Error

As at most health care companies, employees at Carolinas HealthCare System like what they do because they're helping others. 

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 1387 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.57. It was published on Nov 14, 2014. 68238 Visitors

What You Should Know

As at most healthcare companies, employees at Carolinas HealthCare System (CHS) like what they do because they’re helping others. They do that through the care they provide at CHS’ hospitals, nursing homes and other facilities. But people here also appreciate giving back to the community in other ways, whether they’re collecting canned food or volunteering time — some 57,000 hours in 2013 — to nonprofits. Known among employees for being a friendly place that recognizes good work, CHS also gets high marks for a wellness program that encourages healthy living. CHS is all about helping others, so those with a passion for that will shine here. “This is without a doubt one of the top hospital systems in the country,” says one employee. “I am so proud to tell friends and family who I work for.”

WHAT THEY DO

CHS provides healthcare and wellness programs in nursing homes, academic medical centers, home health agencies and hospices in North and South Carolina. 

Website: www.carolinashealthcare.org US Headquarters: Charlotte, North Carolina
US Sites: 900 Major Locations: Charlotte, North Carolina; Concord, North Carolina; Monroe, North Carolina; Pineville, North Carolina; Lincolnton, North Carolina
US Employees: 32000 US revenues: $4.4 billion
Industry: Health Care Founded: 1940
 

Carolinas HealthCare System has been awarded:

Best Workplaces in Heath Care 2015 (ranked 14)


Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At CHS, 81 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 13 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

CHS teammates provide a variety of healthcare services. The company has approximately 32,000 teammates in their Primary Care Enterprise; they operate 900 locations of care throughout their Total Enterprise (Primary and Managed Enterprises).

Most employees (90 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and the majority (84 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For most employees (90 percent), their work at CHS is more than just a job - it provides special meaning.

At CHS, 83 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at CHS, 69 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 7 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $1,500
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 32 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 38 hours
  • CHS says it is committed to providing personal and professional growth opportunities for employees at every stage of their career. Some of its employee development initiatives include PeopleLink@CHS, a fully-integrated talent management suite. There's also a learning and organizational development department within human resources, which provides onboarding, classes, leadership development, coaching, consulting and project management.
I am constantly motivated and challenged by management to accomplish my goals as well as reach for new goals.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At CHS, 80 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 15 percent sometimes benefit from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

CHS employees describe a positive work environment. A large majority (93 percent) say it's consistently friendly. Eight out of 10 or more also say it's a cooperative place where people feel comfortable being themselves and where there's a family or team feeling. In fact, a majority of employees (77 percent) actually look forward to coming to work.

Fun and Celebrations

  • CHS celebrates as a team in numerous ways. With Celebrating Service, teammates who have reached five-year milestones are recognized for their years of service and dedication to the company. There are also various events held at individual CHS locations, such as picnics, holiday decorating contests, ice cream socials, birthday parties, wedding and baby showers, retirement celebrations and team-building exercises at the whitewater and ropes courses. 

Caring and Support

  • CHS provides an employee assistance program, which is available 24/7. The program provides free, confidential counseling to help people deal with a variety of difficult issues, including marital conflicts, financial problems, job stress, emotional difficulties, alcohol/drug problems, legal concerns and parenting issues. 
People celebrate special events around here.
87%
 
The friendly atmosphere makes this office a great place to work.

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At CHS, 73 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 18 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 91 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

CHS values its people and invests in us in many ways: excellent benefits, LiveWell programs, reward and recognition opportunities, learning and organizational development and engagement opportunities.

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

$35,956 Average salary and additional cash compensation for RN I/Bedside $253,792 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Physician - MD
50% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution 83% Company-paid health coverage for employees
73% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 16 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive healthcare coverage

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Free beverages during the day
  • Discount ticket sales on sporting events
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Employee run vegetable gardens
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Walking trails

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

25 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment 60 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Flexible schedule (2% use it)
  • Compressed workweeks (1% use it)
  • Elder care resources
  • Telecommute option (3% use it)
  • Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
87%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
80%
 
This organization is a great place to work because it allows for work-life balance through remote days and flex days.

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments

ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS

  • Breast cancer screening
  • Flu shots
  • Medicare facility
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Fitness center

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At CHS, 87 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 10 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

CHS prides itself on operating a comprehensive system that provides healthcare and related services, including education and research opportunities. The nonprofit is a $8.4 billion organization that operates more than 40 hospitals with 7,400 licensed beds and over 11 million unique patient encounters across the total enterprise.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
92%
 
People make this organization a great place to work. I am proud to work for CHS and feel empowered to do my job.

Supporting the Community

  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $4,920,285
  • By the very nature of its work — healthcare — CHS directly impacts the community. The organization also takes part in charitable projects, doing fundraising activities and supporting the Children's Miracle Network, United Way and the Arts & Science Council. CHS also organizes an annual food drive, runs an international medical outreach program and takes part in other initiatives including Heart of a Champion, a free, sports-specific health screening and educational program for high school athletes. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
94%
 
The one thing which makes this organization a great place to work is the pride in which it holds in the community. At any time you can see the logo all over the city, sponsoring an activity or team, and playing a big part in the healthcare aspects in the community. The organization has a big impact on the community’s health and wellness. I think if our goal is to help people with their healthcare and their wellness, then we must be proud of where we work and it must be a great place to work.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At CHS, 76 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 17 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 93 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

More than eight out of 10 surveyed employees say management makes its expectations clear. Most employees (79 percent) also feel that management keeps them informed about important issues and changes. Eight out of 10 staff members say management is approachable and easy to talk with. To that end, 76 percent feel that managers genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas, and 74 percent say they can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer. 

This organization strives hard to communicate important information to all employees and teammates. It helps to keep a cohesive feel amongst an organization so large.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At CHS, 76 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 16 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 92 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

CHS employees take pride in the patient-centric work they do and widely appreciate the challenges their leaders encourage at the company. Employees also think highly of their management team, finding managers ethical, skilled, reliable and caring, according to their survey scores. Most staff members (86 percent) say management is honest and ethical in its business practices. Equally as many say managers are competent at running CHS. Adding to that, a close 81 percent say management has a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there, and 78 percent say managers assign and coordinate people well. Speaking to the aspect of reliability, three-quarters of employees say management's actions match its words, and slightly more (76 percent) say managers deliver on their promises. In terms of caring for staff, 77 percent report management shows a sincere interest in them as people, not just as employees. Eighty-two percent also believe management would only lay people off as a last resort, evidencing ethics and employee-confidence in job security.

I have a wonderful boss who is fair, plays no favorites and stays on top of things. We have a great team.

Great Perks and Programs

  • CHS Has Talent!: The program aims to recognize, reward and promote employee talents. In the spring, talented team members audition to compete in the finale talent show. There, both colleagues and families come to cheer people on as they share their gifts of poetry-reading, singing, dancing, playing musical instruments and more. Contestants receive cash prizes for participating.
  • CHS LiveWELL: The company's wellness initiative aims to create an environment for all team members to "work meaningfully, eat healthy, learn continuously and live more fully." It includes an in-house telephonic health-coaching program, free biometrics at onsite care clinics, a weight management program and more.
  • Healthy Food Environment: CHS aims to create a healthy food environment by offering online menus with nutrient calculations, nutritional kiosks, No Fried Food Days, a healthy beverage pledge and an online toolkit of menus and weight-management resources.
  • OneCarolinas: OneCarolinas is a free mobile app exclusively for CHS employees. Its features include: Paycheck and PTO, where employees can access basic information about their current and recent paychecks; eXtras, a mobile version of the company's discount program; Map It, which people can use to search for CHS facility locations; and Classifieds, where people can search through dozens of offers and "want to buy" posts from teammates. 
  • Teammate Emergency Care Fund: The Teammate Emergency Care Fund was established to provide staff members with financial assistance when they have suffered a hardship caused by catastrophic events beyond their control. The fund assists teammates with meeting basic needs when all other resources have been exhausted. A catastrophic event is defined as a fire, natural disaster, accident, disease or illness. 
  • eXtras Discount Program:  An employee only program that offers discounts to hundreds of businesses in the area, restaurants, hair salons, apartments, workout studios, etc.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from CHS employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"Integrity goes a long way within this company. We all believe in the mission statement and commit our time, talent and skills to ensuring that we live up to it. If you are honest about who and what you are and your intentions as this company is we will continue to grow in our communities and be a force in this country."

"What makes it a great place to work is the family atmosphere and the satisfaction of enhancing the patient experience!"

"I have always felt that CHS backs me up as an employee and a professional. I would and do recommend any CHS facility to my family and friends for their healthcare needs."

"Our organization is very focused on the work-life balance.They are dedicated to providing incentives to improving the overall health and wellness of their employees. Employees are valued for their opinions and feedback."

"What makes it a great place to work is the ability to have time off when needed either scheduled or unscheduled."

"What makes it a great place to work are the opportunities for advancement and professional growth. I believe the classes offered to new leaders are great."

"We do work as a team here at this office. A lot of offices I've worked at over the years, there is friction between front office and back office staff but it's not that way here. I feel as close to the people I work with as I do to a lot of my family. They are supportive in the work environment as well as the non-work environment. My co-workers and the providers genuinely care about each other."

"There is a sense of community. We work with caring people in our department and in our organization. We work with smart and ethical people who believe in doing the right thing every time."

"CHS is a fun place to work. People are passionate about their work and making CHS a national leader in healthcare. We all work toward the same goal and corporate mission. I am especially impressed with the professionalism and respect that transcends all personal interactions between employees."

"Most employees here are very driven by their passion to take care of those around them. This creates a warm and compassionate environment for both the patients and colleagues."

"What makes it a great place to work is the fact that you feel like part of a large, successful team. Everyone here is extremely friendly and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome and at home."

"Opportunities for advancement are available if you are able to network well. The benefits are comparable to other companies of our size. CHS onsite clinics have been a great addition for teammates."

How to Get Hired

We asked CHS for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

We look for employees who represent our core values of caring, commitment, integrity and teamwork. Prospective candidates who have a stable work history are a great example of someone who has a high level of commitment. Candidates who share characteristics of our teammates or are referred by a high-performing teammate are top for consideration. Whether a candidate is interviewing for a position at the bedside or in an important supporting role, it is essential they approach work from a caring, patient-centered perspective. When working in healthcare, integrity is paramount, therefore, we ask for candidates to discuss and demonstrate integrity in all peer interviews. Anyone who can demonstrate these characteristics on a resume and give specific examples in face-to-face meetings tends to be the best fit for our organization. Candidates with resumes that exhibit these core values through strong qualifications, customer service experience and community involvement are strongly considered.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Someone with consistently high attention to detail is sure to grab our attention. It is discouraging to have a candidate claim one thing (detail-oriented) and deliver another (misspellings and typos). A candidate should be very polished in their overall presentation. Completing the entire online application and proofreading their resume shows a candidate is vested in their career and serious about the position for which they are applying. As a not-for-profit healthcare organization with emphasis on continuous performance improvement and system-wide annual performance reviews, we look for candidates who can address process improvement initiatives from previous positions and express appreciation for yearly performance reviews. CHS gives more than $1 billion in community benefits to our communities. Candidates are asked about their approach to and experience with community giving. All new teammates experience a community giving activity at New Teammate Orientation to demonstrate, from day one, our commitment to community and customer service.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

Because we truly look for the best fit for our teams and our culture, our process can be long. We are purposeful and intentional in our decision making and want to ensure we are bringing on the right person for our team. If we let the applicants know this detail in the beginning, we are able to correctly set their expectations. We believe our process and open communication help ensure a good experience during the interview process, and provide the talent acquisition consultant and the hiring manager with appropriate feedback for the candidate. A comprehensive, multi-step interview process is used in the hiring process for many candidates. This process includes interviews with: manager(s), peer groups, in-depth background and reference checks, calls to references and a pre-employment health screening.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

Healthcare is changing – rapidly. More and more care is provided in the home or in outpatient and ancillary settings. Over the course of the next months, we will focus considerable efforts on in-home care through our Healthy @ Home division. These individuals will provide in-home nursing and physical therapy care. The Dickson Advanced Analytics (DA2) group was created in 2012 to help Carolinas HealthCare System become a leader in using healthcare analytics for population health management and predictive modeling. DA2 has experienced a surge in growth this year. We continue to hire people with strong analytical backgrounds. Another primary area of focus for our talent acquisition consultants will be hiring 150 advanced clinical practitioners. These team members will be instrumental in helping transform healthcare as we extend a physician’s reach, and deliver more care in non-traditional hospital settings.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

The Carolinas HealthCare System website is a great place to begin. It includes: open positions; featured jobs based on current primary needs or growth projects; job fair and interview events; an interactive map showing candidates where our positions will be located (given our size and complexity, location can be an important factor when applying for a position); online talent communities, which email a candidate when specific types of positions post; total rewards information; cultural overview; diversity and inclusion initiatives; awards and community partnerships and social matcher – connecting candidates with social networking sites. Candidates may call our general HR number to review the process. All calls are returned within 24 hours. If applicants experience trouble navigating our system, they may visit one of seven HR offices for help completing online applications. We invite all candidates to access our website at www.carolinashealthcare.org/careers.

Hiring Outlook

1%Job Growth 29Average number of applicants per opening
9%Total voluntary turnover in past year 131765Applicants in past year
4486Openings in past year 6%New hires by employee referrals

Follow Carolinas HealthCare System

Related Companies