What Employees Say
Management is approachable, easy to talk with.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
I am treated as a full member here regardless of my position.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
What They Do
We asked Burwood Group, Inc to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Burwood Group is an IT consulting firm, systems integrator, and managed services provider. We use technology to enhance customer loyalty, increase profitability, and mitigate risk. Our consultants provide technical expertise in collaboration, IT automation, security, and as-a-service offerings.
About this Company
| Website: www.burwood.com|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois, 60606|| US Sites: 6|
| Major Locations: Normal, Illinois; Peoria, Illinois; Davenport, Iowa; San Diego, California; Irvine, California|| US Employees: 199|
| US Revenues: $113.2 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $113.2 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1997|
Perks and Programs
We asked Burwood Group, Inc to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Healthcare Benefits and Wellness Initiatives: Burwood covers a large part of the healthcare (medical and dental) premiums for the individual with some additional paid coverage for dependents. Burwood also provides eligible employees with Short and Long Term Disability and Basic Life Insurance coverage at no cost. In addition to these healthcare benefits, Burwood has also formed its wellness initiative, Burwood 360, which incorporates activities such as the Hydration Challenge, Walking Challenge, Sleep Challenge and Yoga Lunch & Learns. To further support these activities, monthly wellness communications are distributed for more education on various health related topics.
- ESOP: An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) provides an opportunity for Burwood’s founders to reward employees for their contributions to Burwood's ongoing growth and success. Burwood believes our employees are our greatest asset, and by offering our current and future employees ownership in the company we will continue to retain and attract the best talent. Once employees reach one year of service, or 1000 hours, they are allocated Burwood stocks that continue to grow as the company grows.
- Open Paid Time Off Policy: At the start of 2014, Burwood began allowing exempt and non-exempt salaried employees to take advantage of an Open Vacation Policy. Instead of the accrual vacation policy, this open vacation policy gives more freedom and empowerment to the employee and their schedule. This policy allows employees to take vacation and sick time when they require it for up to three consecutive weeks.
- Burwood's Training Initative: Burwood invests heavily in our people as we truly believe they are the secret to our success. Each year, a significant training budget is crafted to ensure employees have the knowledge, skills, and resources to excel. Consultants who apply to our program may be eligible for a $10K bonus for obtaining their CCIE. One of our most valuable training initiatives is the Associate Program, which is a six month apprenticeship designed to prepare our new Associate Consultants for the consulting world. The Associate Program aids in the development of technical skills that map to Burwood’s practice areas, as well as the development of soft-skills required to be a well-rounded consultant.
- Flexible Work Environment: At Burwood, we support our employees’ ability to be productive from anywhere, including their homes. We provide home internet routers, cell phone reimbursement plan for up to $75/month, and IP (Internet Protocol) phones, laptop computers, VPN access to Burwood applications and network resources, webmail, and Internet Messaging capability. Burwood also supports flexible work schedules and office space. Whether starting early, working late, or working weekends, as long as people put in their hours and get their work done with high quality and we continue to exceed client expectations and keep their needs as the first priority. Employees have the ability to work from home, in the office, or at a client location.
- Energizing Retreats and Events: Burwood’s annual retreats are a terrific opportunity for employees to connect with leaders and colleagues through a combination of structured meetings, team building, and social time. At retreats, key themes/topics are presented by leadership peers, and outside speakers. Equally important are the social aspects of the treat, so for the remainder of the retreat, employees are able to spend time with their team members as well as Burwood’s leadership team. We feel that creating these interactions greatly improves communication of strategy and vision by encouraging shared ownership. Destinations include Cabo and Puerto Morales, Mexico, West Palm Beach, FL and Chicago and other IL locations. Burwood also hosts social events throughout the year including holiday parties, boating and sporting events, picnics, office game nights, golf outings, and happy hours.
- MVP Program: At Burwood we work hard to make sure exemplary employees know much their hard work is appreciated. When employees go exceed their job expectations, we encourages their managers, team members, and peers to nominate them for a Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award. Any employee can nominate an MVP, and employees can win an unlimited amount of times in any given year. MVP awards are announced by the Regional Vice President on a monthly basis, at our region-wide meetings. In addition to the verbal recognition, MVP winners also receive an American Express gift card.
- 401k Match: Burwood offers a 401(k) and a Roth 401(k) Plan through Vanguard to encourage employees to save for retirement through payroll deductions. Burwood has a discretionary match and contributes up to 3% of base salary. The match is made in one lump sum at end of year.
- Commission Sharing Program: Burwood has a commission sharing program that rewards individuals who go above and beyond the normal pre-sales activities expected of consultants. It has rewarded many individuals with extra compensation each month for doing great work.
- Open Door Policy: Burwood prides itself on having an open door policy. At any time, employees are invited to provide suggestions, constructive criticism, and ideas to senior leadership and they actively seek out employees to gain their feedback.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $116,880 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Consultant|| 3% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 3% of salary|
|80% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 30% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| Unlimited Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||15 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|50 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|15 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||15 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)||15 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
Community and Environmental Impact
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Burwood Group, Inc for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We look for candidates who want to be a team player and have an “above and beyond” attitude. We hire employees who strive for personal growth in an environment where individuals can make a big impact and influence the success of the company.
We strive to foster a friendly culture of cohesiveness and accountability by individuals who instill the trust that is necessary to work well with both co-workers and clients.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We're always looking to hire employees who strive for personal growth in an environment where individuals can make a big impact and influence the success of our company. Burwood's goal is to create a work environment that encourages teamwork and success through the hiring of bright, well-rounded individuals. If you are a smart and driven individual who is looking to advance your technology career, you may be a good fit for our team! We encourage you to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
As a rapidly expanding company, we are consistently focused on seeking out the best sales and consulting talent in the technology industry. Sales candidates in our growing markets and strong engineering candidates are always welcome to apply.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
There are a number a ways prospective employees can apply to our openings. We have our job postings listed on our careers page at https://www.burwood.com/about/careers as well as LinkedIn. To find our more about Burwood Group, we encourage candidates to peruse our website and visit our Twitter and Facebook company pages to see what our teams are up to in real time.
| 75 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 24% Job Growth|
| 46 Average applicants per opening|| 4,572 Total job applicants|
| 80% New hires by employee referrals|| 45% Openings filled by current employees|
| 10 Recent graduates hired|| 7% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|