What Employees Say
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
Everyone has an opportunity to get special recognition.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked Communications Strategy Group to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Communications Strategy Group (CSG ®), an award-winning strategic communications firm, serves a diverse portfolio of consumer, education, financial, health, and professional services clients, including Cochlear, Farmers Insurance, Janus Capital, New Belgium Brewing, and TIME For Kids.
About this Company
| Website: https://csg-pr.com|| Industry: Advertising & Marketing|
| US Headquarters: Denver, Colorado|| US Sites: 4|
| Major Locations: Washington D.C., District of Columbia; New York, New York; Chicago, Illinois|| US Employees: 31|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2004|
Perks and Programs
We asked Communications Strategy Group to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Unlimited PTO: CSGers are provided unlimited time off. It’s based on a philosophy that all team members are responsible adults who are considerate and take care to support their clients and colleagues. Therefore, as long as their clients and colleagues are covered, if they need the time, they take it, no questions asked.
- Profit Sharing: All team members are eligible to share in the profits of the company. As each of the practice areas are operated as their own P+L, each of the practices’ profits are put into a bonus pool for distribution. Team members are also encouraged to participate in business development and growth. For every new client that a team member brings in, they receive 10 percent of the retainer revenue for the first 12 months. Additionally, any employee who refers a new team member for hire receives a bonus upon the new hire’s start date, as well as when the new hire reaches six months with CSG.
- Happiness Coordinator: Employee happiness is paramount at CSG, which is why the company has a full-time Happiness Coordinator. As part of her responsibilities, she stocks the kitchen with healthy snacks, chairs the Fun and Wellness committees, organizes lunches, happy hours and team outings, and sends care packages to the Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C. offices.
- Bi-Annual "Gathers: Twice a year, employees nationwide gather in Colorado for three days of team building, professional development and strategy and planning. It’s a great opportunity to spend time together, to get to know team members from other offices and to celebrate successes and look toward CSG’s future. Additionally, during the summer retreat, family activities are incorporated into the Gather and significant others and children are encouraged to join.
- Team Member Recognition and Appreciation: Recognition and appreciation are significant parts of CSG’s culture. To facilitate ongoing shared gratitude, CSG uses the YouEarnedIt platform to encourage cross-practice, company-wide peer acknowledgement and rewards. Employees can award points to others for going above and beyond, hitting milestone work anniversaries, enjoying a birthday or even having a fun exchange in passing. Employees can redeem their points for gift cards, charity donations and movie tickets, among many other things.
- Flexible Work Day/Place: CSG-ers have the flexibility to work from home, work from the office, or work from wherever they can find a stable Wi-Fi connection. Where you are, physically, makes no difference to the quality of work that you do, and CSG knows that all of its team members have a life outside of work. If that life, at times, necessitates a morning spent at an employee’s home office, we’re all for it. Similarly, if an employee is relocating to a new city either permanently or semi-permanently, CSG will work with that employee to establish an arrangement that works for all, including, in some cases, leasing new office space.
- Team Member Engagement: CSG operates as a highly inclusive and engaged environment. CSG manages its growth through a Business Process Optimization system where processes and implementation of those processes are driven by cross-functional teams that meet regularly. Additionally, CSG team members participate in Employee Committees: Fun, Wellness and Philanthropy. The goals for each vary, but the over arching intention is to proactively engage team members to ensure that CSG continues to be a great place to work.
- Feedback and Performance Optimization: CSG values and promotes continuous professional and personal growth, and encourages team members’ ongoing feedback and contribution. To facilitate these values, CSG has implemented the 15Five platform, which empowers team members to provide feedback, celebrate their wins, and express their challenges and opportunities on a weekly basis. Additionally, CSG uses Small Improvements as a platform for coordinating semi-annual and ongoing performance optimization for all team members. CSG maintains an ongoing survey page where team members can express concerns and ideas anonymously.
- Talent Enhancement: As a complement to performance optimization, CSG is in the process of rolling out CSGU, which provides intensive training and development around the four pillars of skills and knowledge to be a fulfilled contributor at CSG, including Tools and Tech, Strategies and Tactics, Professional Advancement, and Industry Expertise. CSG cultivates ongoing professional—and personal—growth and engagement by offering opportunities, including monthly trainings and semi-annual professional development sessions, throughout the year. Subscriptions to industry tools and publications, a team-wide mentorship program called PR Pals, and conference and tradeshow attendance are made available to all team members, and CSG highly encourages all team members to utilize them as they see fit.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 3% of an employee's salary||73% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- Free beverages during the day
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (100% use it)
- Compressed work weeks
- Telecommute option (50% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||30 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||20 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|20 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
|30 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Communications Strategy Group for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Curiosity and Respect. This is the answer we provide when people ask what we look for in new Communications Strategy Group (CSG®) team members. Curiosity is the engine that drives a solid work ethic and an eagerness to learn, explore and grow. It is the catalyst for the imaginative and creative thinking needed to solve problems and capitalize on opportunities. Respect is what makes teams and cultures work. When team members start with respect, then the right decisions come easily. It is what enables freedom and flexibility in the workplace and creates a dynamic environment that isn’t managed, but collaboratively built.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Be thoughtful and purposeful. It is critical that prospective team members demonstrate a passion for CSG and the kind of work they will be pursuing at CSG. Additionally, they need to provide insight into how they think they will contribute to both CSG and its clients. These attributes can be demonstrated through the essay required for application, the 4 touch point interview process, the writing assignment and certainly by writing a thank you note after interviews. We love to find people that can demonstrate they go above and beyond what has been assigned to them. Finally, one of the quotes we love to hear, particularly from younger prospective team members, is “I just want to learn and grow.”
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
As a rapidly growing organization with significant expansion plans, CSG is continuously seeking extraordinary talent from entry level to senior leadership. We’re open to meeting with any professional that demonstrates an intense interest in CSG and maintain a database of those individuals as the organization identifies hiring needs.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates can start by reviewing CSG’s website, www.csg-pr.com. Additionally, they can review CSG’s social media channels for more information and insight into how we think as an organization.
| 8 Job openings forecast for coming year|| -6% Job Growth|
| 60 Average applicants per opening|| 600 Applications received|
| 10 Positions filled in past year|| 1% New hires by employee referrals|
| 2 New positions created|| 5 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 1 New graduates hired|