What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I can be myself around here.
What They Do
We asked Ciena Corporation to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Ciena Corporation is a US-Headquartered global supplier of telecommunications networking equipment, software and services that support the delivery and transport of voice, video and data service. With nearly 25 years of industry leadership, we support more than 1,300 of the world’s largest, most reliable networks.
About this Company
| Website: www.ciena.com|| Industry: Telecommunications|
| US Headquarters: Hanover, Maryland|| US Sites: 11|
| Major Locations: San Jose, California; Research Triangle Park, North Carolina; Petaluma, California; Miami, Florida; Atlanta, Georgia|| US Employees: 1,821|
| US Revenues: $2,400 million|| Employees Worldwide: 5,533|
| Corporate Structure: Public|| Stock Symbol: CIEN|
| Founded: 1992|
Perks and Programs
We asked Ciena Corporation to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Global Family Leave: Ciena offers a global family leave program which provides 18 weeks fully paid, and helps mothers return to work by allowing a reduced working week, with full pay for up to 6 months. Fathers receive 4 weeks paid leave, helping both parents to enjoy bonding time with their newborn. For those who are adopting, 4 weeks paid leave are provided any time during first 18 weeks from date of adoption. For Carers, 2 weeks of paid leave (per year) are provided to help look after a spouse, child or parent who has serious health conditions. Where the statutory provisions exceed Ciena’s global family leave program, Ciena’s global family policy is integrated with statutory requirements.
- Flexible Working: Ciena offers three classifications of flexible workers to provide the most ease for our employees. Office workers are those individuals who work permanently from a Ciena office and will work from home occasionally 2-3 times per month. A Flexible worker is an office based employee who works from home on a regular and scheduled basis (typically 1 to 3 days per week). Most Ciena employees fall into this category. Lastly, an employee can be classified as a Remote Worker if they work full-time from home and may come into the office 2-3 times a month for meetings.
- Vectors Annual Summit: Each year over the period of a month, we invite our customers into our R&D Labs in Ottawa to talk directly to our engineers and developers. This event allows our valued customers to meet face-to-face with the men and women who painstakingly design and develop the very products that fuel their networks. Select engineers, salespeople and support staff are offered the opportunity to attend this event.
- Ciena Cares: CienaCares is a charitable giving program with the goal to drive employee engagement in the community with the aim of helping and giving back. Ciena employees can nominate and suggest a charity for Ciena to co-sponsor and portion of the funds collected are matched.
- Women@Ciena: As part of Women@Ciena we have a Global Women’s Council which is comprised of women and men from across the organization – all levels, regions and disciplines – to ensure a genuine cross-section of talent and insights. The council’s aim is to grow the company’s diversity program globally, with local action in each of the regions in which we operate.
It involves the creation of smaller, regional groups to meet once a quarter as a ‘diversity team’ to share activities and develop new best practices as a grassroots program. The Global Women’s Council leaders initiate a local projects or initiatives every quarter as well as connect, communicate and participate with the other regional councils as a wider, global team.
- Distinguished Engineer Awards: Our program is intended to celebrate and recognize outstanding technical contributors within Ciena and, over time, build a network of our most valued, esteemed and influential experts. Consistent with other programs across our industry, we will confer two designations: Ciena Fellow and Ciena Distinguished Engineer. Both designations are highly prestigious lifetime honors that recognize employees for their exceptional technical contributions, exemplary leadership behaviors, and significant technical influence.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|95% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 95% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| 95% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|| 24 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Pre-tax savings account
- Restricted stock units to employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
- Fitness classes
- Personal travel service
- Massage therapy
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (75% use it)
- Telecommute option (50% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|90 days Job-protected maternity leave||90 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|90 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||20 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|20 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||20 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$10,000 Adoption benefit||20 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
|20 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- On-site or near-site backup childcare center
- Elder care resources
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Complete biometric screening
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|
- Formal programs support professional development for: Women
- 3 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Ciena Corporation for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We take our culture and values seriously and identify and select candidates based on these criteria. Primarily we are looking for openness, honesty and a strong sense of team. Much of our work is very matrixed so having that as a background skill is a plus. Due to this matrixed format many times employees are expected to be able to work with minimum guidance and work on teams that cross multiple time-zones and geographies. Technical skills are also highly valued at Ciena so we make sure that our candidates are experts in their fields..
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
First and foremost, "Get" us. We believe our history and way-of-working make us unique from many other companies. Prospective hires get a peek into this at the beginning of the talent acquisition process and this continues throughout the interviews and onboarding. Our recruiters are looking for new ideas, outside the box thinking and the evident ability to work in a team, as many of our projects fall into that category
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Being an optical networking company we are always in the hunt for optical engineers as well as general engineering (software and hardware) for our R&D function.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Ciena loves to stay connected so check out our Linked In, Facebook, Instagram pages and learn more. Hear from our senior executives and employee and client stores on Ciena.com. Most importantly we are real people so, strike up a conversation with a recruiter once you see a position that is a good fit.
| 800 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 10% Job Growth|
| 51 Average applicants per opening|| 60,000 Applications received|
| 913 Positions filled in past year|| 29% New hires by employee referrals|
| 481 New positions created|| 162 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 63 New graduates hired|
| 7% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|