personal and professional lives."

"The company promotes learning and invests in training. I enjoy working with my immediate supervisors and the people in my group."

"You are given lots of flexibility as long as you do your work. In a sense, you work as if you are an independent agent, yet there is a sense of community."

"Deloitte does an excellent job of allowing you to expand your horizons. You can become exposed to a number of competencies while working here and certainly learn a lot from the best. Management is always kind, helpful and understanding."

"Deloitte treats its employees well and rewards the top employees."

"Many companies state that 'face-time' is unimportant and that work can be done in or out of the office, as long as it gets done. When Deloitte makes this representation, they can be held to their words. I am never made to feel uncomfortable for working out of the office if I need to work from home (e.g., if one of my children is sick.) Our personal lives are always taken into account. Whenever an in-person meeting is suggested, for example, the first question asked is consistently, 'Are you going to be in the office?' In fact, time off is taken very seriously. A senior manager who took a six-month sabbatical a few years ago is up for partnership this year. Her time off did not prejudice the firm in terms of promotion in the least."

"Deloitte has an excellent team culture. People and groups partner together in providing professional services to our clients. Having worked at a competitor, I can say Deloitte is best-in-class."

"Deloitte has great technological capabilities that provide employees the flexibility to work in the office, with the client or another remote location seamlessly and effortlessly."

"My favorite aspect is the fact that we are always using cutting edge technologies and are considered experts in our field to all other companies."

"Deloitte does a great job of making sure employee job satisfaction is at the highest level possible. They survey our employees and work extra hard to improve whenever possible. They do a great job at leading and training us through formal training programs and through utilizing in-house coaches and mentors to help us grow."

"I think Deloitte does everything possible to make it a wonderful environment for the working mother and families with young children."

"It is a unique place to work - one of the few instances where management actually follows through on their commitments and promises. They are truly interested in the welfare of all employees, both professionally as well as personally."

How to Get Hired

We asked Deloitte for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

First and foremost, for Deloitte, it's about our people. Our people deliver measurable and enduring impact on behalf of our clients, communities and society, which makes us the leading professional services firm. So given this framework, we look for a broad range of skills and experiences in potential hires, including:

  • Humble, likeable and down-to-earth, but confident
  • Professional
  • Engaging
  • Charismatic
  • Client-ready and credible
  • Good listener with mindful decision-making skills
  • Applicable industry skills and/or unique experience from a non-traditional background
  • Ambitious and entrepreneurial and keen to forge their own path
  • Demonstrated track record of exceptional leadership - evidenced by roles in professional and extracurricular efforts.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Bring your authentic self to every interaction with our people. It's important that the fit is right for both the prospective professional and the organization. We look for people who share our values: ethical community citizens, inclusive, lifelong learners, collaborative.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

Our interview process typically consists of three rounds for experienced candidates. The first two rounds are done on the phone. The first interview is a general assessment with the recruiter to assess whether we have a match on the basics, including prior experience, communication skills and career objectives. If there is a match, the candidate will move onto a phone interview with a practitioner from the business to do a deeper dive on previous experience and expertise. Third, candidates are invited to interview in a Deloitte office with senior level practitioners. During this session, we assess core professional capabilities and continue to probe on subject matter expertise and analytical skills. In preparation for the interview process, we recommend getting to know more about our culture and people. We offer a variety of ways to do this, including our social channels: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

Yes! We are actively recruiting for all of our businesses, but an area of growth across our organization is definitely technology. As technology continues to advance at a rapid pace, it translates into more technology skills needed across all our Deloitte businesses. We have a variety of needs, ranging from functional, technology strategy and project management roles to technical architect, development and integration roles. Most of these roles require a minimum of two years of professional experience and increase from there depending on the level of the position. While not an absolute requirement, some previous experience is desirable. For people interested in our federal government practice, many of our positions require an active U.S. government clearance or eligibility to obtain a clearance.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Whether you are transitioning from campus to career or looking to make a change as an experienced hire candidate, you can learn more about career opportunities and open needs on the Deloitte careers site. The site provides a one-stop-shop for candidates to learn much more about Deloitte, what we do, what life is like at Deloitte and more. On the site, we have launched networking communities for military veterans and women pursuing careers in technology. The communities create a personalized recruiting experience that connects candidates to people inside Deloitte with similar career interests, addresses the questions of each individual job seeker and helps recruits understand what a Deloitte career looks like. The networks have been hugely successful and have attracted nearly 1,000 members currently. 

Hiring Outlook

59Average number of applicants per opening 14%Total voluntary turnover in past year
319513Applicants in past year 43%New hires by employee referrals

Follow Deloitte LLP

Related Companies