What Employees Say
I can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer.
People care about each other here.
I feel I make a difference here.
Management is competent at running the business.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
What They Do
We asked Avesta to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are business people - temporary stewards of value creation. We leave this world without material possessions; only our impact remains. While alive, we simultaneously create, manage, and entrust to the next generation. Since 2010, we've acquired over 13,000 apartment homes and served over 30,000 residents.
About this Company
| Website: www.avesta.com|| Industry: Construction & Real Estate|
| US Headquarters: Tampa, Florida, 33610|| US Sites: 43|
| Major Locations: Tampa Bay, Florida; Austin, Texas; Dallas, Texas; Jacksonville, Florida; Miami, Florida; Orlando, Florida; West Palm Beach, Florida; San Antonio, Texas|| US Employees: 287|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2010|
Perks and Programs
We asked Avesta to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- The Avesta Experience: We had an idea to create a model for our customer service called “The Avesta Experience.” So, we interviewed EVERY one of our teammates to get their ideas on customer service. We took many connecting themes that we heard from our teammates during the Avesta Experience conversations and created our own A.V.E.S.T.A. acronym. The A.V.E.S.T.A. acronym has become the framework for our customer service model. A. Approach with a smile and greet by name. V. Value each individual through active listening. E. Empathize with the person to understand their situation. S. Set specific expectations for a solution. T. Take ownership and follow through. A. Appreciate with sincerity.
- Quarterly Resident Focus Competition: Each quarter, we emphasize certain key metrics with teammates to drive exceptional resident focus and customer service. Teams "compete collaboratively" to hit community and company-wide thresholds. Winners are awarded cash and non-cash prizes, with the greatest awards given out when the company succeeds as a whole. This competition has become a defining characteristic of our operations and a fun, competitive way to unify teams behind our common obsession over excellent resident focus.
- Vendor Purchase Program and Teammate Discount: Our scale and purchase volume of common household items and renovation materials gives us low prices and fast delivery from the nation's best suppliers. Many of these items may also be needed by our teammates in their personal lives, and we believe they should enjoy the same benefits. So, we've worked with vendors to extend pricing on everything from vinyl flooring to stainless steel refrigerators to our 200+ teammates. In addition, we offer our teammates a 20% discount on their rent if they choose to live at an Avesta Community. Once an Avesta teammate hits their 5-year mark, their rent discount increases to 30%.
- Quarterly Socials Per Region: We believe the best teammates are those who have strong ties inside and outside the workplace, which is why each regional team is budgeted for one large region-wide social per quarter at a venue of their choosing. We know the power of community and this is just one way we instill a strong sense of community in each of our teams.
- The BLUEcard: Every teammate at Avesta owns a BLUEcard. The BLUEcard is a small piece of blue paper that all teammates keep on themselves at all times. The BLUEcard reminds us of our Mission, Vision, Motto, Key, our 10 Virtues, who we serve, and our A.V.E.S.T.A. acronym. It's always beneficial to have a "compass" on us at all times in the event we get off track and need to be redirected.
- Annual Christmas Party: Our annual Christmas party and awards ceremony is more like a family reunion than your typical, stuffy, corporate gathering. We provide travel and accommodations to teammates who are recognized for giving tremendous service to our residents. Each year we anxiously anticipate surprise entertainment created by our teammates such as our Payroll Manager dancing "The Dougie," one of our Community Managers singing "Silent Night," and even our IT Director beat-boxing the NES Super Mario Brothers theme song.
- Cristo Rey Network Student Internships: Avesta partners closely with local Cristo Rey Tampa High School, a member of a national network of schools designed to provide a world-class high school education to at-risk, low-income children across the country. Avesta has served as a key supporter of the school since the earliest stages of the project, including more than $120,000 in construction management and in-kind contributions. Avesta has sponsored 11 Cristo Rey students through the school's innovative work-study program. Director of Strategic Implementation, Neal Herman, serves as the President of the Cristo Rey board. Marlena Leary, Service Manager, was awarded Cristo Rey Tampa Supervisor of the Year due to her leadership provided to the Cristo Rey students.
- Business Training Program (BTP): The Business Training Program, or BTP, is designed to help teammates become the best versions of themselves professionally, personally, and academically. The program nurtures a desire to learn and understand business through experience and academic literature. BTPers are exposed to various vantage points within business and the real estate industry. We are seeking college graduates to partake in a rigorous two-year rotational program where they are given various roles of high responsibility. We target humble, hard working, purpose-driven, individuals who have a genuine desire to serve.
- Daily Huddles: Every team throughout the entire company meets for 15 minutes every morning at 9am. We do this as a reminder of WHY we work at Avesta and HOW we will inspire customer loyalty. The first part of the Huddle is guided by the BLUEcard. All Community and Support teams across the entire company discuss the same daily talking point – whether it’s our Mission, Vision, or one of our Virtues.
The Daily Huddle promotes and ensures frequent communication across the entire company, so the second part of the Huddle is focused on what is going on at the company and at a teammate's community.
Families come together each night around the dinner table. The Daily Huddle is our version of the “dinner table.”
- Leadership Development: We care tremendously about the development of our people. Everyone one on our team can lead. Everyone can coach. Every teammate at our company has tremendous influence on those they interact with, so we find it as our responsibility to maximize that interaction. Our Key is to vigorously develop the perfect team and help every individual achieve greatness, satisfaction and fulfillment.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||93% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 46% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 24 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 23 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (10% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (Onsite gym, free beverages during the day, free breakfast foods)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
Community and Environmental Impact
| $120,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women
- 12 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Avesta for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We want people who are driven by purpose. The key, non-negotiable character trait we look for in potential teammates is whether or not the candidate has a burning desire to cheerfully serve others. Whether you are serving those you manage or serving your customers (our residents) directly, you must believe in servant leadership and have a passion for developing those around you personally and professionally.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Be real. Admit when you have missed a goal. Be honest about your weaknesses and where you can improve. Tell us what inspires you. Help us get to know who you are as a person. Explain the life lessons you have learned from those closest to you. We are very candid about our areas of improvement as a company in addition to our own individual shortcomings. We want people to be happy in the deepest sense; for the typical Avesta teammate, our commitment to our Virtues, Vision and Mission is something that should contribute to that person's happiness, inside and outside of their work environment.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always looking for A+ talent, by A+ we mean the top 1% in the industy. We want top producers. We people who are not only top producers in their company, yet top producers in the industry. We are currently looking for Operations Managers who have a deep comprehension of asset management. We also want self-driven, team-spirited fundraisers who can raise serious capital. With opportunities in virtually every corner of the company, Avesta is always (and we mean always) looking for the industry's best service and leasing professionals. Primary markets of opportunity for us include Dallas and Houston in Texas, and Denver, Colorado.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Go to avesta.com to check us out!
| 150 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 54% Job Growth|
| 26 Average applicants per opening|| 3,600 Total job applicants|
| 25% New hires by employee referrals|| 25% Openings filled by current employees|
| 13 Recent graduates hired|| 7% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|