What Employees Say
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
What They Do
We asked American States Utility Services, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
American States Utility Services, Inc. contracts with the federal government to provide water and wastewater services including operating, maintaining, renewing, replacing, and constructing new systems on military installations throughout the US. Our mission and our passion: “Serving those who serve.”
About this Company
| Website: www.asusinc.com|| Industry: Other|
| US Headquarters: Fredricksburg, Virginia, 22401|| US Sites: 9|
| Major Locations: Fort Bliss, Texas, 79906; Fort Eustis / Fort Lee / Fort Story, Virginia, 23604; Fort Bragg, North Carolina, 28310; Fort Jackson, South Carolina, 29207; Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, 20762; Eglin Airforce Base, Florida, 32542; Fort Riley, Kansas, 66442|| US Employees: 230|
| US Revenues: $100.3 million|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: AWR|| Founded: 1998|
Perks and Programs
We asked American States Utility Services, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Discretionary Bonus: Managers are empowered and encouraged to provide discretionary bonuses to non-managerial staff in recognition of stellar performance above and beyond their scope of responsibilities. Bonuses can range from $500 - $2500, and can be provided to the same employee multiple times throughout the year (not to exceed $5000 per employee per calendar year).
- Theme Park Discount Tickets: Employees enjoy significantly discounted theme park rates through our employer discount program. Throughout the year, several employees take advantage of hosting friends and family at Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World, Universal Studios and Legoland, among other locations throughout Southern California.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees are able to complete their Associate or Bachelor degree programs with the financial assistance of the Company. IRS tax limitations apply.
- Time Off Award: Employees of American States Utility Services are recognized for going above and beyond their normal responsibilities with a "Time Off" award. This award program entitles the employee to be recognized by their manager with an additional "free" day off. Time Off awards can be given for various levels of accomplishments or contributions. A Time Off Award provides that an employee may be awarded with one or more vacation days up to a maximum of five (5) additional days off within any calendar year.
- Scholarship Program: American States Utility Services, Inc. and its wholly-owned Subsidiaries (ASUS, Inc.) has established a scholarship program to assist dependent children of active, full-time U.S. Military members at ASUS served locations who are current high school seniors and planning to continue their education in college or vocational school programs in the fields of environmental science, technology, environmental engineering, biology, chemistry, medical sciences, mathematical sciences, business management or acquisition and contract management. Renewable scholarships are offered each year for full-time study at an accredited institution of the student's choice.
- Community Outreach: Serving Those Who Serve. We are heavily involved in Community Outreach in the communities that surround the bases where our offices are located. Our Community Outreach Committee selects the activities we will participate in annually.
- Peer to Peer Awards: The Peer to Peer (P2P) program aims to provide a platform for employees to recognize each other and to encourage a positive atmosphere, all while fostering collaboration and teamwork. The P2P program gives employees the opportunity to recognize their fellow teammates by recommending them to Management using the Peer Spot Bonus Award Recommendation form which, if approved, will reward the recommended employee with a Spark! Spot Bonus Reward card that is redeemable at Michael C. Fina’s Spark! online gift catalog.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 3% of salary||85% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 85% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 85% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 22 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 17 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 10 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 10 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
| 22 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 17 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 16 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $85,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| Yes Recycling program|
- Senior Vice President oversees diversity and inclusion practices
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Under-represented racial/ethnic minority groups; Women
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked American States Utility Services, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
From the construction yard to the back office, our team is comprised of the highest-caliber individuals in every field, bringing nothing but the very best to our customers. And with many of our employees’ backgrounds in the military itself, we’re able to incorporate a genuine appreciation for the specific needs of the installations we serve with every project we undertake. To provide the optimum efficiency our bases depend on, we employ our process-oriented approach at every phase of our work, from the initial conception of an operation’s plan to the ongoing maintenance of all its utility systems. While our work demands an extremely careful attention to detail, ASUS also looks to the future, striving to identify and implement innovative processes constantly improving our service and creating new solutions for tomorrow’s problems. Serving Those Who Serve.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Make sure your application for employment is complete, error free and highlights your qualifications for the position to which you are applying.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Specific expertise in water and wastewater O&M, engineering, capital project management, and subcontract administration.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Please visit our website at www.asusinc.com There, you will find detailed information on the bases we support and discover information on how to apply for our fabulous employment opportunities.
| 100 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 48% Job Growth|
| 30 Average applicants per opening|| 3,500 Total job applicants|
| 20% New hires by employee referrals|| 50% Openings filled by current employees|
| 10 Recent graduates hired|| 26% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|