What Employees Say
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
Management is competent at running the business.
What They Do
We asked Burwood Group, Inc to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Burwood Group, Inc. is an IT consulting and integration firm. We help forward-thinking leaders design, use, and manage technology to transform their business and improve outcomes. Our services in consulting, technology, and operations are rooted in business alignment and technical expertise in cloud, automation, security, and collaboration.
About this Company
| Website: www.burwood.com|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois, 60606|| US Sites: 6|
| Major Locations: Normal, Illinois; Peoria, Illinois; Davenport, Iowa; San Diego, California; Irvine, California|| US Employees: 203|
| US Revenues: $124.0 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $124.0 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1997|
Perks and Programs
We asked Burwood Group, Inc to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Exceptional Benefits Package: Burwood covers a large portion of healthcare premiums for our employees and their families. In addition, we pay 100% for Short and Long Term Disability and also offer Basic Life Insurance coverage at no cost to the employee. Our exceptional benefits package also includes:
• Health, dental and vision insurance
• Life and accident insurance
• Discounted gym membership
• Flexible spending accounts for pre-tax healthcare and transit/parking expenses
• Access to financial planning expertise
- ESOP: An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) provides an opportunity for Burwood’s founders to reward employees for their contributions to Burwood's ongoing growth and success. Burwood believes our employees are our greatest asset, and by offering our current and future employees ownership in the company we will continue to retain and attract the best talent. Once employees reach one year of service, or 1000 hours, they are allocated Burwood stocks that continue to grow as the company grows.
- Open Paid Time Off Policy: Burwood has been on an Open PTO policy for 4 years now, allowing exempt employees to take advantage of a flexible time off program. Instead of the accrual vacation policy, this open vacation policy gives more freedom and empowerment to the employee and their schedule. This policy allows employees to take vacation and sick time when they require it for up to three consecutive weeks.
- Burwood's Training Initative: Burwood invests heavily in our people as we truly believe they are the secret to our success. Each year, a significant training budget is crafted to ensure employees have the knowledge, skills, and resources to excel. Consultants who apply to our program may be eligible for a $10K bonus for obtaining their CCIE. One of our most valuable training initiatives is the Associate Program, which is a six month apprenticeship designed to prepare our new Associate Consultants for the consulting world. The Associate Program aids in the development of technical skills that map to Burwood’s practice areas, as well as the development of soft-skills required to be a well-rounded consultant.
- Flexible Work Environment: At Burwood, we support our employees’ ability to be productive from anywhere, including their homes. We provide home internet routers, cell phone reimbursement plan for up to $75/month and IP (Internet Protocol) phones, laptop computers, VPN access to Burwood applications and network resources, webmail, and Internet Messaging capability. Burwood also supports flexible work schedules and office space. Whether starting early, working late, or working weekends (as long as people put in their hours and perform high quality work), we continue to exceed client expectations and keep their needs as the first priority. Employees have the ability to work from home, in the office, or at a client location.
- Energizing Retreats and Events: Burwood’s annual retreats are a terrific opportunity for employees to connect with leaders and colleagues through a combination of structured meetings, team building, and social time. At retreats, key themes/topics are presented by leadership, peers, and outside speakers. In 2018, Burwood added a Sales Kick Off to bring the sales team together to strategize 2018 Go-To-Market indicatives.
Equally important are the social aspects of these events. At the end of the meetings, employees are able to spend time with their team members as well as Burwood’s leadership team. We feel that creating these interactions greatly improves communication of strategy and vision by encouraging shared ownership. Destinations include Cabo and Puerto Morales, Mexico, West Palm Beach, FL, Las Vegas, and Chicago and other IL locations. Burwood also hosts social events throughout the year including holiday parties, boating and sporting events, picnics, golf outings, game nights, and happy hours.
- MVP Programs: At Burwood we work hard to make sure exemplary employees know much their hard work is appreciated. When employees exceed their job expectations, we encourages their managers, team members, and peers to nominate them for a Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award. Any employee can nominate an MVP, and employees can win an unlimited amount of times in any given year. MVP awards are announced by the CEO at our company-wide meetings. In addition to the verbal recognition, MVP winners also receive an American Express gift card.
In addition to the MVPs, we also honor our Presidents Club and Achievers Club. The Presidents Club celebrates our Sales team members who achieve sales excellence throughout the year. Our Achievers Club recognizes employees who have exceptional performance through innovation, generated revenue, excellence, and social media presence.
- 401k Match: Burwood offers a 401(k) and a Roth 401(k) Plan through Vanguard to encourage employees to save for retirement through payroll deductions. Burwood has a discretionary match and contributes up to 3% of base salary. The match is made in one lump sum at end of year.
- Open Door Policy: Burwood prides itself on having an open door policy. At any time, employees are invited to provide suggestions, constructive criticism, and ideas to senior leadership and they actively seek out employees to gain their feedback.
- Wellness Initiatives: Over the last couple of years, Burwood has made a strong effort to form its wellness initiative which incorporates a variety of challenges and educational activities. Some of these include the Whole Life Challenge, Hydration Challenge, Walking Challenge, Sleep Challenge and Yoga Lunch & Learns. Some employees have also formed teams for more intensive challenges such as the Bourbon Chase and Tough Mudder. To further support these activities, monthly wellness communications are distributed for more education on various health related topics.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $113,942 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Consultant|| 3% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 3% of salary|
|80% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 30% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Vacation Paid time off|| Unlimited Sick Paid time off|
| Unlimited Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||15 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|50 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|15 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||15 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)||15 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
Community and Environmental Impact
| $15,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Yes Sustainable commuting program|
| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Burwood Group, Inc for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We look for candidates who want to be a team player and have an “above and beyond” attitude. We hire employees who strive for personal growth in an environment where individuals can make a big impact and influence the success of the company.
We strive to foster a friendly culture of cohesiveness and accountability by individuals who instill the trust that is necessary to work well with both co-workers and clients.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We're always looking to hire employees who strive for personal growth in an environment where individuals can make a big impact and influence the success of our company. Burwood's goal is to create a work environment that encourages teamwork and success through the hiring of bright, well-rounded individuals. If you are a smart and driven individual who is looking to advance your career within Information Technology, you may be a good fit for our team!
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Burwood is always looking for the best and brightest talent! We are heavily focused on hiring for our sales team and we are expanding in several new geographies. Additionally, we are hiring top technical talent in each of our practice areas and will be continuing to recruit for key corporate positions.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
There are a number a ways prospective employees can apply to our openings. We have our job postings listed on our careers page at https://www.burwood.com/careers as well as LinkedIn. They can also visit our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages to get more real time posts about what Burwood is all about. In addition, we have a referral bonus program in place so if any prospective candidate is connected to a current employee, they can reach out and inquire about our open roles.
| 50 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 18% Job Growth|
| 97 Average applicants per opening|| 7,309 Total job applicants|
| 26% New hires by employee referrals|| 45% Openings filled by current employees|
| 5 Recent graduates hired|| 14% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|