What You Should Know
Eager to help clients and colleagues alike, employees at 2nd Watch are proud of their niche in the evolving world of cloud computing.
Nearly all co-workers at this Eastern Washington company (98 percent) agree it's a congenial place to do business. Says one, "Every single person throughout the organization goes out of their way to make you feel welcomed, comfortable and part of the family. The knowledge sharing is top notch."
That know-how comes highly valued at 2nd Watch, which kicks in the cost of professional courses and rewards those who earn certifications with a $1,500 bonus. Multiple employees commented on the respect they have for each other's expertise and their willingness to pitch in to solve problems. Outside their day-to-day duties, team members also come together during holiday parties, spontaneous Nerf gun fights and a fitness challenge where they win pies they can chuck at executives. As a result, nine in 10 employees agree that 2nd Watch knows how to celebrate special events, while 94 percent praise the company's perks overall.
"Our benefits are awesome. We don't have a formal PTO policy, and this allows us to manage our schedule how we see fit," one employee says. "The company pays for our healthcare premiums, and we get to have lunch as a team once a week."
With roughly 100 employees, that team is comparatively small and will appeal to people who favor a more entrepreneurial environment over the structure of a larger tech company. A share of colleagues also suggest that managers could work on communicating more clearly. At the same time, though, 91 percent of employees say they're eager to tell others where they work. Most tend to cast 2nd Watch as a cohesive organization that strives to balance the demands of serving clients with the need for fun and time to recharge. Says one employee, "Everyone is given a lot of responsibility but also a lot of trust in their positions. I feel supported in my personal career growth and goals. Also, the smaller company size makes it feel very friendly and personal."
What Employees Say
We have special and unique benefits here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I can be myself around here.
People celebrate special events around here.
What They Do
We asked 2nd Watch, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We make the public cloud work better for large enterprises by helping them adopt and manage it in more prescriptive and tailored ways through a combination of services and software.
About this Company
| Website: www.2ndwatch.com|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Liberty Lake, Washington|| US Sites: 3|
| Major Locations: Liberty Lake, Washington; Seattle, Washington; New York, New York; Atlanta, Georgia; Chicago, Illinois|| US Employees: 98|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2010|
Perks and Programs
We asked 2nd Watch, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- dreamBIG: 2nd Watch helps make our employees dreams come true! This is one of the unique programs that sets us apart and shows how great of a place 2W is to work! Each employee has the opportunity to turn their dreams into reality while also giving back to a community in need! In 2015 2W sent 6 people to South Africa and Guatemala to build computer labs and donate supplies to orphanages in need. After the work was done the teams were also able to explore the surroundings of the amazing countries (and all on 2W's dime)!
- Wellness: 2nd Watch organizes annual on-site biometric screenings to make it easy for our employees to stay involved and informed regarding their health. Our 4 week long walking challenge is getting employees moving more in the quest for a high step count each day. The challenge culminates in the raffle of Fitbits, Kindle Fires, movie tickets, etc. And they will also win pies that they will use to cream the executives with at a company event. 2nd Watch stocks the kitchen with healthy foods, fruits and vegetables to increase the convenience of healthy eating. We also buy snacks from Snack Nation, a company that has aligned itself with Feeding America. For every box we buy from Snack Nation, they donate 10 meals via Feeding America.
- Fun at Work: 2nd Watch encourages fun in the workplace and each Friday we bring in catered food so our employees can eat lunch together and socialize in a relaxed setting. We also like to dress-up so for Halloween we run a costume contest and in December we run a Best/Worst Holiday Sweater contest. Nerf gun wars randomly erupt so always be prepared as you walk around!
- Certification Reward: 2nd Watch believes in training and offer extensive training opportunities for our employees. 2nd Watch also believes in awarding hard work, so for each AWS certification that an employee earns, we pay out a $1,500 certification bonus.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|100% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 100% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
- Stock options to employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
- Discount ticket sales
- Subsidized public transportation
- Free beverages during the day
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- Personal travel service
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 14 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (50% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||25 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||10 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents||25 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Complete biometric screening
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| $30,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from 2nd Watch, Inc. employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"The company is made up of uniquely intelligent and driven individuals who work in a cutting-edge industry. With a staff almost entirely made up of alpha personalities, it is amazing how well management does in blending everyone into effective teams. "
"Any time we need time off, all we have to do is talk with our manager and communicate with our team members. We are always supportive of the needs of our team members. We all pull the weight together, and that's great."
"We are all in this together, and it feels like it. It's a true family."
"The managers and executives all teamed up and cooked the entire team breakfast over the Christmas holiday. Even though I was a contractor who had just joined, they shared the same perk of movie tickets and a concession card to purchase goodies for the movies, and this was after only two weeks of working here."
"Everyone is incredibly friendly here. Management is really down to earth, easy to talk to and very understanding. The team I am on is like my second family."
"2nd Watch does a great job of creating a team vibe. We are all here to make our clients' experience first-class. Many of our resources go above and beyond the call of duty to get the job done."
"The founders and executives are very accessible."
"It's great to feel that your contributions are going to change the way an industry/people/communities do business! I am very happy to be part of that!"
"There is certainly a startup feel here (kitchen stocked with food, catered Friday lunches), yet practices are a healthy blend of mature and entrepreneurial. I believe that anyone in the organization could offer improvement suggestions and, due to open communication lines, it would be heard and embraced and the suggester would be empowered to make it happen."
"We have world-class people on our team that are the experts in their field. I really enjoy working with the team. Everyone is very helpful and quick to lend a hand, if needed."
How to Get Hired
We asked 2nd Watch, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Hiring people who are the right fit for 2nd Watch and ensuring that we are the perfect fit for them is extremely important to us. We seek people that are team orientated, collaborative, supportive, ambitious, successful, passionate, inspired and creative. We look for people that always work with integrity, honesty and trust. 2nd Watch is one of the hottest, fastest growing companies in enterprise cloud - we are at the forefront of cutting edge technology, so we seek people that are passionate about technology, people that are not afraid to take risks, to change the game, push the boundaries and try something that’s never been done. We work to be the best and to provide our customers with the best. We know that we are picky and that we are not going to be the perfect fit for everyone.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
To get our attention, prospective employees should demonstrate genuine interest and passion for what they do. They should carry themselves with honesty, be prepared to be themselves and show their personality, perhaps their sense of humor, their personal aims and goals. We are high achievers, so showing us specific examples of success is always a plus. And of course, we want to know why they are interested in 2nd Watch.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
2nd Watch is in a high-growth stage right now and we are hiring rapidly across the country. Some of the positions that we are hiring for include: Solutions Architect, Account Manager, Product Manager, Cloud Operations Engineer, Cloud Consultant, & Developer. Prospective employees with prior AWS experience would have an advantage but above all, we seek people excited about 2nd Watch and the success and growth that we are experiencing.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates should visit our website at: www.2ndwatch.com and view our advertised jobs, follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, & FaceBook or call us directly- we are always happy to talk to prospective new employees!
| 25 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 21% Job Growth|
| 19 Average applicants per opening|| 600 Applications received|
| 67 Positions filled in past year|| 36% New hires by employee referrals|
| 28 New positions created|| 9 Jobs filled by current employees|
| 2 New graduates hired|| 15% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 40% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|