What You Should Know
In the face of challenging and important work, people at Apollo International say they can count on open communication, trust and concern from managers and co-workers alike.
Apollo relies on its security employees to perform their duties rain or shine, 24-7 at client sites around the country. In turn, team members confirm company leaders make a visible effort to meet their professional and personal needs at work. "Everyone from the top down has been approachable and easy to get along with," says one employee. "I can be myself and be appreciated for it."
A majority of co-workers cast Apollo as a place where managers respect those they supervise, and vice versa. More than eight in ten employees say their leaders trust people to do good work without looking over their shoulders. At the same time, multiple team members expressed a sense that managers look out for them. As one puts it, "Management has gone out of its way to ensure I have a healthy work-home life balance and shows genuine concern for my well-being."
Communication is another area where most employees feel the company stands apart. Team members can ask questions of senior leaders directly during quarterly calls on the company's performance, while multiple awards programs recognize people for exceptional work. Among Apollo employees, 81 percent describe their managers as easy-to-talk-to; and nearly as many confirm they make expectations clear. "One instance: I was unsure of post procedures and was able to give the manager a call early Sunday morning and he answered promptly and politely. I was amazed, and he stated, 'don't ever hesitate to call,'" another team member says.
While Apollo exceeds what is common in the industry, a share of people at Apollo suggest its benefits and bonuses could be improved. At the same time, most are happy with the warmth of the atmosphere within the organization. It can be a challenge to create strong connections across a team with many remote workers, so Apollo encourages staff to become as much a part of their customers' teams as their own and makes a point of taking remote employees out for special team dinners in order to connect in person. Among surveyed employees, 86 percent describe Apollo as a friendly place to work, while 82 percent agree it makes newcomers feel welcomed.
"When I got out of service from the Army, I applied here and I was called within 24 hours. I have never been called back that fast," recounts one team member. "I have fun every day I work and enjoy who I work with."
What Employees Say
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
Management is approachable, easy to talk with.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Management makes its expectations clear.
WHAT THEY DO
We asked Apollo Security International, Inc to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a veteran owned security services company with unique global capabilities that is built around the philosophy of taking care of the troops. In our business, it's quality people who drive quality service.
| Website: www.apollointernational.com
|| US Headquarters: Walpole, Massachusetts
| US Sites: 160
|| Major Locations: Boston, Massachusetts; New York City, NY; Indianapolis, IN; Memphis, TN; Minneapolis, MN
| US Employees: 2014
|| Founded: 1990
| Industry: Professional Services
Perks and Programs
We asked Apollo Security International, Inc to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Star Performer Program: Apollo has a company-wide employee recognition program called Star Performer. Each month, every area and account manager solicits nominations from employees in their area and then our area manager and human resources manager select a winner. The winner receives a Certificate of Appreciation, a $100.00 bonus and their name is listed on a plaque in the Area Office. At the end of the year, each Area Manager then selects a Star Performer of the Year who is chosen from the twelve monthly winners.
- Spot Award Program: In addition to the Star Performer program, we have various spot award programs to recognize employees. Certificate of Excellence Awards Longevity Awards Merit Achievement Awards Perfect Attendance Awards Customer Satisfaction Awards
- Quality Trained Officer Program (QTO): Through our web-based programming, security officers, supervisors, and managers are able to access our online training courses twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The prepared online courses are designed to provide additional information on specific topics that impact the daily activities of our security personnel. As part of our Quality Trained Officer Program, any employee who completes 20 approved on-line courses receives a $50 (grossed up) bonus and they become eligible for Supervisor Leadership Training. They can do this every year of their employment.
- Gain Sharing Incentive Program: The Apollo Gain Sharing Incentive is a customer driven program that is designed to reward employees at a particular customer site for initiatives they identify as a team that will reduce the customers overall cost while at the same time improve the quality of service.
- Apollo Scholarship Program: The Apollo Scholarship Program is designed to help its most loyal and dedicated people by showing the company’s support of their ambitions. We promote higher education in the same manner as we do employee training. We believe education will not only present opportunities for our people and their career, the company will also benefit from their new skills and motivation.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 10% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 5% of an employee's salary
|| 68% Company-paid health coverage for employees
| 50% Company-paid health coverage for dependents
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- On-site package/mailing service
- Vehicle maintenance
- Free beverages during the day
- Discount ticket sales
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 13 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
|| 60 days Job protected maternity leave
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Unpaid sabbaticals
- Telecommute option
- Compressed work weeks
- Flexible schedule
- Job sharing
- Phased retirement planning
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Apollo Security International, Inc employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"Upper management shows an unusual amount of loyalty to good employees."
"Management and Senior Management have always treated its employees fairly and with respect. When asked for my opinion I feel the response from management was genuine. Employees receive the recognition they deserve, when it's deserved. There are multiple recognition programs currently at my site. Apollo is an employee first company, not just the "bottom line." Management has gone out of its way to ensure I have a healthy work/ home life balance and show genuine concern for my well-being. I have been asked many times if I'm "doing ok" or "is there anything you need from us." The concern for the employees is a constant. "
"You're not just a number here. You are part of the Apollo family."
"I do not have anyone looking over my shoulder to make sure that I have completed my assignments. I have never encountered a fellow employee that was less than highly courteous and professional. "
"We often have quarterly meetings and everyone is informed on important events. Awards and acknowledgements are given, and we work on problem solving. Also, this company raises your pay according to your job performance."
"While growing as a company, Apollo maintains a personal sense to their business. This is experienced daily in Apollo's commitment to quality service and employee welfare. People genuinely care for one another and management helps those in times of need. Apollo is a people company."
How to Get Hired
We asked Apollo Security International, Inc for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
There are three general principles that define our philosophy on personnel selection. First we promote from within, seeking passion & attitude before aptitude. We seek appealing, friendly, enthusiastic personalities. People who take joy in helping others. We always place our Veterans at the top of the candidate pool.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
1. Demonstrate professional and personal passion
2. Smile. Be friendly, kind and respectful
3. Take charge and demonstrate confidence.
4. Show humility about your success
5. Show, don’t tell.
Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?
In addition to our three mandatory interview process we conduct a thorough background screen which consists of the following: Background Investigations After an applicant has successfully completed our application process we then conduct a ten (10) year background investigation that consists of the following: Verify the applicant’s addresses; E-Verify (SS#) - legal status/eligible to work if not a U.S. citizen Criminal record checks in accordance to local State laws and customer requirements Education verification Personal reference checks with at least two listed and/or developed references Military service verification (DD-214) Previous 3 years employment verification
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Business Development Managers - (multiple US Markets), Key Account Managers (Multiple Markets), Social Media Security Analyst (Memphis), Investigators (Memphis), Market Leader (Texas), Human Resource Support (Tennessee), Market Leader (Minneapolis, Milwaukee), Global Services Support
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Go to www.apollointernational.com
|50Average number of applicants per opening
||23%Total voluntary turnover in past year
|6400Applicants in past year
||700Openings in past year
|20%New hires by employee referrals
Follow Apollo International