We believe all lives have equal value. We work to create a world where every person has the opportunitiy to live a healthy, productive life.
How to Get Hired
We asked Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
In order to create the impact we want to see in the world, our work is anchored by our values: Optimism, Collaboration, Rigor, and Innovation. Through a robust assessment process, we identify candidates from a diverse talent pool who demonstrate our desired cultural behaviors:
Show Respect: approach relationships with inclusion, kindness, curiosity, humility.
Offer Trust: enable collaboration, risk-taking, empowerment, growth, accountability.
Be Transparent: clarify roles and expectations and communication decisions.
Create energy: engage each other in the joyful, continuous pursuit of becoming our best, authentic selves.
Our agreements are not just words on paper but actions that reinforce each other. We hold ourselves and each other accountable, and learn and grow from our experiences. Thus, we have an uncompromising focus on hiring for desired culture. We seek individuals who have a clearly articulated desire and commitment of shared accountability to achieving our vision and desired culture.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We thrive when we work with great people and who better than a current employee or alumni to make a recommendation on your behalf. While we accept referrals of all types in all of our offices around the world, referrals for open, posted roles is the best way to showcase your experience and raise awareness to your interest in the foundation.
Join our Talent Networks by following us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Twitter and Facebook to stay abreast of program updates, learn about positions we are hiring for and upcoming alumni events.
We cannot do this work alone, thus, we also encourage individuals with a passion for the work we do to also look at our grantee organizations for opportunities to contribute their skills and talents. Check out our website for Grantee Profiles and resources on working in Philanthropy.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We believe creating the culture we need for the impact we want starts with hiring and retaining talent with the widest diversity of thought, experience and backgrounds. Our focus is:
- Talent Plans - creating actionable plans with an eye on mitigating bias, growing inclusive leaders and creating a culture of belonging.
- Global Workforce Planning - in addition to finding global talent externally for our regional offices, we are also making progress in creating global opportunities for existing employees.
- Parental Leave Backfills – in support of our 52-week paid parental leave program, continuing to provide meaningful development rotational opportunities for employees (34 internal moves to-date) as well as to leverage the expertise of alumni (4 returns to-date).
- Interns & Fellows – continuing to build on the success of these programs to provide exposure to career opportunities in the philanthropic sector while developing future leaders and diverse candidate pipelines for future hiring needs
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
We seek talent with the right mix of experience, discipline, and humility needed to help us accomplish our goals. At the foundation, our people address the most challenging inequities, in our region, our country, and the world, contributing their best on behalf of our global effort. It is work that not only relies upon candidates with solid educations and related experience, but also a rare dedication to the greater good that exceeds the importance of a specific title.
We strongly encourage you to:
- Visit www.gatesfoundation.org to understand our work, our grantees, and our partners.
- Search our listing of open positions, apply online, or check the status of applications by visiting our Careers site at www.gatesfoundation.org/jobs.
- Join our Talent Networks by following us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Twitter and Facebook.