What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Management is competent at running the business.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
What They Do
We asked Alston & Bird LLP to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Alston & Bird is a leading national law firm whose core practice areas are intellectual property, complex litigation, corporate and tax, with national industry focuses that include financial services, technology, health care, manufacturing, life sciences and energy.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.alston.com/|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Atlanta, Georgia, 30309|| US Sites: 9|
| Major Locations: Charlotte, North Carolina, 28280; Dallas, Texas, 75201; Los Angeles, California, 90071; New York, New York, 10016; Research Triangle, North Carolina, 27601; East Palo Alto, California, 94303; Washington, District of Columbia, 20004; San Francisco, California, 94105|| US Employees: 1,606|
| US Revenues: $781.8 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $781.8 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 1,610|| Corporate Structure: Partnership|
| Founded: 1893|
Perks and Programs
We asked Alston & Bird LLP to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Family Planning Perks: The firm sets aside convenient parking spaces for pregnant employees, offers a special mentoring program for new primary caregivers returning to work and sends a gift basket when a child is born. There is a $10,000 benefit available for adoption and surrogacy. The firm offers up to 18 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers, and up to 4 weeks for non-primary caregivers, applying to adoption as well. Employees also contribute to a cooperative maternity closet and have access to nursing mother rooms equipped with a comfy chair and fridge. The firm also offers and covers the cost of a breast milk shipping services to make travelling easier for A&B working mothers.
- Paid Time for Volunteering: All employees are given 15 hours of paid time off each year to participate in community service projects of their choice, and attorneys get up to 150 hours of billable hour credit to do pro bono work. With the Dollars for Doers program, when an employee has dedicated 50 hours of service or more to a nonprofit of their choice, the firm will make a financial contribution to that charity on behalf of the employee. The firm also has an internal grants program to support volunteers serving in nonprofit leadership roles.
- Concierge: The concierge is available to do almost anything the firm’s employees don’t have time to do or don’t want to do, saving them time, energy and stress. The concierge has been used to drop off and deliver dry cleaning and prescriptions, do grocery shopping, wait for the cable guy, walk the dog, purchase and wrap gifts during the holidays, and more. Whether in one of our U.S. offices or across the ocean in Brussels or Beijing, our Concierge program is available to help.
- Customized Work Environments: Employees have the option to telecommute, job share, or take advantage of schedule flextime. Compressed work weeks are also options, with 9/75 schedules and 4 day work weeks available. The firm realizes that the typical Monday – Friday (9am – 5pm) schedule does not work for everyone and understands the importance of a healthy work/life balance. For that reason the firm has put certain policies in place so that employees may have the option of a customized work schedule and/or environment.
- Childcare: The firm offers both short and long-term childcare options. Employees have access to in-home back-up care at a rate of $4 per hour as well as center based back-up care for $15 per day. Resources are available to help employees find qualified babysitters and nannies for long-term or night and weekend care. In Atlanta, there is an on-site childcare center with full-time, part-time, back-up and summer camp options available at subsidized rates. In other offices A&B employees have priority access to high quality childcare centers. Finding quality care for your child can be challenging and expensive which is why the firm has been dedicated to offering high quality and reasonably priced childcare resources to our employees for over 30 years.
- Adult/Elder Caregiving: Employees of the firm have access to in-home adult/eldercare at a rate of $4 per hour for basic companion services. Nursing services are available at a higher hourly rate. Resources are also available for employees to find longer term care for their aging loved ones. The firm offers two caregiving support groups for employees in similar caregiving situations. Having an aging parent, family member or friend can be stressful and challenging which is why the firm offers resources to help cope with the process of caring for an elder.
- Physical Wellness: The firm offers a web-based wellness portal, Virgin Pulse, on-site Zumba classes, as well as free access to gym facilities and discounted gym memberships. Each office has a health station, equipped with a WiFi enabled digital scale and blood pressure machine. Weekly organized group walks take place, quarterly firm wide well-being challenges are held and employees participate in small group healthy habits challenges year-round. Employees can attend on-site biometric screenings and Weight Watchers at Work meetings. The firm cares about the overall health and wellness of our employees and enjoys making these resources available. The firm even provides a dollar incentive to employees that participate in the Virgin Pulse wellness program.
- Loan Refinancing: Employees of the firm are able to refinance their student loans and/or mortgage loans with an initial $500 bonus for doing so. Employees are also able to refinance personal loans with an initial $200 bonus. Student loans, especially in the legal profession, can be daunting, therefore the firm partners with refinancing organizations to help employees through this process.
- EAP and Other Referral Services: The firm offers up to 8 free counseling sessions per year to all employees and their immediate family. The Employee Assistance Program is completely confidential and can be used to receive counseling for things such as relationship/marital problems, alcohol/drug abuse, financial/legal problems, stress problems, child/adolescent problems, and more. Additionally the firm has contracted with a referral service that can provide all A&B employees at no charge to the employee, with assistance in finding the best resources for their families for Child Care, Elder Care, Adoption Planning, College Planning, Educational Materials, School Age Resources, Financial Services and Legal Services and more.
- Lunch & Learn Programs: The firm offers ongoing lunch & learn programs with topics ranging from good health, diversity and sustainability to financial wellness and retirement planning. A few examples of this year’s programming include: A Healthier You, Women’s History Month TED Talk, Sustainable Tips for Office & Home, Top 10 Ways to Save on Healthcare Costs, and Age Based Retirement Planning.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 1% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 2% of salary||88% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 73% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 90% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $1,234 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 34 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 28 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 28 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (5% use it)
- Telecommute option (5% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (2% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (50% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (dining room
fitness and yoga classes
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|120 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||120 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|120 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||30 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|30 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||23 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$10,000 Adoption benefit||120 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
|120 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- On-site or near-site backup childcare center
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 15 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $1,616,566 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| Partner and Sustainability Program Chair Leads environmental impact team|| 5 LEED certified building(s)|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Recycling program|| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Diversity Partners oversees diversity and inclusion practices
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Under-represented racial/ethnic minority groups; Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees
- 30 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked Alston & Bird LLP for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
The most important characteristic is having a positive attitude. We always say that we hire the attitude and train for the right skills. We also look for prospective employees to have strong customer service skills, a passion for serving others while valuing a diverse environment.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
It is important to follow our hiring protocols on our website making sure to show up for interviews on time, dressed professionally and bearing a great attitude.
The Careers section of the site overviews Life at Alston & Bird and highlights specific attributes and characteristics we focus on in the hiring process. We ask that committed candidates understand we expect employees to:
Be committed to excellence;
Be a Team Player;
Remain proud of the firm’s legacy;
Give back to the community.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
At the moment we are mostly sustaining the positions we currently have in place.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates can learn more about the firm and opportunities by visiting our website www.alston.com.
| 100 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 4% Job Growth|
| 139 Average applicants per opening|| 16,671 Total job applicants|
| 18% New hires by employee referrals|| 11% Openings filled by current employees|
| 45 Recent graduates hired|| 10% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 9% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|