What Employees Say
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
There is a "family" or "team" feeling here.
People care about each other here.
I feel I make a difference here.
I can be myself around here.
What They Do
We asked Avesta Communities to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are business people - temporary stewards of value creation. We leave this world without material possessions; only our impact remains. While alive, we simultaneously create, manage, and entrust to the next generation. Since 2010, we've acquired over 11,000 apartments homes and served over 27,000 residents.
About this Company
| Website: www.avesta.com|| Industry: Construction & Real Estate|
| US Headquarters: Tampa, Florida|| US Sites: 34|
| Major Locations: Tampa, Florida; Austin, Texas; Orlando, Florida; Jacksonville, Florida; W. Palm Beach, Florida; Naples, Florida; St. Petersburg, Florida; San Antonio, Texas|| US Employees: 219|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2010|
Perks and Programs
We asked Avesta Communities to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Annual Christmas Party: Our annual Christmas party and awards ceremony is more like a family reunion than your typical, stuffy, corporate gathering. We provide travel and accommodations to teammates who are recognized for giving tremendous service to our residents. Each year we anxiously anticipate surprise entertainment created by our teammates such as our Payroll Manager dancing "The Dougie," one of our Community Managers singing "Silent Night," and even our IT Director beat-boxing the NES Super Mario Brothers theme song.
- Quarterly Resident Focus Competition: Each quarter, we emphasize certain key metrics with teammates to drive exceptional resident focus and customer service. Teams "compete collaboratively" to hit community and company-wide thresholds. Winners are awarded cash and non-cash prizes, with the greatest awards given out when the company succeeds as a whole. This competition has become a defining characteristic of our operations and a fun, competitive way to unify teams behind our common obsession over excellent resident focus.
- Vendor Purchase Program and Teammate Discount: Our scale and purchase volume of common household items and renovation materials assures us low prices and fast delivery from the nation's best suppliers. Many of these items may also be needed by our teammates in their personal lives, and we believe they should enjoy the same benefits. So, we've worked with vendors to extend pricing on everything from vinyl flooring to stainless steel refrigerators to our 200+ teammates. In addition, we offer our teammates a 20% discount on their rent if they choose to live at an Avesta Community.
- Quarterly Socials Per Region: We believe the best teammates are those who have strong ties inside and outside the office, which is why each regional team is budgeted for one large region-wide social per quarter at a venue of their choosing. We know the power of community and this is just one way we instill a strong sense of community in each of our teams.
- Certified Heart-Healthy Company: We are qualified as a Fit-Friendly Worksite through the American Heart Association with a Gold Achievement status for 2016. Healthy bodies make healthy minds and happier people. That's why we push health initiatives such as standing desks, free use of an on-site gym at our Support headquarters, and also subsidize off-site gym memberships and enrollment in local and national athletic competitions, such as Tampa Bay's annual Corporate Sportsfest.
- Voices Against Brain Cancer Walk/Run: After a beloved member of the Avesta family was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma in 2014, Avesta teammates have banded together and rallied in support of a number of brain cancer causes. Most recently, more than 50 Florida teammates and their families came together for a Tampa-area walk/run to promote brain cancer awareness.
- Cristo Rey Network Student Internships: Avesta partners closely with local Cristo Rey Tampa High School, a member of a national network of schools designed to provide a world-class high school education to at-risk, low-income children across the country. Avesta has served as a key supporter of the school since the earliest stages of the project, including more than $130,000 in construction management and in-kind contributions. Avesta is pleased to currently welcome four students through the school's innovative work-study program. CEO, Dan French, and Senior Director, Monica Amster, are both honored to be board members.
- Business Training Program (BTP): The Business Training Program, or BTP, is designed to help you become the best version of yourself professionally, personally and academically. The program aggressively nurtures your desire to learn and understand business, through experience and academic literature, by exposing you to various vantage points within business and the real estate industry. We are seeking college graduates to partake in a rigorous two-year program where they are given various roles of high responsibility. We target humble, energetic, purpose-driven, team-oriented individuals who have a genuine desire to serve.
- Daily Huddles: Communication is vital. Everyday each of our teams, company-wide, meet for 15 minutes to discuss a range of topics. These topics include: challenges they are facing, training initiatives that are being rolled out, individual/team accomplishments, etc. Whether you work in Accounting or Asset Management, whether you are a Service Technician who works at Avesta Capella in Austin, TX, or a Leasing Consultant that works at Avesta Shore Club in Orlando, FL, you are meeting with your team every morning. We encourage all of our families, who live at and work for Avesta, to spend time at the dinner table with each other. We consider the Daily Huddle our version of the dinner table to spend time with our Avesta family.
- Leadership Development: We care tremendously about the development of our people. Everyone one on our team can lead. Everyone can coach. Every teammate at our company has tremendous influence on those they interact with, so we find it as our responsibility to maximize that interaction. Our Key is to vigorously develop the perfect team and help every individual achieve greatness, satisfaction and fulfillment.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary||90% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 47% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- Vehicle maintenance
- Free beverages during the day
- Car wash
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 10 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (10% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave||14 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Fitness center (at some locations)
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| $130,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- 8 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
How to Get Hired
We asked Avesta Communities for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We want people who are driven by purpose. The key, non-negotiable character trait we look for in potential teammates is whether or not the candidate has a burning desire to cheerfully serve others. Whether you are serving those you manage or serving your customers (our residents) directly, you must believe in servant leadership and have a passion for developing those around you personally and professionally.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Be real. Admit when you have missed a goal. Be honest about your weaknesses and where you can improve. Tell us what inspires you. Help us get to know who you are as a person. Explain the life lessons you have learned from those closest to you. We are very candid about our areas of improvement as a company in addition to our own individual shortcomings. We want people to be happy in the deepest sense; for the typical Avesta teammate, our commitment to our Virtues, Vision and Mission is something that should contribute to that person's happiness, inside and outside of their work environment.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
As Avesta continues to work towards ambitious short- and long-term goals, the need to hire excellent people is a constant and ever-changing reality. With opportunities in virtually every corner of the company, Avesta is always (and we mean always) looking for the industry's best service and leasing professionals. Primary markets of opportunity for us include Austin, Texas, where we've just opened up a state community management office, along with other major Texas markets.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Go to avesta.com and check us out!
| 100 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 18% Job Growth|
| 20 Average applicants per opening|| 2,400 Applications received|
| 120 Positions filled in past year|| 15% New hires by employee referrals|
| 135 New positions created|| 25 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 20 New graduates hired|