What Employees Say
People celebrate special events around here.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
What They Do
We asked American Campus Communities to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are the largest developer, owner and manager of high-quality student housing communities, serving colleges and universities across North America.
About this Company
| Website: americancampus.com|| Industry: Real Estate|
| US Headquarters: Austin, Texas, 78738|| US Employees: 331|
| Employees Worldwide: 3,178|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: ACC|| Founded: 1993|
Perks and Programs
We asked American Campus Communities to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Giving Back: At American Campus Communities, we’re all about building community and empowering young people. That starts at our communities, but it doesn’t stop there. American Campus Charities Foundation supports charitable activities focused on disadvantaged youth and education in our hometown of Austin, Texas as well as in the local markets served by our communities.
Through the American Campus Charity Foundation, as well as the individual efforts of our team members, we’ve raised over $2.8 million to help community organizations make a difference in the lives of young people in Austin and in the communities where we operate. Our executive leadership and dedicated staff also volunteer their time, expertise and resources to help these philanthropies advance their missions of supporting youth in need with a focus on education, shelter and well-being. Every C-level executive at ACC holds a board position at one of our designated philanthropies, actively fundraising and advancing their mission.
- Employee development: American Campus Communities is dedicated to the success of its employees, with employee development serving as the backbone of ACC’s growth.
ACC’s Employee Development focus is to identify and have knowledge of internal talent with the purpose of connecting that talent with opportunities for professional growth. The Employee Development team works closely with the Training Department and Residence Life to support all American Campus employees in their pursuit of growth. This is achieved through conferences, developmental programs and training opportunities.
- Inside Track: Inside Track is ACC’s formal employee development program for student workers and community-level team members. The program consists of intensive training and a six-month mentoring program emphasizing residence life, human resource management, business operations, marketing and leasing, facilities, and career development. Inside Track boasts 335 graduates, 12 of whom have advanced to Senior Vice President or above. Of the 109 employees accepted to the program in the last three years, 66 have advanced to the role of a general manager or a corporate support position.
- Promoting from Within: ACC’s commitment to promoting from within creates a strong foundation of grassroots experience. Every team member brings a first-hand understanding of the unique aspects of the student housing business and the development and/or operational expertise to execute on the visions of our partners. Our commitment to job training and our promote-from-within approach means your opportunities can be as vast as your ambition.
- Leadership Conference: Each year, ACC hosts a Leadership Conference that invites General and Area Managers from American Campus communities across the country as well as corporate staff to attend trainings and learn from guest speakers, subject matter experts, role playing and networking. The three- to four-day conference provides an opportunity for property and corporate staff alike to expand their knowledge base as a company.
- Health and Wellness: The American Campus Wellness program strives to provide all American Campus Communities team members with informational resources, external affiliations, and internal company programs that focus on fitness, nutrition, and lifestyle, to empower them to take accountability for, and improve, their health and wellness.
The Health & Wellness team provides regular blog posts, guest speakers, healthy recipes and tips for healthy living, as well as ACC discounts at gyms and wellness centers. Once a year, ACC hosts a Health & Wellness Fair for its employees. The full-day event features a variety of vendors with informational presentations, cholesterol screenings, door prizes, giveaways and free samples. The Health & Wellness team also provides free flu shots to employees each year, as well as a CPR certification class, which includes training on CPR for adults, children and infants, choking emergencies, AED use, rescue breathing and basic first aid.
- Communications - Bill's Quarterly Call: With nearly 350 corporate employees and thousands of employees at ACC communities across the nation, creating a unified company culture requires effective communication. Each quarter, CEO Bill Bayless hosts a call with all ACC employees both at the corporate office and at our locations nationwide. ACC’s goal with the quarterly update is to provide quality time for the company to discuss results and progress on our strategic initiatives, and provide an open forum where employees are encouraged to ask questions.
- Turn Draft: In a continued effort to create a unified company culture, ACC’s corporate staff hosts an annual “Turn Draft.” “Turn” refers to the annual turning of all residential units at each ACC community across the country. Turn requires countless hours of hard work at each community, so each year corporate staff members volunteer to spend up to a week on location at an ACC community, assisting in any way needed. The company-wide effort to have a successful turn helps to fuel ACC’s unity from coast to coast.
- Culture Committee: The Culture Committee’s purpose is to create a positive and productive environment for all team members by facilitating fun activities and engaging programs in an effort to give back to the community, surprise and delight our employees, and create team spirit at American Campus Communities. The Culture Committee meets monthly to plan events and activities from quarterly birthday celebrations and holiday parties to games and trivia, and everything in between. ACC’s Culture Committee also plans and facilitates many of the company’s Give Back opportunities, including as Handbags for Hope, Stuff the Truck, Coats for Kids, and Day of Giving, where ACC employees can spend the work day giving back to the community.
- Benefits: In addition to offers for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, paid vacation and sick time, and an employee education reimbursement program, ACC employees are entitled to benefits ranging from maternity leave and identity repair and credit monitoring to a variety of retail and destination discounts.
Follow American Campus Communities