Atlantic Health System employees feel invested in patient care, and appreciate perks like chair massages and gifts for Nurses Week. Many have worked at AHS for their whole career. 



This review is based on 702 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 3.57. It was published on Apr 20, 2015. 13961 Visitors

What You Should Know

Atlantic Health System feels like one big family—and a healthy one at that. Employees at the New Jersey health care system bond during celebrations for Nurses Week and Administrative Professionals Week, give back through bike rides for charity, and enjoy perks like chair massages and discounted gym memberships. No wonder 95 percent of employees say it is a friendly place to work, and that they want to work here for a long time. Indeed, many employees have stayed with Atlantic Health System for their entire careers. Given its culture of serving patients well, those who simply want to punch a clock may not fit in here. Says one employee, “I don't think that there is anything more satisfying than knowing you are contributing to the health and wellness of the population that our health system serves.” 


Atlantic Health System provides health care to patients in Northern New Jersey and parts of Eastern Pennsylvania. Specialties including pediatrics, orthopedics, cancer care, rehabilitation medicine, women's health, cardiovascular care and neuroscience. 

Website: US Headquarters: Morristown, New Jersey
US Sites: 6 Major Locations: Morristown, NJ; Summit, NJ; Pompton Plains, NJ; Newton, NJ
US Employees: 10312 US Revenues: $1624.95 million
Worldwide Revenues: $1624.95 million Founded: 1996
Industry: Health Care


Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected Atlantic Health System employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. An average of 87 percent of Atlantic Health System employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 9 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Atlantic Health System employees provide patient care and run a non-profit health care system. The company has approximately 10,312 employees in the United States, where they operate six locations. 

A large majority of employees (93 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and nearly as many (90 percent) say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the vast majority of employees (93 percent), their work at Atlantic Health System is more than just a job --  the employees feel empowered to care for patients which provides special meaning.

At Atlantic Health System, 90 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Atlantic Health System, 79 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, exceeding what one can typically expect even at the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $5,000
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 70 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 70 hours
  • Employees benefit from a state-of-the-art Learning Center with four training rooms, two computer labs and wireless technology, as well as a manager’s leadership development program and an internal transfer fair so that current employees can learn about other career opportunities within the organization. 
My immediate supervisor provides opportunities for professional growth. She allows autonomy while providing support. 

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

An average of 87 percent of Atlantic Health System employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 10 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Fun and Celebrations

  • Employees look forward to celebrations, including the week-long pride week complete with ice cream socials, massages and contests to show appreciation for employees, festivities for Nurses Week and Administrative Professionals Week and FORTUNE '100 Best Companies to Work For In America" celebrations.

Caring and Support

  • Employees get assistance balancing work and family demands through free legal, financial and child/elder care referral services. Employees also have access to a Crisis Care program to assist employees in instances where they need immediate care for children or adult relatives. 
People celebrate special events around here.
They try very hard to make this place more than just a place to work. They have several outings and ceremonies to show their appreciation to workers of all walks of life. I think it is nice that a system as large as AHS, makes every effort to thank all their employees on a regular basis.



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

An average of 83 percent of Atlantic Health System employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 13 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

Management recognizes employees that go above and beyond.


Average salary and additional cash compensation for Registered Nurse
Average salary and additional cash compensation for Manager
Company-paid health coverage for employees
Company-paid health coverage for dependents
22.5 hours
Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account


  • Subsidized lunch on a daily basis
  • Concierge service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Banking
  • Subsidized take-home meals 
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Convenience Store
  • Travel service


34 days
Holidays & vacation days, maximum PTO after one year of employment, depending on position
Adoption Benefit
60 days
Job Protected Leave maternity provided above and beyond FMLA


  • Flexible Schedule (24% use it)
  • Job Sharing (3% use it)
  • Lactation Rooms
  • Telecommute Option (23% use it)
  • Compressed Workweeks (22% use it)
  • Onsite Child Care
  • Elder Care Resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
Atlantic Health System has been terrific in supporting a work/family balance for me. They have been extremely supportive, for which I am very grateful. 


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments


  • Breast Cancer Screening
  • Skin Cancer Screening
  • Blood Pressure Screening
  • Complete Biometric Screening
  • Subsidized Offsite Gym Memberships
  • Prostate Cancer Screening
  • Cholesterol Tests
  • Flu Shots
  • Fitness Center

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

An average of 92 percent of Atlantic Health System employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 6 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Atlantic Health System's goal is to empower communities to make healthful decisions that support overall health and well-being. It is one of the largest non-profit health care systems in New Jersey. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
This is a large hospital with a number of specialties, which makes it a premier place for a number of patients who require more than one type of expertise.

Supporting the Community

  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $988,569
  • Employees participate in philanthropic programs, such as charity walks and bike rides, zumbathons to raise money for cancer research and volunteering in the community to educate people on health-related issues. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I like the community projects AHS provides to educate their local community on health and nutritional programs, which are available for their health at little to no cost.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

An average of 85 percent of Atlantic Health System employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 12 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Despite Atlantic Health System's size, most employees have access to management and the information they need. In fact, 88 percent of employees say managers keep them informed about important issues and changes, make their expectations clear and are approachable and easy to talk with.

This company keeps its employees well informed with all the happenings in and around the organization. 

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

An average of 84 percent of Atlantic Health System employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 12 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Atlantic Health System employees widely appreciate the caring atmosphere leaders encourage, as well as the pride management fosters regarding Atlantic Health System's mission to serve the community. Employees portray their leaders as effective, trustworthy and kind. A large majority (91 percent) say management is competent at running the business and has a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. Nine out of 10 employees feel management is honest and ethical in its business practices. And 88 percent believe leaders would lay people off only as a last resort.

Leadership provides a transparency that allows all of its employees to understand the path that is being taken. They explain where we are at, where we are going and why. 

Great Perks and Programs

  • Wellness Champions: Employees can volunteer as Wellness Champions to support employees in making healthy choices and collaborate on employee health programs. Employees also have access to discounted gym memberships at more than 200 fitness centers in New Jersey.
  • Rewards and Recognition: Employees are eligible for a variety of rewards programs, such as quarterly rewards for employees recognized by patients and their families, and monetary rewards and acknowledgement for accolades, such as best quality improvement or best patient safety. Managers also have access to special award boxes to give out movie tickets or gift cards as spot bonuses.
  • Service Awards: When employees reach their fifth service anniversary employers are able to choose a gift from a catalogue. Beginning with the employees tenth service anniversary (and every subsequent five years), employees are invited to a service awards dinner in addition to the gift from the catalogue.
  • Professional Development: Employees have access to new organization development courses on topics like managing complexity using critical thinking, bridging the generation divide, delegating and more.
  • Part-time Work for Retirees: Employees in or nearing retirement may participate in the 1000 Hour Club where they work on a limited basis (up to 1,000 hours per year) and enjoy flexible work arrangements without affecting their retirement benefits. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Atlantic Health System employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

Word Cloud

"AHS offers employees unparalleled benefits that go beyond medical and dental. The support for continued education, a positive regard for work/life balance, generous vacation time and a PENSION are just a few of the ways AHS supports employees as whole persons. There is a reason that many people stay at AHS throughout their careers - people are genuinely caring about both patients and their families, as well as their peers."

"We are managed well from both a fiscal and human standpoint. Always turn a profit and never have a mass reduction of people."

"The organization does a great job in making all employees feel important and that their actions make a big difference to delivering the best health care possible. Top management makes themselves available. Feedback can and is given in multiple ways, and it's always acted upon."

"We enjoy regular simple events, ice cream sundaes, pretzels, giveaways throughout the year. Communication between staff and management is open. Suggestions for new ideas and processes are welcomed."

"The freedom to express your opinions in an open environment is very unique to our workplace. We are encouraged to share both good and bad and are not looked down on for doing so."

"I feel empowered to give my thoughts and opinions and always feel that I am listened to. The management team that I work with is progressive and optimistic."

"AHS treats its employees as family. Every level staff member is treated with respect and dignity. The culture and attitude is a positive one at every level."

"I think that the wellness programs and initiatives are unique and I enjoy taking part. I also NEVER worked anywhere else where our birthday was recognized."

"Management embraces quality care and provides resources and encouragement to those who strive to achieve quality. There is cooperation among departments and professionals to get the job done."

"People who join Atlantic Health often stay for decades - not years. I feel like family and our CEO is a genuine person who encourages us all to do our best and to treat our patients like family!"

"The company is always looking for opportunities that will improve the health and well-being of its employees such as gym memberships. Each year the company continues to offer new services for your entire family (such as pet services and elder care services)."

"It is the ONLY place I have worked where I feel I can (and would like to) have a long-term career - I have worked over seven years with AH and that is by far the longest I have ever worked for one company (prior long-term job was four years and that was only once)."

How to Get Hired

We asked Atlantic Health System for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

Atlantic Health System is committed to recruiting, hiring and retaining quality personnel. We search for candidates who are the best fit for Atlantic Health System and who best meets the department's needs. AHS has created interviewing questions and tools that provide recruitment and the hiring managers with the ability to best assess the key characteristics within job-related behavioral competencies. These behavioral-based interviewing questions encourage candidates to provide examples of specific scenarios and experiences they have encountered within their career and how they handle the situation and what the outcomes were. All questions are linked to the AHS PRIDE shared values/competencies (P - professionalism, R - respect, I - involvement, D - dignity and E - excellence) that all employees are evaluated on during their annual performance appraisals.  

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Some of these opportunities are to participate in the various community outreach programs that AHS offers throughout the year: college job fairs, HS and technical school job fairs, conventions, etc. We host open houses and open interview days where HR and department representatives are available to speak with potential candidates. This is a great opportunity for prospective employees to take advantage of. Prospective employees have the opportunity to also participate in many resume clinics, where AHS and other hospitals participate in reviewing resumes with prospective candidates making recommendations if appropriate. Prospective employees should research any internships, per diem employment opportunities and shadow programs offered throughout the year. These opportunities are offered to different levels such as high school shadow programs, summer internship programs for student nurses and even per diem employment opportunities while they are in school or for those who wish to see if AHS is the right fit.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

Atlantic Health System utilizes a talent assessment software to predict candidates' success based on past job performance from managers, co-workers and direct reports. This tool reduces employee turnover, and increases recruitment efficiencies resulting in customer satisfaction. This confidential process asks candidates for four or five references and questions are competency and behavioral based. Managers utilize the tool to further assess candidate eligibility resulting in quality hires.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

Each year HR conducts a rigorous analysis of the workforce to assess current staffing efforts and forecast future staffing demands. In anticipation of growth and future staffing needs, Recruitment's efforts will concentrate on specialty nurses such as, ED, OR, NICU and case management etc. As a result of these findings, Atlantic Health System has taken a proactive approach to strategize various recruitment initiatives. 

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

The new career site launched in April with a fresh new look featuring quick navigation and easy-to-use search functions. It can be accessed from all mobile devices. External candidates have the option to view a calendar of open house and recruitment events and stay connected with career news from AHS. An interactive Google map also allows candidates to search open positions in their preferred locations. Interested candidates are welcomed to search our AHS new career website to explore endless employment opportunities.

Hiring Outlook

17%Job Growth 40Average number of applicants per opening
3%Total voluntary turnover in past year 88610Applicants in past year
1573Openings in past year 7%New hires by employee referrals

Follow Atlantic Health System

Related Companies