What Employees Say
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Management is competent at running the business.
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
What They Do
We asked Barge Design Solutions, Inc to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Barge Design Solutions, formerly Barge Waggoner, Sumner and Cannon, Inc., is a professional services firm that focuses on engineering, architecture, land surveying, and planning. The firm is ranked in the top 200 in the 2017 Engineering News-Record (ENR) Top 500 Design Firms list and is proud to be 100% employee-owned.
About this Company
| Website: www.bargewaggoner.com|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Nashville, Tennessee, 37206|| US Sites: 14|
| Major Locations: Knoxville, Tennessee, 37902; Memphis, Tennessee, 38018; Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37402; Dayton, Ohio, 45342; Columbus, Georgia, 31901; Birmingham, Alabama, 35243; Dothan, Alabama, 36301; Huntsville, Alabama, 35801; Atlanta, Georgia, 30339; Houston, Texas, 77056|| US Employees: 333|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1955|
Perks and Programs
We asked Barge Design Solutions, Inc to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Our Culture: Creating a great culture is at the heart of Barge. We believe that if you create a great employee experience, employees will create a great experience for our clients and deliver high quality work. We make sure that the purpose, vision, values, and strategic initiatives were not just words on paper but are reviewed frequently through meetings, aligned with our awards programs, and monitored through metrics on our intranet. We align our processes and systems such that all our employees are aligned with our direction.
- Employee Ownership: Barge is an employee-owned company. All employees, regardless of position are encouraged to become stock owners. Barge has a very broad ownership base with over 80% of employees owning no more than 4% of stock in the company. As an employee owned firm, Barge has the opportunity to return all profits to employees via stock returns, bonuses, or profit sharing.
- Employee Camaraderie Program: The company conducts activities to foster employee camaraderie, teamwork, and feedback. Once per year, all employees and their families are invited to Nashville, TN for our Annual Stockholders' Meeting and Employee Banquet. With an average attendance over 300, this town hall meeting provides an opportunity to celebrate our success, spend time with employees in other offices, and understand how our work contributes to our purpose. In each office, organized events are held twice per year in the late summer/fall for a picnic and at the end of the year to celebrate the holidays. Families are encouraged to attend all events. Employees also organize ad hoc outings such as hiking, biking, and 5K/Marathon races.
- Onboarding Program: New hires are offered a comprehensive set of tools to learn and grow during the first few months of employment. 1) A two-day orientation is held in Nashville three times a year. Employees have the opportunity to meet new hires across the firm, hear stories from retirees, participate in meetings with executives, socialize with executives and employees, ask the CEO questions, and engage with all Business Unit Directors to learn about the different lines of business. The CEO is present at every orientation. 2) New employees are given a 90-day schedule of training and key meetings on their first day. 3)Managers conduct 30-, 60-, and 90-day performance conversations to make sure employees understand performance commitments and the company purpose, vision, and values.
- Barge Awards Program: We designed our awards program to incentivize the advancement of our purpose, vision, values, and strategic initiatives. Annually, awards are given to employees who have helped advance the company's vision and purpose. Employees who demonstrate the firm's values may be recognized by a live, daily, peer-to-peer recognition program awarded quarterly. Awards are chosen by a committee of employees. We also have opportunities for monetary bonuses: Annual Performance Bonus - based on company and individual performance, Team/Project Performance Bonus - awarded for accomplishing a big project on-time, within budget, and with high client satisfaction, Employee Referral Bonus - $1,000 net for referring an employee who is hired and successfully completes 90 days of service, Extra Effort Bonus – awarded for giving extra effort to meet project deadlines and demands.
- Wellness Program: The firm has setup programs and benefits to support employees in their physical, mental, and financial health. We have Wellness Champs across the firm that meet monthly to share best practices and streamline approaches. Partnering with Go365, employees can earn monetary incentives and rewards for healthy activities and choices in addition to a $50 monthly credit toward health insurance premiums. Onsite education and health screenings are provided as well as fitness benefits. We also provide the Dave Ramsey Smart Dollar program and financial counseling to our employees at no cost.
- Internship Program: Barge seeks out the best and brightest talent from targeted universities. We have interns working in almost all locations and all business units and on average, more than 1/3 of our student interns are offered full-time positions upon graduation. Activities are organized for interns as a cohort to facilitate networking across the organization. Our goal is to provide experiences that will benefit our interns throughout their entire career.
- Connecting You Team: The firm's Connecting You Team is a cross functional group of employees who advise HR Leaders on the pulse of the organization and provide feedback on proposed programs. The team has employees from every office and every business unit represented. This group also acts as a grassroots communication channel for corporate initiatives. The team meets monthly to discuss the employee experience strategic initiative. They are the voice of all employees for the company
- Giving Back: Barge gives back to our communities in many ways. 1)The Community Fund is an employee driven and funded donation program. Employees donate and the company matches employee donations which are distributed to organizations based on employee applications for grants. In 2016, over $45,000 was given to organizations through this fund. 2) Barge makes contributions to other charitable causes such as the victims of the Great Smoky Mountains wildfires. 3) Barge matches employee contributions to chosen universities to fund scholarships for new engineers with a focus on financial need and diverse candidates. Barge was recognized by the Nashville Business Journal as 2015 and 2016 Corporate Giving Awards honoree.
- Employee Discounts: Discount ticket sales, Discount Cellular Service, Discount Software, Discounts on Automobiles, Phased retirement, Professional Licensure Support, Free financial planning
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|70% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 50% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| 70% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|| 20 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
| $4,082 Average Tuition Reimbursement|| $5,000 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (75% use it)
- Telecommute option (5% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (25% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (59% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (Onsite Flu Shots, Onsite biometric screening, Paid Parking (can be used during off hours and events as well), Monthly Birthday Celebrations, On-Site Package/Mailing Service)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|90 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||90 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|90 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|90 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $46,100 Philanthropic donations in last year|| $35,700 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|
| Yes Recycling program|
- Talent Acquisition & Retention Lead is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked Barge Design Solutions, Inc for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
A prospective employee is a great fit for our company if they exemplify our firm's core values and bring the technical expertise needed for the job. All new hires are interviewed for cultural fit based on the CARES model (our company values), and only those who do an oustanding job on thie step are recommended for the next step of the hiring process.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Propsective employees should present themselves professionally, highlighting their technical capabilities and core values that align with Barge core values.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Our hiring plan for 2017 includes a focus on entry level engineers and student interns as well as licensed professional engineers and architects.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Apply online at www.bargewaggonerjobs.com
| 75 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 11% Job Growth|
| 18 Average applicants per opening|| 1,280 Total job applicants|
| 16% New hires by employee referrals|| 11% Openings filled by current employees|
| 7 Recent graduates hired|| 5% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|